Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Little things that irk you.. (no swearing please)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
    Que? What are you trying to b(r)ing to my attention?
    Nowt- it was to Charles. He's been sneaking into posts and adding errors, the lirrul scamp...

Comment

So your not going to add the there and their issue to you're list?

Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

I'm trying to control my blood pressure.
        Last edited by Brad; 02-11-2012, 09:21.

Comment

Semicolons are a bit tricky. You can use it to link two closely related statements that need more than a comma to separate and less than a full stop.
          Some people write with a word processor; others write with a pen or pencil.

However, I find the best way to use a semicolon is when writing a list. The colon indicates you're starting to list things and the semicolon indicates a new point. This frees the comma up to use it properly and avoid overly long sentences.
          There are basically two ways to write: with a pen or pencil, which is inexpensive and easily accessible; or by computer and printer, which is more expensive but quick and neat.

I think Alfred Tollemache, inventor of the semicolon, would be horrified to see it's primarily used for smiley emoticons these days.

I think apostrophes are a lot easier to learn and apply and getting it wrong on signs and the like is incredibly irksome. I had to stop playing pub billiards in one pub because the sign next to the table advertising a quiz night had 9 grammatical mistakes.

There are two shops next to each other on the way to work. One says they do "tattoo's" and the hairdresser next door is "Julies Salon".

There was a flower stall in London called "Lillies Flower's" not "Lilly's Flowers".

There's a great book called "The Girl's Like Spaghetti" which uses both versions to help kids see the difference between the two uses of the apostrophe. For example, "Look, its behind" and "Look, it's behind".

Comment

At least people using it for smileys know why they're using it. Personally, I think Alfred Tollemache's semicolon is epic fail. If most of the world can't quite figure out how to use it, it wasn't needed in the first place. It should be officially retired and only dragged out for winkies.

Comment

You could have just used it then!
              Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Really? I didn't need it. Epic fail, Tollemache. Epic fail.

Comment

I'm picturing chimp wandering the streets with chalk and board rubber correcting grammar on pub and restaurant blackboards.

Comment

Originally posted by FSW View Post
                    I'm picturing chimp wandering the streets with chalk and board rubber correcting grammar on pub and restaurant blackboards.
                    I have a white and a black permanent marker that I carry around with me to fix dodgy signs!

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                    Really? I didn't need it. Epic fail, Tollemache. Epic fail.
                    I think using an apostrophe in lists is great though!

If you're just using commas, it can get a bit confusing and helps group the points better.

There are several law firms involved: McFly, Brown and Tannen; Strachan, Nutkins and Packham; and Francis, Krankie and Krankie.
                    Last edited by QualityChimp; 02-11-2012, 09:32.

Comment

It's more suited to lists. It's like a supercomma in that respect.
                      Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

I have to admit I'm not the greatest with my punctuation. Factor in my fast and tired typing and some of my posts on here can be pretty bad.

Comment

my grammar is terrible, always been fail at grammar

but posting from an apple product doesn't help matters

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                            If you're just using commas, it can get a bit confusing and helps group the points better.

There are several law firms involved: McFly, Brown and Tannen; Strachan, Nutkins and Packham; and Francis, Krankie and Krankie.
                            The only one that may confuse in that list with just regular commas is the very last one, which could be Krankie and another Krankie or 'Krankie and Krankie'. And that one just just as ambiguous in your example so you've gained nothing with your semicolons. NOTHING! You fail yet again, Tollemache.

Here's how to solve that particular problem -> &

Comment

I don't mind on here as I understand people have had very different educations, but we all love videogames, so it's all good.

Signs feel like a public declaration of ignorance though!

For me, I find it an embarrassment if I spell something wrong or use punctuation incorrectly.
                              It's the equivalent of having your trousers fall down in public.

I suppose these days, having your pants on display is the height of cool, not embarrassment, so text speak means you're the coolest of all! :/

I wonder if the yoof with their trousers hanging below their buttocks understand it's derived from prison shorthand to say "I'm up for some bum fun"?

Comment

The semicolon denotes that it is three separate groups, and is correct usage of the offending punctuation mark. An ampersand should only ever be used in company names, so that too is correct.

McFly, Brown & Tannen; Strachan, Nutkins & Packham; and Francis, Krankie & Krankie.
                                Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Working...
                                X