iPhone thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
    Sounds like you've already made your mind up anyway.

Geekbench scores have appeared tonight for the iPhone 5. Assuming they are not fake it seems as if the 1GHz dual core iPhone 5 is faster then the 1.4GHz quad core SGSIII! And no doubt the iPhone 5 will have best in class GPU.

I'm tempted with the new iPhone as it seems to focus on stuff the really matters to peeps. Better screen, camera, more responsive (hardly an area iPhones struggle with), lighter, even more impressive build quality and a better battery. And getting Google off iOS is great news as well.
    I really haven't I love my 4s but I am getting sick of the apple tax especially the new thunderbolt port (I have like 3 docks so that would be 3 x ?25 adapters and even a 16 would be over ?600) for that I can get a S3 and a 64gb this gen touch having said I did try the s3 and I still hate droid but I did like the phone although it did seem a little slower than my 4s most likely for me will be to go sim only and run my4s in to the floor by then hopefully there will be either 3rd party accessories or thunderbolt docks will be reasonable

Comment

Originally posted by Shozuki View Post
      Yup get an S3. iPhones are complete and utter crap unless your a sheep - which admittedly most are. iOS is extremely primative now and quite frankly Apple are becoming lazy...

Mind you when you have millions of uninformed idiots buying their products why do you need to bother? I hold shares in Apple and have bought 8 iPhone 5's - only because its easy money...
      Only downside K is I bloody hate droid os I'm kinda hoping W8 phone may be the one but the only reason I keep with apple is sadly none of them compete with it for my primary use which is as an ipod

Comment

Yup get an S3. iPhones are complete and utter crap unless your a sheep - which admittedly most are. iOS is extremely primative now and quite frankly Apple are becoming lazy.
        I'm thinking the same, seeing an s3 in the flesh when my sister got one made me want one but as I've been used to my iphone 4 for last 2 years. I don't think I would want to change and so will a lot of others who will just upgrade to the latest phone from apple.

I'm not sure what to do, could just keep my 4 phone for a while longer and then change.

Comment

Originally posted by evilthecatuk View Post
          Only downside K is I bloody hate droid os I'm kinda hoping W8 phone may be the one but the only reason I keep with apple is sadly none of them compete with it for my primary use which is as an ipod
          I think the S3 will surprise you. I'm not sure when or which version of Android you've used - but it's an extremely pleasurable experience now with no drawbacks. Micro SD support too - so you don't need to a million devices with you, or worry about space.

Honestly though, go check em both out and decide for yourself - but really no one should be using these crappy devices now especially with Apple tax (as you quite rightly put!)

On a side note, might be worth checking out the Galaxy Note 2 if you want a Tablet/Phone hybrid... The S Pen stuff is really cool and useful!

Comment

Originally posted by wod View Post
            I'm thinking the same, seeing an s3 in the flesh when my sister got one made me want one but as I've been used to my iphone 4 for last 2 years. I don't think I would want to change and so will a lot of others who will just upgrade to the latest phone from apple.

I'm not sure what to do, could just keep my 4 phone for a while longer and then change.
            I know the feeling I was an Apple sheep for quite a while too... iPhone (1st Gen) - iPhone 4 for me, along with iPad to iPad 3 and Macbook Pro and Mac Air, but I changed in 2011. Was surprised how restrictive iOS is and I never noticed... I'd just say give a shot and I promise you won't go back. Not to mention how substandard Apple's tech is now!

Comment

I think the S3 will surprise you. I'm not sure when or which version of Android you've used - but it's an extremely pleasurable experience now with no drawbacks. Micro SD support too - so you don't need to a million devices with you, or worry about space.

Honestly though, go check em both out and decide for yourself - but really no one should be using these crappy devices now especially with Apple tax (as you quite rightly put!)

On a side note, might be worth checking out the Galaxy Note 2 if you want a Tablet/Phone hybrid... The S Pen stuff is really cool and useful!
              Last phone I used was a vanilla rooted froyo 2.2 and honeycomb on a tablet. I love my cheapy playbook for tablet goodness so it's purely a phone. Is it a good music player and does it have a straightforward audio out to a dock?(the s3) I know you jumped yourself a while back so I wouldn't discount it for me I just don't like the patchy droid update policy I mean my partners 3GS will still get an iOS6 update which is crazy considering android updates

Comment

iPhones are complete and utter crap unless your a sheep - which admittedly most are. iOS is extremely primative now and quite frankly Apple are becoming lazy...

