No announcement yet.

Apple speculation thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm quite looking forward to any tablet announcement now. Although it won't be the be-all and end all of it I imagine it'll be initially pushed as a super e-reader with a mags/book/comic section of iTunes announced. A lot of the big US newspapers have been getting together for a digital strategy and I read somewhere about Random House hooking up with Apple for something.
    I can't say I'd want to just dump all paper for the screen but for throwaway mags/papers (stuff like Empire etc.) I'd happily do it.

Comment

It won't be a reader, don't most e-readers use a different screen technology more suited to static text and low on power useage?

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
        It won't be a reader, don't most e-readers use a different screen technology more suited to static text and low on power useage?
        But at the moment e-ink devices (like the Kindle) are only b&w. I reckon, the tablet will have a screen like the iphone/touch and focus more on magazines and stuff like textbooks for uni students. People will moan that it's harder on the eyes than e-ink for longer reading but for mags it'll be fine. Of course, the unknowns, at the moment, are if they've extended battery life etc. but I reckon Apple won't worry too much about that. If it lasts as long as an iphone on one charge they'll be happy with that.

Can see it being permanently online 3G/wi-fi too so you can get a subscription to a newspaper/mag and have it automatically pumped to the device when a new issue comes out.

I can't see it replacing print but it's the start of popularising a digital replacement.

Comment

It'll use LCD or OLED but I think Apple will pimp it as an e-reader.

I own a Sony e-reader and there's just no comparisson between one of those and a backlit LCD. The fact the tablet is going to be bigger, heavier and have a limited battery life means they just won't compete on that front (except obviously when it comes to colour)

Comment

I love reading comics on my PSP, I wonder if it'll have support for them? It's be nice to read them on a big screen, as good as the PSP implementation is (and it's really very good).

Comment

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post
              It'll use LCD or OLED but I think Apple will pimp it as an e-reader.

I own a Sony e-reader and there's just no comparisson between one of those and a backlit LCD. The fact the tablet is going to be bigger, heavier and have a limited battery life means they just won't compete on that front (except obviously when it comes to colour)
              I don't think OLED is cheap enough to use in a device like that, Sony's 11" OLED is still like $2500 in the states.

Comment

Simulate what it's like to have a week old Apple Tablet right now by snapping the lid off your macbook, rubbing a kebab over the screen and then dropping it onto a concrete floor

Comment

Or having a glass screen big enough so that when you leave it on the sofa and it switches off, someone plonks their fat ass on it and kills the screen.

Comment

I really cant see an apple tablet being anywhere near affordable though. A mac is the best part of a grand. iPhone 3gs is over £500 on payg, and still a few hundred when bought with a contract. I can see this coming in at well over £700.

Gotta love speculation , at least well find out soon enough, along with what iphone firmware 4.0 will add, if thats there that is.

Comment

I'll go and stroke one in the Apple store and then return home to my trusty Dell Mini 9.

Comment

Evidence points to the tablet being a 'premium' (read: $$$) tablet, possibly subsidised by phone carriers.

Comment

I'd like to see:

iPhone/Touch firmware 4.0:

- Background App Running
                          - Quick Reply SMS
                          - Quick App Switching (with Background App)
                          - Full Bluetooth Support (A2DP & AVCRP for remote function)
                          - Quick Settings (turn on/off settings easily)

Basically I want Firmware 4.0 to be everything thats worthwhile about jailbreaking your phone right now. But what I really want is this:

iPhone 4G model:

- 64GB
                          - Larger Screen
                          - Longer Battery Life
                          - Full HD 720p playback
                          - 5 Megapixel Camera
                          - Full HD video record
                          - Wireless N compatible
                          - Slimmer
                          - Comes with in-ear headphones with inline volume/mic controls (like the new shuffle)

And the "I can dream" section:

- Game version of the iPhone with slide-out tactile controls a la PSP Go.

Comment

Mac Book Wheel
                            The Onion brings you all of the latest news, stories, photos, videos and more from America's finest news source.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
                              - Full HD 720p playback
                              Pretty pointless on a 3" screen no?

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                                Pretty pointless on a 3" screen no?
                                Yes, but maybe if it can output to a TV? i wish my PSP supported 720p. I hook it up to a TV through component so it'd be a nice feature for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X