The Bicycle Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wod View Post
    just get a set of slicks and use your mtb for road rides maybe ?

I need to consider my options as riding to work is nice on the mtb but I'm just wearing it out.

The new chain set with hollow tech 2 bottom bracket is a really good upgrade though can feel how better the pedal strokes are.
    Did you get a Hybrid Wod? I'm commuting on my Zesty at the moment but like you I feel I'm wearing it out. Been looking at a Crosstrail or a Sirrus.

Has anyone any experience/opinions on these two, or can suggest an alternative?

Comment

Originally posted by Pavey View Post
      Did you get a Hybrid Wod? I'm commuting on my Zesty at the moment but like you I feel I'm wearing it out. Been looking at a Crosstrail or a Sirrus.

Has anyone any experience/opinions on these two, or can suggest an alternative?
      I haven't yet, still using my mtb. I might just convert my hard tail mtb and put the money towards a full suspension I've wanted for a while.

I've just been tonight looking at mtb road tyres as I'm riding on 2.25 racing Ralph's.

have you looked at boardman, felt, giant, hoy bikes ?

Comment

Today I've ordered some shimano m520 spd pedals to try out as they were only ?15.49 on offer at Merlin cycles.

now to find some cheap shoes to try out as my feet were slipping on my flats this morning.

I think I may end up with some am45s or something.

Any suggestions ?

Comment

I think the 45s are pretty bombproof. I've got some Shimano XC race shoes I've been using for years and they are still going strong

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
            I think the 45s are pretty bombproof. I've got some Shimano XC race shoes I've been using for years and they are still going strong
            Yeah as everyone seems to say get some five tens, sombrio etc.

With the am45s if I don't like spds I can still use them with flats I hope.

As 15.49 for some spds was too good an offer not to give them ago.

next to get road tyres for mtb to make me faster on the road .

Comment

I bought a Baron in the end: http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product...ding-tyre.html
              Hope it's actually in stock. LBS couldn't get one from normal sources.

Comment

I bought a Baron in the end: http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product...ding-tyre.html
                Hope it's actually in stock. LBS couldn't get one from normal sources.
                I thought you bought a Dh xr4 tyre for your trek remedy ?

Others have been using Hans dampf or rubber queen tyres.

I'm looking at building a hack bike for riding around on and to work,

Comment

I got a G4 and a GMud for actual DH, but that's only a few times a year. They are too heavy for my normal rides. Stupendous grip though.

Don't know about Hans dampf, but a friend has just taken his Rubber Queens off for the winter because they don't declog well (the Baron is designed for wet weather)

Comment

I'm thinking of trying a pair of maxxis beaver tyres this winter.

The places I ride don't get really muddy to need a proper mud tyre.

What you might like to try is some mucky nuts mud guards to keep mud off the rear shock etc, the front one I use has been great.

I've seen a giant xtc 2 frame for a good price to build a 2nd bike up, worth a punt ?

Comment

How would this differ to your current ride? 29 version?

I'm actually fitting mudguards to my Remedy right now.
                      Got these: https://www.themudhugger.co.uk/

Comment

Insane:

Comment

How would this differ to your current ride? 29 version?

I'm actually fitting mudguards to my Remedy right now.
                          Got these: https://www.themudhugger.co.uk/
                          The giant frame is 26er so would be lighter then the trek I have already I hope.

I would be using the frame to build a hybrid type ride to work bike because looking at prices of hybrids and the specs are rubbish.

I like the look of those mud hugger guards, the front one is better than the mucky nuts which still allows stones/gravel etc hit the down tube because it's not curved enough.

The rear guard I don't think will fit my bike as gear/ brake cables run down the rear triangle on my trek.

Comment

Yeah, mine too...... Only just noticed I'm going to have to get going with the hacksaw.

Comment

I've given in and bought some schwalbe city jet road mtb tyres, were only 20pound hope these are a lot quicker than the racing Ralph's I'm currently using.

Looking at trying to get faster to boost my fitness even more on the road.

Did you get the rear mudguard to fit ?

Comment

Just bought myself one of these to replace my aging Claud Butler. I am very pleased!

Comment

Working...
                                X