Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Little things that irk you.. (no swearing please)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Randicoot View Post
    I mean if you think about the phrase 'would of', it doesn't actually make any sense.
    But what if you don't think about it?

Edit:
    Seriously, your sentence is wrong. It's one of those phrases you might hear people around you say, and use accordingly without giving it further thought. What I assume you intended to say is "I mean if you think about the phrase 'would of', you realise it doesn't actually make any sense." Right now you're saying that thinking about the phrase alters its meaning. It's very much like "I could care less"; another example where a small difference can alter the meaning of the sentence completely.
    Last edited by JSR; 07-11-2012, 16:57.

Comment

Originally posted by ikobo
      I'd like to hear what EvilBoris has to say about the above irk.........

Probably would of just ignored it....;p

Comment

The difficulty with grammar is that it's so hard to break out of patterns we form in childhood. The forum member mentioned above with the 'would ofs' has corrected them himself on occasion so knows the correct form but when you're typing fast, I find we can get stuff down faster than we actually think about the words. So I prefer not to give people a hard time about such things unless they are a total offense to the language and I don't think anyone on these boards comes close to some of the horrors I have seen elsewhere.

I spent my entire childhood spelling Wednesday incorrectly. Only found out when I was in my late 20s. When writing fast, I still miss that e in the middle sometimes. Old habits...

Comment

I can't spell beautiful without using an acronym to help me...

Comment

Not to mention everyone's level differs in all kinds of things, commanding of English included. I'm not too good at Street Fighter, for example, and there are people on here that are worse than me and people that are better.

I do believe that there should be more pride in speaking correctly, but I think that should be instilled at the earlier stages and during education. I've started paying a lot more attention to English spelling and grammar, but I didn't before.

I don't understand this idea of typing too quickly to have correct grammar as you have so much time before you click 'post reply' or whatever. I remember a commenter on youtube defending his bad spelling/grammar by saying he's actually an English degree student with but when he's commenting on youtube, he gets lazy. What he was posting was not lazy.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsThere View Post
              I can't spell beautiful without using an acronym to help me...
              This is how I remember to spell it!

Comment

Originally posted by ikobo View Post
                I'd like to hear what EvilBoris has to say about the above irk.........

Normally I would have commented, but I got such a beatdown last time, I don't think I'll bother.

Comment

That Trivago advert has been on everyday since May, & its annoying the f*ck out of me.

And Derren Brown constantly getting airtime (despite the fact that everything he does is set up) & that ppl are still so gullable to believe that its real

Comment

Second the Derren Brown thing.

Comment

When people call the wrong number, and say 'who are you' when you answer. No, idiot, you called me. Imagine knocking on someone's front door and saying 'who are you' when they answer. Why don't people use their brains for one second and think?

Comment

Do people believe stuff Derren Brown is 'real'? But he's a magician

Comment

Also, isn't his whole schtick showing that his stuff ISN'T real? Everything of his that I've seen is about the power of persuasion, tricks, and cold reading etc. He's very anti-supernatural, and I don't recall him ever purporting any of his stuff to be 'magic'.

Comment

Originally posted by noobish hat View Post
                            When people call the wrong number, and say 'who are you' when you answer. No, idiot, you called me. Imagine knocking on someone's front door and saying 'who are you' when they answer. Why don't people use their brains for one second and think?
                            I had a similar thing last week. My mobile rang and when I answered some bloke said 'Who's that? Is that Specsavers?' I said he had the wrong number to which he sounded surprised and said 'OK then' but in a tone that suggested I might have been lying or something. I just hung up, but then I thought WTF? He's called a mobile for a start, which I doubt you'd do if you were calling Specsavers, and surely if you did ring them, they'd answer the phone with 'Good morning Specsavers' or similar. WTF?

Comment

Sounds like he certainly needs to go to Specsavers.

Comment

Yeah, he sounded very shortsighted.

Comment

Working...
                                X