Mind you when you have millions of uninformed idiots buying their products why do you need to bother?
                I'm no Apple fanboy or hater, but it's OTT rhetoric like this which makes the smartphone scene so depressing at times.

Is the iPhone 5 technologically outstanding? No - it's evolutionary rather than revolutionary, for sure. But the hardware looks solid (and is now on a par with both the Galaxy SIII and HTC One X), iOS is proven to be solid software that is/will be well supported and updated (whether it has evolved/needs to evolve is another argument) and the App Store ecosystem is still considerably superior to Google Play and Windows Phone Store, both from a dev perspective as well as a user perspective.

iPhones are nowhere near being complete and utter crap. They're just not. It's hilarious and ironic when people accuse iPhone users of being "sheep", not realizing that they themselves totally come off as being sheep/fanboys/fangirls (delete as applicable) themselves.

(This is coming from an iPhone 4 user who is considering going Android, btw)

Comment

Originally posted by evilthecatuk View Post
                  Last phone I used was a vanilla rooted froyo 2.2 and honeycomb on a tablet. I love my cheapy playbook for tablet goodness so it's purely a phone. Is it a good music player and does it have a straightforward audio out to a dock?(the s3) I know you jumped yourself a while back so I wouldn't discount it for me I just don't like the patchy droid update policy I mean my partners 3GS will still get an iOS6 update which is crazy considering android updates
                  No wonder your view on Android is tainted, I went back to iOS after Froyo and bought an iPad cos Honeycomb was a mess. ICS and the coming soon Jelly Bean are much more refined and brilliant minus all the old weird Android quirks of old... I even have Asus Transformer Infinity as my tablet of choice now!!

As for audio out it's 3.5mm out or if you have the dosh I'd recommend a Sonos Play 5 as it will wirelessly play your onboard music and has features like radio and spotify free of charge (and add free to boot) All controlled wireless through your phone including volume etc... Plus the quality is superb, up there with the best!! I have 2 one for the kitchen and one for the bedroom...

I think you'll appreciate how Samsung handle updates - its much more Apple-esque now (in a good way!) minus the need for intrusive software on your PC. It's all simple drag and drop too... But seriously go check it out. If your not convinced your just bonkers my friend!!

Comment

No wonder your view on Android is tainted, I went back to iOS after Froyo and bought an iPad cos Honeycomb was a mess. ICS and the coming soon Jelly Bean are much more refined and brilliant minus all the old weird Android quirks of old... I even have Asus Transformer Infinity as my tablet of choice now!!

As for audio out it's 3.5mm out or if you have the dosh I'd recommend a Sonos Play 5 as it will wirelessly play your onboard music and has features like radio and spotify free of charge (and add free to boot) All controlled wireless through your phone including volume etc... Plus the quality is superb, up there with the best!! I have 2 one for the kitchen and one for the bedroom...

I think you'll appreciate how Samsung handle updates - its much more Apple-esque now (in a good way!) minus the need for intrusive software on your PC. It's all simple drag and drop too... But seriously go check it out. If your not convinced your just bonkers my friend!!
                    Heh you know I'm bonkers either way no doubt I will be in possession of a new phone (of some description) come Friday/Saturday. Thanks for the advice

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                      I'm no Apple fanboy or hater, but it's OTT rhetoric like this which makes the smartphone scene so depressing at times.

Is the iPhone 5 technologically outstanding? No - it's evolutionary rather than revolutionary, for sure. But the hardware looks solid (and is now on a par with both the Galaxy SIII and HTC One X), iOS is proven to be solid software that is/will be well supported and updated (whether it has evolved/needs to evolve is another argument) and the App Store ecosystem is still considerably superior to Google Play and Windows Phone Store, both from a dev perspective as well as a user perspective.

iPhones are nowhere near being complete and utter crap. They're just not. It's hilarious and ironic when people accuse iPhone users of being "sheep", not realizing that they themselves totally come off as being sheep/fanboys/fangirls (delete as applicable) themselves.

(This is coming from an iPhone 4 user who is considering going Android, btw)
                      Well they are! Considering the S3 came out months ago making a new phone 'on par' (which it's not) and charging the earth for it doesn't fit well with me, and whilst the store stuff might be better - its the other functions (or lack there of) that really make the tech feel old. Call me a fanboy I don't mind really - Apple make me the money I spend it on proper tech that's useful and moving forward. Just trying to help others really...

