No announcement yet.

iPhone thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm with 3 and tempted to get a sim free 5 phone and switch to sim only.

3 will be doing 4g but not until September 2013 I heard after doing a deal with EE for some 4g spectrum.

My iPhone 4 is still more than enough for me so might not bother.

I'm actually up for an upgrade and was tempted by the galaxy s3 after seeing it in the flesh when my sister got one recently.

Comment

4G isn't super essential right now coverage is going to be restricted to just these cities to start with.
      London, Birmingham, Cardiff and Bristol Belfast, Derby, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Hull, Leeds, Liverpool, Manchester, Nottingham, Newcastle, Sheffield and Southampton.

Unless you live/work in these places then you won't see any 4g action and even then I expect the coverage will be patchy.

O2 supports dual band HSDPA+ for Iphone 5, so at the very least you'll see improved speeds and coverage for the 3G logo.

Comment

Originally posted by wod View Post
        I'm with 3 and tempted to get a sim free 5 phone and switch to sim only.

3 will be doing 4g but not until September 2013 I heard after doing a deal with EE for some 4g spectrum.

My iPhone 4 is still more than enough for me so might not bother.

I'm actually up for an upgrade and was tempted by the galaxy s3 after seeing it in the flesh when my sister got one recently.
        I've been thinking along the same lines, to be fair.

Tempted to just stick iOS 6 on my two year-old iPhone 4 next week and wait a while - a sim-free 64GB iPhone 5 is nearly ?700! Too prohibitive, price-wise.

Contract-wise, my contract with O2 is currently rolling as it expired last year and I really don't see myself signing a new (2-year) term with them. If I do get an iPhone 5 that way, I'd probably return to T-Mobile as their monthly tariffs look decent (especially their "Full Monty" plans) and you get first option when EE launch 4G LTE.

For the first time, I'm actually considering Android as a genuine alternative. I just hope that rumours of an spec-bumped Samsung Galaxy Nexus coming are true - I can't be doing with an HTC One X or Samsung Galaxy SIII (as good as they are). I want a pure, stock Android experience (like the current Galaxy Nexus provides) and not Android with HTC Sense, Samsung TouchWiz or Nature UX layered on top of it.
        Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 14-09-2012, 13:55.

Comment

Isn't iOS6 available now ?

Heard people putting iOS6 gm on there phone already.

Is this safe to do so ?

Just looked on 3 and I can upgrade to 5 phone 64gb for 109 upfront and 37 a month on ultimate Internet 500, not sure if it's worth that or pay 3 quid more a month and have no upfront to pay.
          Last edited by wod; 14-09-2012, 14:05.

Comment

Isn't iOS6 available now ?

Heard people putting iOS6 gm on there phone already.

Is this safe to do so ?
            iOS 6 GM (Gold Master) is for those iOS devices that are registered to Apple's iOS developer programme. The full and proper public release hits next week. Put it this way - I personally wouldn't risk a dodgy download from an unknown source.

Comment

The Golden Master one doesn't require dev access to activate on itunes. If Apple didn't want people getting it early they'd have the same restrictions in place.
              I'd be super impressed if someone managed to hack in spyware on the day of release for a new operating system them distributed it around.

Comment

I've just preordered one from Apple. Gonna go for a Sim only package this time, it doesn't really work out much more expensive from what I've seen and it gives me the flexibility to go for a new phone in 12 months time.

Nokia would of had a chance with the Lumia 920.
                But they forgot to announce a release date of price. DUUUUUUUH

Comment

Originally posted by smouty View Post
                  Is LTE (4G) that important? I have BT infinity so can pretty much get a wifi connection anywhere I've been for free. Rarely fall back to 3G these days and I'm guessing there will be a premium for using 4G to start with.
                  I'm with Vodafone so 4G will not be an issue for a while anyway
                  This post has me curious, potentially stupid question alert but how does having bt infinity allow you that? I have infinity, and for the past few months i've used up all my 3g data allowance (500mb, but luckily with only a day or 2 to spare each time), and after writing that i've just thought, is it using your home password for any bt hotspots that appear or something?

Anyway, I was excited before the announcement, had a quote of ?300 for my 4s and expected to pay ?500 for the new one (not far off), but I just don't need it, I don't want a bigger phone, and I certainly don't want to replace my alarm/radio/dock that I spent near ?100 on because they changed the connection. Still got another year on my contract and I'll decide then, I'm probably gonna go sim only rolling contract when that happens.

Comment

Also, something that made me chuckle the other day.

How do you tell if someone has an iphone 5?
                    Don't worry, they'll tell you.

Got a couple of friends who'll go out of their way to point it out when they get one.

Comment

Originally posted by booth83 View Post
                      This post has me curious, potentially stupid question alert but how does having bt infinity allow you that? I have infinity, and for the past few months i've used up all my 3g data allowance (500mb, but luckily with only a day or 2 to spare each time), and after writing that i've just thought, is it using your home password for any bt hotspots that appear or something?

Anyway, I was excited before the announcement, had a quote of ?300 for my 4s and expected to pay ?500 for the new one (not far off), but I just don't need it, I don't want a bigger phone, and I certainly don't want to replace my alarm/radio/dock that I spent near ?100 on because they changed the connection. Still got another year on my contract and I'll decide then, I'm probably gonna go sim only rolling contract when that happens.
                      Bt infinity gives you free BT Fon

Comment

Hmm, didn't know that, I think BT Fon shows up at my work as a connection too, will check tomorrow, cheers

Comment

Pre-ordered a 32GB one from apple.com this morning and it took me 20 mins before it accepted my order.

Yeah, ?599 is alot for the phone but I'm happy with my ?14 a month tariff with 1000 minutes, 1000 texts and unlimited internet with O2.

Plus, I got ?290 with O2 Recycle for my 16GB 4S.

Comment

think i've messed up some where as i downloaded that ios6 gm and installed it and now all itunes says is my phone is in recovery and need to restore it but it wont let me use my backup from earlier today.

oh dear lol

Comment

think i've messed up some where as i downloaded that ios6 gm and installed it and now all itunes says is my phone is in recovery and need to restore it but it wont let me use my backup from earlier today.

oh dear lol
                              Whoops
                              es
                              I didn't even do a full restore, I just shift clicked "check for updates" and picked my file.

Have you got the latest itunes 10.7?

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
                                Whoopses
                                I didn't even do a full restore, I just shift clicked "check for updates" and picked my file.

Have you got the latest itunes 10.7?
                                I did install latest itunes, just ran it again and my phone has been restored.

Ages since i've done a restore, do apps not transfer over anymore from backups or is this due to upgrade to ios 6 i guess.

Comment

Working...
                                X