Apple speculation thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Richard.John View Post
    Hardly a surprise. I wish him well as we will miss him at Macworld this year.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7811857.stm
    Apple with a virus........

Comment

The White Macbook's have had a nice foc spec update in the States

Hmmm, what's this? Did Apple just update its lowly, $999 white plastic polycarbonate MacBook to more closely align with its new unibody MacBooks? Why yes, yes it has... sometime in the last 3 days according to Google's cache. So for the same $999 you now get that newer generation 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo processor with faster 1,066MHz frontside bus, 2GB of 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM memory standard (up from 1GB), and integrated NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics. Whitey is still stuck with DDR2 SDRAM though, not the speedier DDR3 found in the unibodies. Disk drive and other specs (including Firewire 400) appear to be the same. Getting ready for Snow Leopard's OpenCL GPU support are we Apple? Update: Bluetooth received a bump from 2.0 to 2.1 as well. Anything else?[Thanks, Uncontrol]Read -- Old white MacBookRead -- New white MacBook
      Last edited by VR46; 21-01-2009, 12:08.

Comment

That's quite good value versus the new aluminium MacBooks. Surely the mini will be next.
        Intel has just launched new 65w Quad core Core2 chips which look ideal for the iMac. Hopefully we'll be seeing an update for the venerable all in one soon. I'm itching to change mine.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidHolliss View Post
          The White Macbook's have had a nice foc spec update in the States

http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/21/a...unibody-specs/
          New White MacBook now available on UK Apple Store website for £719.

Not bad, but I just wish that Apple would offer it in Black (á la the last-gen "BlackBook"), considering the last-gen White MacBook's reputation for cracking and discolouring.

Comment

The discolouring issue was fixed ages ago. I'm typing this on a 2 and bit year old white MacBook with immaculate interior.

Comment

Determined to grow its share of the personal computer market during the worst economic climate in its corporate history, Apple is tailoring changes to a pair of its offerings that will help drive down prices of some of the most popular Macs, AppleInsider has learned.

Word of the changes comes just weeks after Cupertino-based company became the target of a renewed advertising blitz from rival Microsoft Corp., which is using a new series of controversial television spots to cast Macs as overpriced novelty PCs that command a premium purely for their distinctive aesthetic.

Still, people familiar with the matter say Apple's move towards more affordable Macs isn't so much a response to Redmond's marketing antics as it is an interim solution to combat the proliferation of budget notebooks -- often called netbooks -- until the company is ready to introduce its own take on the market in the much rumored Newton-like web tablet, a project which is taking considerably longer to complete than once anticipated.
              There's quite a large article about it here.

Has anybody heard anything more about the rumoured iPhone update which is supposed to be happening this month? I'm sitting here ready to order but don't want to order something today that I could get cheaper or better tomorrow.

I've given up on other phones & Windows Mobile now, unless something goes horribly wrong it's gotta be an iPhone for me now!

Comment

Doubtful for any iPhone update until at least WWDC in June when iPhone OS 3.0 will likely be launched too. Latest rumours point to video being the main selling factor of the latest iteration.

Comment

Regarding John's post speculating that Apple may reduce the price of their hardware; why not?

If Apple were to swipe 10% off today's pricing, they would be in a very comfortable position to not only increase their market share but they will also put pressure on their competition.

It would be ideal in the current economy and state it is in at the moment too.

MacBook at present is £719.00; 10% off = £647.10

MacBook Air - £1271.00; 10% off = £1143.90

MacBook Pro - £1369.00; 10% off = £1232.10

Mac Mini - £499.00; 10% off = £449.10

iMac - £949.00; 10% off = £854.10

Why not indeed?

Comment

Originally posted by Fei Fong Wong View Post
                    Doubtful for any iPhone update until at least WWDC in June when iPhone OS 3.0 will likely be launched too. Latest rumours point to video being the main selling factor of the latest iteration.
                    I'm going to have to wait until June anyway it seems.

I thought my contract with Vodafone ended this month but my right to upgrade my phone and start a new contract is now but the old contract doesn't end until June.

I'm not really bothered about the video side of things on the iPhone so I'd probably be happy to choose one of the current models at that time, especially if they drop the price of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Extra Terrestrial View Post
                      Regarding John's post speculating that Apple may reduce the price of their hardware; why not?
                      It would be nice, however the last time analysts predicted an Apple price cut the prices went up (except in the US of course).

Still it would be nice for them to sell stuff cheap(er).

Comment

Mac Mini certainly needs to be either £399 / £429 tops, five hundred quid is just too much for a entry level machine (without monitor etc) for most people.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidHolliss View Post
                          Mac Mini certainly needs to be either ?399 / ?429 tops, five hundred quid is just too much for a entry level machine (without monitor etc) for most people.
                          Indeed, i'd buy a new one if it was cheaper. I'll most likely wait until Snow Leopard is released as it'll come with it.

Comment

Some rumors relating to the new iphone to be announced in June, released in July
                            600MHz CPU (currently 400MHz)
                            256MB RAM (currently 128MB)
                            Digital compass (magnetometer) and FM
                            3.2 megapixel camera
                            32GB size
                            No major changes to battery, display or casing
                            Most places saying utter piffle though, but I've read that remark about the compass in a few places now and I would pretty much expect a 32gb version.

Comment

I'm sitting on the fence at the minute in regards to getting an iPhone. My contract runs out very soon, so I want to get one asap...but at the same time I would be gutted if a month later there's a new one out with an OLED screen etc.

Choices....

Comment

Has anybody ever made a claim through O2's insurance for their iPhone?

I'm interested in the next model due but I don't fancy restarting my contract again considering how rocky the economy is currently.

Would owners of original 1st gen iPhones with insurance get an iPhone 3G as replacement since the 1st gen is no longer in production? Or would the crafty buggers have stashed away several older models for such a situation?

Comment

Working...
                                X