No announcement yet.

The Election

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have utterly no idea which way I will vote this year. No party stands out and the expenses scandal is still fresh enough in peoples minds there could be some "that'll show 'em" votes for the BNP.

Labour have done OK throughout the financial crisis but have become quite Toryesque in the last decade. Gordon Brown is clearly a clever guy but lacks the charisma of Blair and his PR handlers don't seem to know what to do with him.

The Tories have been practising knee jerk politics for the last couple of terms and I really have no idea what their policies are at present.

The Lib Dems are stuck with a no-hoper tag that they cannot seem to shake. Which is a shame as this perpetual two horse race is no good for the country. Too much in-fighting has cost them dearly over the last couple of elections.

SNP - Salmond's Narcissism Party. The man is a nutter with this massive chip on his shoulder that most of us Scots couldn't care about. The "Historic Concordat" has cost this country dearly and the Nats have hardly covered themselves in glory while in office. And what is with all the money getting thrown at the NW of the country?

The Green Party - Too narrow a message and I'm personally a bit of a climate change sceptic.

BNP - Scum. 'Nuff said.

Going slightly OT but I feel that the party system actually dilutes the will of the electorate. Time to do away with elected representatives as they are and let the people vote on matters directly via web or text. Obviously this is only a part of the changes required but I'm not getting into it now.

Comment

i will vote for whoever gets that muppet mandelson out. i cant stand him. dont think its possible tho. always went red but this time yellow as its not possible for the tories to win where i live

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
        Going slightly OT but I feel that the party system actually dilutes the will of the electorate. Time to do away with elected representatives as they are and let the people vote on matters directly via web or text. Obviously this is only a part of the changes required but I'm not getting into it now.
        Probably the only way to decrease apathy with the political system. Could result in some bizarre decisions though.

Comment

Having referrendums on everything is incredibly bad news. Governments have to make unpopular decisions at points and sometimes, people really don't know what's best for them. It also leads to oppression of the minority.

To sum it up in a single quote : "51% could vote to piss in 49% of people's drinks"

Comment

I see where you're coming from. To be in anyway workable it would have to be only on certain issues and with a few predetermined options to select.

Comment

i am looking forward to this....because i work in a call centre so that day should be quiet for me Lol

oh i think goverments the world over should have been better prepared for the recession i mean its not like no one saw it coming

have to ask..which countrys didnt have a recession ?
              Last edited by eastyy; 06-04-2010, 20:20.

Comment

I've certainly hated most of what Labour have achieved over the past 10 years or so, essentially betraying much of the rhetoric they spouted for decades before. Yet in spite of this, I'll probably still vote Labour in order to play the cynical vote to 'keep the Tories out'. The lesser of two evils. That pretty much wraps up my view of UK politics right now, where you essentially have 2/3 parties jugging power between themselves, cynical votes are more of a commentary on the state of politics than anything else.

Comment

I can't bring myself to vote for David "Bandwagon" Cameron and Labour have had too long in power doing too little imo so its gotta be lib dem for me

Comment

I think people put far too much emphasis on personality when looking to place a vote - After what happened with Blair, I would of assumed that was a lesson learned.

I don't know which way to go this time around, all I know is it, I want someone in who is going to have some backbone and caters to the working man and to family units. Not the other way around.

Comment

The campaigning has started. Went to my local American themed diner for a takeaway and the minister for Higher Education (David Lammy) was in there doing a TV interview. They had to ask me to move before they started as I was in shot. Think I ruined another interview as I walked in the door too

Comment

Well is it a different ball game up here in Scotland? , theres no way im voting Labour , im going to vote Green , or maybe i should vote SNP ? and be ride of all the charlatans of Westminster, especially those sleazy b......s the Tories, they get in and services are getting cut left right and centre. Should bring in PR as that way we'd have better governments not just interested in lining their own pockets.

Comment

Not sure who I will vote for, either Labour or Lib Dem. Cameron is a joke and I think George Osborne is one of the mostrepellent individuals on the planet. The idea of them two in power is enough to make me think Labour aren't that bad.

For me I don't think things are that bad at the moment, record investment in education is clear to see in the primary schools I have worked at and at the secondary schools I visit. I am amazed at the facilities at most schools compared to what I had to put up with in late 80's and early 90's.

Cameron is the man who cycles to work while having some bloke drive behind him with his papers, and once told us to hug a hoodie.

Comment

I've not got a clue who to vote for either. The only thing I've heard from any candidate so far is that the Tories are going to scrap IR35, which as an IT contractor is very interesting to me. Although I am sure the companies that sell IR35 insurance are thinking otherwise.

I just want to pay less tax (both on goods and earnings) and not be part of the nonsense that is Europe.

Comment

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/ is a good site if you want to check out how 'valuable' your local MP is; gives you some insight into the way they vote in parliament & what they stand for.

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff D View Post
                                http://www.theyworkforyou.com/ is a good site if you want to check out how 'valuable' your local MP is; gives you some insight into the way they vote in parliament & what they stand for.
                                Amazing stats for my MP!

Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 815 times in debates ? well above average amongst MPs.

Comment

Working...
                                X