As I keep mentioning, Just try it out and you'll quickly realise for yourself.

Comment

Google and the handset manufacturers are making good strides in trying to address the long-standing problem of Android being heavily fragmented across the various handsets, but the problem is still there. You can bet on it resurfacing when Google get ready to launch Key Lime Pie (Android 5.0) - Crappy skins like HTC Sense, Samsung TouchWiz & the considerably resource-intensive Samsung Nature UX (style over substance if ever there was a case - ironic when so many Galaxy SIII users accuse iPhone owners of being sheep) don't help matters at all.

Personally, I'm really hoping that the rumours of an updated Galaxy Nexus with specs to match the Galaxy SIII are true. Nexus devices are the flagship Android devices and really the best way to experience pure Android, as it was meant to be and especially as Nexus devices get Android updates before anybody else.
                        Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 16-09-2012, 23:00.

Comment

Well they are! Considering the S3 came out months ago making a new phone 'on par' (which it's not) and charging the earth for it doesn't fit well with me, and whilst the store stuff might be better - its the other functions (or lack there of) that really make the tech feel old. Call me a fanboy I don't mind really - Apple make me the money I spend it on proper tech that's useful and moving forward. Just trying to help others really...

As I keep mentioning, Just try it out and you'll quickly realise for yourself.
                          Not being funny - I have tried the SIII. It's an impressive phone, no doubt. It's also resource-intensive. Why do you think it has 2GB of RAM in it? It needs part of that just to power the Nature UX - a skin that's just there for stylistic purposes! the Samsung Galaxy Nexus can hold its own with the SIII for performance, and it's nearly a year-old.

You're delusional if you think that the SIII has any significant advantage over the iPhone 5 in terms of performance. They are pretty much level-par by the looks of things, hardware and software-wise.

That said, I do agree with you about the iPhone 5's pricing - ?700 is prohibitive for an unlocked and sim-free 64GB iPhone 5. If I didn't care about having a pure Android experience, I would plump for a ?500 Galaxy SIII.
                          Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 16-09-2012, 23:04.

Comment

Im 3 months away from being out of contract here and the S3 4G version is out end of this month which will put it nicely alongside the iPhone5 when I am ready to look around.

I'm not sure which I am going to prefer but I dont think you can go wrong with either. It's nice to have some real choice and its great to see some competition in this space. I think Apple do what they do well, which is make their devices extremely accessible to even the non-technical consumer and it just works. Samsung of course provide the extra bells and whistles that Apple always seem fit to trickle feed into their devices over time... horses for courses really.

I think I am going to hold out till the end of the year and do my own side by side comparison. See which really grabs me the most and determine what I think is important from a hardware perspective. I love reading these fanboy arguments over X phone being better but its all opinion and to be honest I dont think either of them are better or worse than the other, just different. You make your choice based on personal preference and that is it.

As for the Apple tax... it seems here in Australia at least, if you're not buying outright and going on a 2 year plan the price difference between the two is marginal? At least when comparing 4G models. If I was upgrading now it has to be 4G. The networks here are slowly rolling it out in main areas and you'd be an idiot to go for a 3G model if you're going to be invested for the next two years.

Comment

SG3 only has 1GB ram... only SG3 in Canada, America and Korea (I believe) have 2GB ram.

Just seen benchmarks for iPhone 5. It looks very speedy indeed but it's only a touch faster than SG3 now.

The SG Note 2 phone looks to be the bad boy but if I wasn't such an apple lover, I'd wait till oct to get it.

Comment

Originally posted by phillai View Post
                                SG3 only has 1GB ram... only SG3 in Canada, America and Korea (I believe) have 2GB ram.

Just seen benchmarks for iPhone 5. It looks very speedy indeed but it's only a touch faster than SG3 now.

The SG Note 2 phone looks to be the bad boy but if I wasn't such an apple lover, I'd wait till oct to get it.
                                Yep, it would appear that the Galaxy Note may well outdo both the iPhone 5 and Galaxy SIII for performance (pending Geekbench score).

It would also appear that Galaxy SIII becomes a touch faster than than the iPhone 5 once Jellybean (Android 4.1) is installed on it - Samsung are rumoured to be releasing Jellybean for the SIII sometime next month.

Ergo, my initial point stands - iPhone 5 is on a par with the best Android handsets around presently.

Comment

Working...
                                X