No announcement yet.

The Bicycle Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use a separate battery pack in my camelbak with a helmet mounted magicshine copy. (Saves having the weight on the head and lasts for 4hrs on full power). Those all seem rather pricey, but then UK based stock always seems to be.

The most important question is how long is your max ride?

If less then 90 mins:
    http://www.lightmalls.com/ultrafire-...ight-1-x-18650 - if you strap one of those to your bars and a http://www.lightmalls.com/ultrafire-...-torch-1-18650 on your helmet, you'll be ok. Note, you'll need decent (non-exploding) 18650 batteries from somewhere like flashaholics and a suitable charger. And mounting methods.

Comment

I use similar to charlesr, 2 cree xml t6 lights on the handlebars but the ones off ebay, you have to be careful as the battery packs arent waterproof but i notice some now come with sealed packs and screw on connectors.

Not been for a off road ride for ages since riding to work last few months, got some maxxis beaver tyres on order to do the job on muddy bits.

Cant seem to fit a xml t6 to my fox helmet for some reason unless i'm doing it wrong

Comment

I went for freakin amazing ride yesterday. 6PBs on Strava. Some heart stopping moments. Really pushing me envelope again (like I used to when I was half my current age....)

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
          I went for freakin amazing ride yesterday. 6PBs on Strava. Some heart stopping moments. Really pushing me envelope again (like I used to when I was half my current age....)
          nice, i bet having a full suspension adds more fun to the rides ? hardtails are pretty boring but great for getting up the hills to start the fun bit going down them.

have you put a xr mud on the rear with your baron up front on the trek ?

Comment

Full sus maeans you are going faster before you get scared. Which means that when you have a moment, it's more scary than a hardtail, because you are going faster.... So yes, adds to the variety and fun Nothing is a substitute for skill though - I have friends who ride hardcore hardtails faster down hills than I'd ever dare.

And yes, XR Mud on the back, Baron on the front. Totally amazing combo in this weather.

Comment

Anyone else watch this? where Guy Martin tries to beat the 110mph cycle record, was on last week, must be on 4OD.

Working Title ‘Speed’ for Channel 4 – Broadcast in 2014. A North One Television production.   Guy Martin claims that ... Read More

Interesting show, first episode of four different record attempts and a decent guy by looks of things.

Comment

Yeah I did see it and always like the stuff guy does.

One thing I did think if he hadn't been riding on sand he might have gone quicker.

Comment

Yes I thought the sand was a real weird choice of surface too. Roll on the next episode.

Comment

This girl is more impressive: she takes the brakes off her mtb for less wind resistance so she can go faster. http://www.vitalmtb.com/videos/membe.../iceman2058,94

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                      Full sus maeans you are going faster before you get scared. Which means that when you have a moment, it's more scary than a hardtail, because you are going faster.... So yes, adds to the variety and fun Nothing is a substitute for skill though - I have friends who ride hardcore hardtails faster down hills than I'd ever dare.

And yes, XR Mud on the back, Baron on the front. Totally amazing combo in this weather.
                      As it's a new year, I'm thinking time for a new bike, I'm using my hard tail more as a commuting bike to work it seems of late.

Is 150mm travel too much for general trail riding ?

I'm eyeing up a canyon nerve al+ 8.0 but also looking at a spectral al 6.

My thoughts are the nerve al+8 will be too much for my riding but setting sag etc it will drop a little anyway.

other things to think about do I need a dropper post, extra chain ring on front over a 2x10 setup on the spectral and lower 140mm suspension.

I can get up most hills on my current bike in middle 32t with 11-34 cassette but I see some bikes come with a 36 or 38/24 double, surely 38t is too big or you must be well fit to use that up hills ?

Any advice charlesr ?

Also Have you seen that Steve peat film about mountain biking is out soon, looks great from the trailers.

Comment

150mm is fine if the forks and suspension are well set up.
                        You need a Reverb dropper. Amazing. I use it all the time.
                        2x11? Then you can have a massive 1st gear for easy climbing.

Get the Strive instead. Otherwise, it won't be different enough to your hardtail. Comes with 34" shocks and a dropper.

Comment

For the price out of them, I fancy getting the nerve al+ 8 though as it looks too good spec wise.

concerns with a dropper post is with my weight as most rides are xc based with a little hills and wonder if they are strong enough to be sat on the seat for lengths of time.

Hill climbing I'm wondering about too as an am bike is going to be heavier and have a steeper head angle, not too bothered if the bike has a triple front rings as German bikes seem to have these on a lot of them as I already have on hard tail.

Sizing too I'm thinking medium like my current bike is, as stand over height is similar even though the canyon is 650b.

Or would the more xc based nerve 120 travel be more suitable because the 25 miler + routes around my home are more xc but rough with some hills, where a full suss would be ideal.

I'm also tweaking my hard tail too at the minute, new xt clutch mech, shifters and shorter stem

Comment

You have to get a bike that will be most fun on the trails you will use most of the time. I have a variety of trails within an hour's drive, so I wanted something that will do everthing (and am doing enduro racing). If you get a burly bike, will you take it places regularly? If you get an XC full sus bike, will it be any different fun than your hardtail?

Ask the bike shop about the dropper, but I can't see why it wouldn't stay put. If it's a problem, then maybe a 3 stage non-hydraulic?

Comment

the strive could be an option as the forks can be lowered to 120 from 160 in the talas mode to make it more xc friendly.

what i want is something that more fun as the hard tail is limited by the front travel and also noticed i probably need a shorter stem now as the bars seem quite away from me giving me less control, if you can understand what i mean, i never noticed it at the time of buying.

A mate is getting back into riding and planing on going to places like dalby, gisburn etc so will take it places.

i wont rush into buying as this is going to be a lot of money to spend 3/4 times what my current bike cost.

Comment

Beryl began back in 2012 with Laserlight. To date, over 350,000 riders have used our bikes, e-bikes, e-scooters and cargo bikes. Download the app and start riding today.

Comment

Working...
                                X