No announcement yet.

Apple speculation thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Apple Store in Glasgow seemed to be doing a good trade in the black Macbooks although I never noticed what price they were doing them for.

Comment

The glossy screen has pissed a lot of graphic/image/photo people off as the reflection (as with all glossy screens) is quite bad. Apple's response was increasing the screens brightness reduced the glare, true but it messes the colour up.

Steve Jobs said all the Apple screens will be glossy from now on (new), so I'd expect the replacement cinema screens to be as well. 30" glossy will look bad imo, I know quite a few people who are holding off buying an iMac replacement (using a white Intel) as they don't want glossy. Looks like they'll either have to go the Mac Pro route or cross grade all their Adobe apps to Microsoft. It'll be cheaper to do the latter and buy a decent PC. iMacs and glossy look nice, but for some they just don't work.

I'm just wondering how the new MiniDisplay port is going to effect future models, if (big if) they ever update the Mini it'll have this connector. Then I'll have to get a converter to a decent matte monitor, cos the Apple solution wont work for me.

As for the 40% differential between Apple and Dell, I'm happy to pay that extra for the use of OS X. I know it's just an OS, but for me it's easier. I'm not anti MS, I spend all day working with Microsoft PC/Server products - maybe that's why I choose something else at home.
      Last edited by Ginger Tosser; 16-10-2008, 21:51.

Comment

The screen on the MBP looks like a step-up from previous glossy Apple screens I've used. Having said that, I've not had a problem with their glossy ones in the past and for what I'm doing, I think the colours are very vivid and vibrant when compared to glossy ones. I can imagine it would be different for photographers working outside though.

Interestingly I've just added a matte ACD alongside my glossy iMac screen, so I'm waiting to see what differences I'll notice.

I used to work in Windows server support after years of PC support, so I tried Macs first as something different to use at home. Over a few years I was converted and now there's no Windows machines in the house apart from my laptop for my current contract. While XP and Vista have improved, I still think OS X is a nicer piece of software to use and when you control the hardware platform I think the benefits in the OS are obvious.

Having been the extended family's (and friends) "IT expert" for many years I've had the dubious honour of recommending which PC to buy, fixing problems etc. In the last couple of years I've been recommending Macs and I'm amazed at how few follow-on calls for help I get when compared to PCs. So that's good enough for me to continue recommending people at least check out Macs and see what they think.

As to the price difference, I'm happy to pay it having used lots of PCs and now lots of Macs as I think its well worth it.

Comment

I truly believe you get what you pay for. I have a 3ghz dual core pc at work with 3 gigs of RAM running vista 64 on it (installed a few weeks ago) and it's already running like treacle. My Mac Mini (1.6ghz, 1 gig RAM) feels faster! yes, I know that if I asked both machines to perform some video processing the work PC would do it quicker but in general feel Windows is an absolute abomination. I have to use this crap 5 days a week and there's no way I'd have this rubbish at home. I'm happy to pay Apple's premium.

Comment

I had a play with the new MacBook yesterday and I came away well impressed. It's really sturdy, the new construction technique really does add structural strength to the case. The fit and finish is superb.
            The new graphics subsystem seems very handy as well. I opened all folders in the Library simultaneously and it was far quicker than doing the same on my Core2 iMac. Hitting the Expose key after that was very smooth as well.
            I hope this new nVidia chipset gets carried over to the Nehalem based iMac's next year.

Comment

Another mac convert here as well. Only reason i haven't changed the work pc to mac is cause of sage acounting.

Recently realized that i can simply run it in boot camp on a mac, duh! (seeing as itle be the only program i would need to run on xp) im going to go for a mac mini to save space, and rid myself of windows forever, hazzar!

Comment

Latest rumour on the sort of Netbook front

John Markoff at the New York Times has updated his article on a potential Apple netbook-following Steve Jobs' comments-with an interesting piece of news that reminds me of the first days of the JesusPhone, when an unidentified Apple device was detected for the first time in the traffic logs of some web sites. Markoff…

Comment

Sold! (If they do it for a reasonable price, big if.)

Comment

I picked up a new Macbook a couple of days ago after exchanging my MBP for it. It really is a well put together piece of kit, very sturdy and everything feels very high quality. Jobs has said this week they're not interested in doing a netbook at the moment, but other rumours seem to suggest they are doing one.

I have to say, given the size of this Macbook and the email/web available on the iPhone, do Apple really need to do another device in between?

Comment

Originally posted by ascender View Post
                      I picked up a new Macbook a couple of days ago after exchanging my MBP for it.
                      I didn't think apple did trade ins or exchanges?

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                        I didn't think apple did trade ins or exchanges?
                        I bought a new MBP last week but decided to "downgrade" to the MB as it wasn't for me.

Comment

Originally posted by ascender View Post
                          I bought a new MBP last week but decided to "downgrade" to the MB as it wasn't for me.
                          Ah i getcha.

Comment

Have been looking at an iMac to replace my mini for a few weeks now. Passing through T5 this morning decided to grab a tax free MB instead. Decided that for the browsing, photo storing and other stuff I do it will be more than adequate. Will go for a nice 20" or 24" monitor to go with it and then I have the best of both worlds. Just need to wait till Xmas now to open it!

Comment

Rumours of a 7" or 9" screened iPod Touch for the end of 2009

We've got this from three independent sources close to Apple: expect a large screen iPod touch device to be released in the Fall of '09, with a 7 or 9 inch screen. Prototypes have been seen and handled by one of our sources, and Apple is talking to OEMs in Asia now about mass production. Apple has been experimenting internally with large form tablet devices for years, one source says, but there was concern that users wouldn't like the device. The difference now is the iTunes app store, which has thousands of games and other applications that are perfect for a touch screen device with an accelerometer. Apple says more than 300 million applications have been downloaded since the App Store launched in July 2008. Combine the App Store, iTunes and a browser and you have one heck of a device. We don't have any information on pricing. The current iPod touch, with a 3.5 inch screen, starts at $229. The 32 GB model is $399. We expect the price on the larger iPod touch to be significantly higher. Apple rumors, particularly Apple tablet rumors, tend to come and go. I'm not saying Apple is definitely launching a large form iPod Touch. But sources I trust are saying they are currently planning to, and one source has actually held the device.

Comment

Hardly a surprise. I wish him well as we will miss him at Macworld this year.

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Comment

Working...
                                X