No announcement yet.

Apple speculation thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mobile phones are usually covered by household contents insurance. Mobile insurance is a scam.

With regards to the iphone stats: why would they do a bump like that? it'd just make apps run differently on different phones and would provide little real benefit.

I could see an iphone mini though

Comment

Originally posted by Taka View Post
      Has anybody ever made a claim through O2's insurance for their iPhone?
      I've got insurance on my iPhone 3G, and I've had to replace it once due to a fault with the casing, but I just took mine to the Apple Store on Regent Street and they replaced it on the spot as it was still under 1-year warranty. I had to phone O2 and give them the necessary details (ie. new serial number, etc.) so that my insurance detail could be changed accordingly. I'm assured that my insurance is still valid, though.

Comment

What was wrong with the case on your iPhone? The case on my 3G has a crack on the lower left corner and it would be nice if I could get it replaced.

Comment

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post
          Mobile phones are usually covered by household contents insurance. Mobile insurance is a scam.
          True. You just need to watch the excess on a household policy and that claiming won't push your premium up next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
            I've got insurance on my iPhone 3G, and I've had to replace it once due to a fault with the casing, but I just took mine to the Apple Store on Regent Street and they replaced it on the spot as it was still under 1-year warranty. I had to phone O2 and give them the necessary details (ie. new serial number, etc.) so that my insurance detail could be changed accordingly. I'm assured that my insurance is still valid, though.
            I had the cracked case problem on my 3G iPhone, which Apple agreed to replace for me. Before I had a chance to get to an Apple Store, the phone suddenly stopped making or receiving calls, and it couldn't find a network.

When I sent it to O2 for repair, they sent it back 2 weeks later, and they said that they wouldn't repair it because 'I had dropped the phone, and therefore it wasn't covered by the warranty', even though the cracked casing is a common problem with the 3G.

Of course, the Apple Store replaced it without question.

Comment

Does anyone know how long 02 have the iphone contract for? Really want one, but don't want to lose my 'mates rates' T-Mobile contract?

Comment

Originally posted by Wavey Pavey View Post
                Does anyone know how long 02 have the iphone contract for? Really want one, but don't want to lose my 'mates rates' T-Mobile contract?
                Sod 'mates rates'. You can really bargain with O2 once your contract has expired. A year ago when my contract was up for renewal I managed to blag a free N95 8gb (which were going for £100+ on contract at the time) with 600 mins, 600 texts and unlimited data for £25 a month.

You might end up paying more in the first 18 months but after that you're sorted with O2.

Comment

I'm down as an employee with half price line rental for life, if i leave i lose it obviously. Quite hard to beat.

Comment

Originally posted by samonosuke
                    Sod 'mates rates'. You can really bargain with O2 once your contract has expired. A year ago when my contract was up for renewal I managed to blag a free N95 8gb (which were going for £100+ on contract at the time) with 600 mins, 600 texts and unlimited data for £25 a month.
                    They don't really tend to do this when it comes to iPhones, they're aware that most people who want one are just willing to pay whatever they charge.

Also I can't believe there are people on here who have mobile phone insurance Xl guys seriously.

Comment

I could be wrong here but I think O2's iPhone contract is set between Apple and O2 and so they don't have the leeway they have with other packages. It's worth checking rather than taking my word for it but I remember reading that around launch time and I think that's why they have specific iPhone rates that are totally separate from schemes of even very similar phones.

Comment

Originally posted by Randicoot View Post
                        They don't really tend to do this when it comes to iPhones, they're aware that most people who want one are just willing to pay whatever they charge.
                        Yer, sod it indeed

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                        I could be wrong here but I think O2's iPhone contract is set between Apple and O2 and so they don't have the leeway they have with other packages. It's worth checking rather than taking my word for it but I remember reading that around launch time and I think that's why they have specific iPhone rates that are totally separate from schemes of even very similar phones.

Would make sense, certainly seems that way.

Comment

Yeah, I've got a mate who used to work for O2 and there's no bargaining when it comes to the iPhone which surprised me as I'm used to getting newly released phones free of charge. Companies were pretty much happy to agree to any terms to be able to supply the phone.

You may as well be buying the phone from Apple as they control everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Randicoot View Post

Also I can't believe there are people on here who have mobile phone insurance Xl guys seriously.
                            I have mobile insurance which is an additional 7 quid a month - ive had it for like 3 years now and never used it, but its a peace of mind thing really.........

Why is it so hard to believe?

Comment

Originally posted by 112 View Post
                              I have mobile insurance which is an additional 7 quid a month - ive had it for like 3 years now and never used it, but its a peace of mind thing really.........

Why is it so hard to believe?

7x12x3 = £252 that you will never see again. As with all of these things like this, you are better off putting £7 a month away in a savings account "just in case" instead of giving it to someone else.

Although, yeah, if you're the sort of person that goes out, gets drunk and loses your phone down the drain while you're getting out of a taxi (like my mate!), then insurance may be the way to go.

Comment

I'm getting a new Apple when they start putting in blu-ray burners.

Thankfully I'm not in any hurry, although I might cave in when Snow Leopard's released and the iMacs get refreshed.

Comment

Working...
                                X