Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Little things that irk you.. (no swearing please)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally home 2 hrs and 10 minutes after my supposed appointment should have been home by 1.15 it's now what.... 3.10 fuuuuuuu...

Comment

Originally posted by Randicoot View Post
      Now why would anyone be anti any kind of consumer electronics company? That's what I'm interested to know.
      Because of how proprietary they are. As someone who doesn't really like buying new when other components are still working fine I don't like their consumer model.

And billy, you're right, people do buy Macbook Pros and use them exclusively for Facebook.

I have a system built around an i3-2100T myself, saving tha planet etc.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
        And billy, you're right, people do buy Macbook Pros and use them exclusively for Facebook.
        Literally, what my sister-in-law did. $1200 on a new Mac to browse the web, watch youtube and go on Facebook. At least she played WoW on her old Macbook. The main selling point of her getting an iPhone was Instagram "you can post pictures straight to Twitter!" ... I pulled out my phone and did that with the Android Twitter app. She was trying to get Siri to find a Vietnamese restaurant, Google Voice Search did it in less than half the time AND recognised my voice first time.

It's really sad how marketing actually works on people.

Comment

Originally posted by Kryss View Post
          Literally, what my sister-in-law did. $1200 on a new Mac to browse the web, watch youtube and go on Facebook. At least she played WoW on her old Macbook. The main selling point of her getting an iPhone was Instagram "you can post pictures straight to Twitter!" ... I pulled out my phone and did that with the Android Twitter app. She was trying to get Siri to find a Vietnamese restaurant, Google Voice Search did it in less than half the time AND recognised my voice first time.

It's really sad how marketing actually works on people.
          I know this situation all too well. Have a friend who bought a Macbook Pro and only uses it to surf the internets. Another friend who was against Apple initially came into a bit of money and got a Macbook Pro, now she has trouble getting pirated programs to work on it as it isn't as easy as with a PC...
          My brother got himself a Mac Mini and pretty much uses it only for the internet and using as a media hub (connected to surround sound etc), I gather it doesn't even run everything as smoothly as my PC when lots of programs are in use which is funny after how many times he has argued with the Mac over PC debate. Even more funny is his Mac died the other week and the "brilliant" after care service of Apple has been a bit pathetic when he needed it!

Another one that gets me is people thinking Blackberrys are a good phone thanks to some clever marketing again.

Comment

That is me
            Last edited by Pikate; 07-04-2012, 19:13.

Comment

I have a MacBook Pro (Bought used on here), all I ever use a computer for is storing my music and photos, and internet browsing. The selling point of the MacBook for me is that it never breaks down, unlike every windows computer i've ever had. (Even my work Lenovo which is almost new takes a **** every now and again) Now i'm no Apple fanboy, I absolutely hate iPhones and sold my iPad as it just wasn't as good as I wanted to be, but I have to say it's the nicest laptop i've ever had, i'd most likely buy one again when replacement time comes.

Comment

Originally posted by Fader209 View Post
                I know this situation all too well. Have a friend who bought a Macbook Pro and only uses it to surf the internets. Another friend who was against Apple initially came into a bit of money and got a Macbook Pro, now she has trouble getting pirated programs to work on it as it isn't as easy as with a PC...
                My brother got himself a Mac Mini and pretty much uses it only for the internet and using as a media hub (connected to surround sound etc), I gather it doesn't even run everything as smoothly as my PC when lots of programs are in use which is funny after how many times he has argued with the Mac over PC debate. Even more funny is his Mac died the other week and the "brilliant" after care service of Apple has been a bit pathetic when he needed it!

Another one that gets me is people thinking Blackberrys are a good phone thanks to some clever marketing again.
                Quoted because this guy dosent know wtf he is talking about, yeah I've got a brother too his pc is ****e

We have had g5s running at our work running solidly for a good 6 years now and there still going strong, it's always been trendy to bash apple and if truth be told I dont agree with a lot of what Steve jobs did, but I can't fault the apple stuff I use, multitasking is fantastic on our 6 year old machines, we can run photoshop in design, illustrator and quarkXpress all without any slowdown, I wish I could say the same about my dell laptop that is barely a year old and is already getting long in the tooth.

Comment

So what if people but a Mac/iPad only to go on FB and browse the web? If they can afford to do so then fair play to them.

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
                    Quoted because this guy dosent know wtf he is talking about, yeah I've got a brother too his pc is ****e
                    ...bro? Lol.

Comment

Originally posted by averybluemonkey View Post
                      But Billy you could do all that and far more effectively on a proper DAW setup on a desktop or laptop, there's nothing there that the iPad can do over those systems. Same with the art stuff, yes the iPad can do stuff, but it's way more limited and doesn't offer any gain.
                      Pretty much anything anyone likes about anything(especially tech stuff) can be compared with something better(read: more expensive) by someone else, but all I'm on about is that, for me at least, the iPad has let me do so many things with such little hassle and with such power that it's made my Macbook largely irrelevant(except for typing on). And not just silly things like browsing sites. Interesting things.

