The Bicycle Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
    Excellent. What lights do you use? I'm off for a ride in an hour. Looks like a lovely day.
    I bought some of those cheapo Cree a few years ago and they are still going strong. It is basically just an LED torch you strap to your handlebars. I run two, one on low for street riding then the other I switch on with the first one full power for the fast bits through the woods.

The only naff thing about the lights is the charger was a bit dodgy.
    Last edited by SUMIRE; 08-10-2013, 10:03.

Comment

i've got two cree lights that i put on the bars and they are great but the battery packs arent really waterproof as i found out on a ride to work in heavy rain.

charlesr, the new tyre is similar to an xr4, uprated sidewalls and tread and hopefully less weight than other tyres for dh.

if i buy and fit a 10 speed 42/32/24 deore chainset with a 9 speed 11-34 cassette i should only need to add a link or so back into the chain right ?

i cant seem to find new chainrings for alivio m430.

Comment

I thought the actual chains are different sizes for 10 and 9 speed. Certainly when you buy spare links they are different.

Comment

I thought the actual chains are different sizes for 10 and 9 speed. Certainly when you buy spare links they are different.
          The reason I asked was the chain being new was slightly slipping on front middle ring, so looking at new rings but looks like upgrade to new chain set with bottom bracket is a better option.

A new deore m590 with ht 2 bb is about 60 quid plus fitting which will do for a while.

In my thoughts of upgrading to 10 speed, I was told to replace cassette, chain and rear mech/ shifters but the front would be fine if not worn etc.

Comment

I'm thinking about getting an electric bike for my new commute route. depending where the new office will be but I reckon 6 miles back n fourth. Did struggle using my normal Gary Fisher over 5 days, 12 miles each.

Maybe the Smart E-Bike?

Comment

Were you using knobbly tires? If so, a cheap pair of spare wheels with commuter tyres on would be cheaper and would keep you fit. (sorry I have no idea about electric bikes)

Comment

Were you using knobbly tires? If so, a cheap pair of spare wheels with commuter tyres on would be cheaper and would keep you fit. (sorry I have no idea about electric bikes)
                I'm thinking of doing this but wonder about using two different chains on the front chain set ?

Last night in bike shop, I asked how much a new middle chain ring was 32 pound but can get a new deore m590 triple with hollow tech 2 bb for 60 pound.

So think I'll be going for this, the bb and new rings will be an upgrade to what I have got at the moment which is Alivio m430.

Comment

A dog was chasing a car today on a quiet country road stretch. I didn't see it. Dog veers out from behind car just as I'm squeezing through the gap next to the car. Car, dog or ditch? I chose ditch. Only lost 20 seconds off my strava time though.

Comment

A dog was chasing a car today on a quiet country road stretch. I didn't see it. Dog veers out from behind car just as I'm squeezing through the gap next to the car. Car, dog or ditch? I chose ditch. Only lost 20 seconds off my strava time though.
                    Have you given in and got a road bike ?

I would get one if I can put some straight bars on it or maybe a hybrid is more suited to me and a 29er for getting to work n back.

Comment

Was at the Triathlon shop..... They have some lovely road bikes. I somehow need to persuade myself I need a roadbike. I so don't though.

Comment

Originally posted by SUMIRE View Post
                        I bought some of those cheapo Cree a few years ago and they are still going strong. It is basically just an LED torch you strap to your handlebars. I run two, one on low for street riding then the other I switch on with the first one full power for the fast bits through the woods.

The only naff thing about the lights is the charger was a bit dodgy.
                        Originally posted by wod View Post
                        i've got two cree lights that i put on the bars and they are great but the battery packs arent really waterproof as i found out on a ride to work in heavy rain.
                        I got a Cree (Trustfire) T6 it's great for riding through the park on the commute, the spare battery was a crap one so only got one until I realised I can use my camera batteries in it.

...which brings me on to...the battery in my front flasher (CR2016) went on Monday my others were running CR2032's so decided to buy a fresh light and instead of a battery one, went with one of those Knogg Blinder's.
                        Really smart, inbuilt USB charges from a PC, it's got the latest battery tech - lithium polymer, got a storage mode to protect the battery when not using for long periods and has some nice flashing modes on the light itself.

Comment

Was at the Triathlon shop..... They have some lovely road bikes. I somehow need to persuade myself I need a roadbike. I so don't though.
                          just get a set of slicks and use your mtb for road rides maybe ?

I need to consider my options as riding to work is nice on the mtb but I'm just wearing it out.

The new chain set with hollow tech 2 bottom bracket is a really good upgrade though can feel how better the pedal strokes are.

Comment

Superb ride this morning. No strava improvements now till next year - mud, leaves, rain, terror! Didn't fall off, but came so close a few times. Out of practice with all this brilliant weather we've been having.

Comment

Check out this 10 year old

Comment

Wow good stuff, wasn't expecting the ending though.

Was he riding a small frame 26er ?

Is your hard tail bike a triple chain set, I've been pondering about going 2 rings which should drop a little weight off.

Still need to drop more weight off my trek though.

Are foam grips any good as sometimes can feel it in my hands after long rides even though my fox gloves have gel padding.

Comment

Working...
                                X