I'm not saying it's a replacement for a proper(read: expensive) DAW setup on a desktop or laptop, but it's a bloody good replacement for my DAW setup. I only dabble in music, art, etc and one of the barriers is having to set things up each time as I have precious little room. I have a Trigger Finger and a Nanopad, both of which hardly get any use. I bought a Wacom tablet because I wanted to start drawing in Photoshop. I used it once and then I gave it to my big bro because he needed one. In my earlier piano days, I'd stash the piano away and take it out only when I wanted to use it which became never because of the hassle setting it up and putting it away until I decided to leave it out permanently.

Bottom line for me is that the iPad made a whole bunch of things a lot more accessible and enjoyable and the gain is that I'm actually doing them now. For me, it's a lot like gaming on a console vs gaming on a PC. Sure, PC gaming looks better, keyboard and mouse trounce analogue sticks, and Steam has made the process of buying and playing games quite painless, but it's still a lot less hassle to just switch on the PS3 and have a quick bash on Ninja Gaiden.

Originally posted by koopatroopa90 View Post
                      When people say they use the iPad for art - do you use a pen or something? If "Draw Something" has taught me anything it's that drawing with your fingers is extremely hard - you cannot do things on the small as there is no precision.
                      I hate drawing on Draw Something(only played it on iPhone, though) and I'm not that good at drawing but I have no problems drawing on the iPad with copious amounts of undo

People can do whatever the heck they like with things they've bought. I don't care if someone spends ridiculous amounts of money on a Macbook and then uses it for Twitter, that's up to them. What I'm saying is that, just because some people do, it doesn't mean everyone else will. I'd rather your sister got an iPad than a PS Vita, for example.

My little bro is 16. My parents wouldn't get him an iPad but I'm always showing him what I'm doing with mine to wean him off the idea that computers are just big Call of Duty machines and get his creative juices flowing.

Originally posted by parkinho View Post
                      So what if people but a Mac/iPad only to go on FB and browse the web? If they can afford to do so then fair play to them.
                      Amen to that. It reminds me of an episode of Simpsons when Professor Frink is showing the children that push-along thing with the little balls inside. One of the girls asks for a go and he refuses, saying she won't enjoy it on as many levels as he will
                      Last edited by randombs; 07-04-2012, 16:49.

Comment

Originally posted by parkinho View Post
                        Agreed. Same thing with any "luxury" item, like a car for example. You could just buy a cheap and functional car which will get you from A to B just as well as an expensive luxury car, but if you can afford the expensive one, why not?

Agree with Ikobo too, since switching to Macs I've found they are much more reliable for much longer than any of the PCs I've ever had in the past.

Comment

I use my 911 once a week to go to Sainsbury.

Comment

It's all well and good declaring a piece of hardware a luxury item but as someone with a genuine interest in hardware it is an irk. Especially when you have to pay Apple tax.

She got an iPad 3 in the end. gz
                            Last edited by speedlolita; 07-04-2012, 17:52.

Comment

It's all well and good declaring a piece of hardware a luxury item but as someone with a genuine interest in hardware it is an irk. Especially when you have to pay Apple tax. It's also not my fault if you can't use a Windows PC properly, but that's another matter.

She got an iPad 3 in the end. gz
                              I thought it was meant to be Apple users that were arrogant I've both built my own PCs and bought them from well known manufacturers, I know how to use them, and in my experience even when you do your very best to keep a Windows machine nice and clean, it eventually starts slowing down and getting a little flakey for no particular reason. Something I haven't yet experienced on the Mac.

Comment

Originally posted by billy_dimashq View Post
                                Pretty much anything anyone likes about anything(especially tech stuff) can be compared with something better(read: more expensive) by someone else, but all I'm on about is that, for me at least, the iPad has let me do so many things with such little hassle and with such power that it's made my Macbook largely irrelevant(except for typing on). And not just silly things like browsing sites. Interesting things.

I'm not saying it's a replacement for a proper(read: expensive) DAW setup on a desktop or laptop, but it's a bloody good replacement for my DAW setup. I only dabble in music, art, etc and one of the barriers is having to set things up each time as I have precious little room. I have a Trigger Finger and a Nanopad, both of which hardly get any use. I bought a Wacom tablet because I wanted to start drawing in Photoshop. I used it once and then I gave it to my big bro because he needed one. In my earlier piano days, I'd stash the piano away and take it out only when I wanted to use it which became never because of the hassle setting it up and putting it away until I decided to leave it out permanently.

Yeah but you can get a full, professional DAW setup for the cost of the iPad so the iPad is the more expensive option. Granted the space of a laptop is a bit larger, though I wouldn't say it's that different myself.

I think the issue with Apple is that rather than recognise the limited functionality of their products the marketing makes out that they are revolutionary and doing things that are new and cutting edge and people then lap this up wholesale and history gets re-written.

They have such a toxic effect on the industry with the way they behave behind the scenes. Companies are about making money for shareholders yes but companies can do that without lieing to consumers, resorting to monopolistic buying habbits that forcing competitors out of the market place by bully boy tactics and exerting questionable leverage on journalists.

Comment

Working...
                                X