Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Applying for all the paperwork to get married in Italy* was fairly flippin' close in the tiresome stakes I can tell you.

*see also applying for anything official whatsoever in France. Land of bureaucracy.

Comment

Originally posted by Guts View Post
      Well, what did you do? Did you call an ambulance or the cops?
      As we went past, they all disappeared into the night within half a minute or so. It was obvious that they had gone on for ages but nobody was seriously hurt, my friend pointed out that a couple of them had blood on their clothes. But there was easily 50- 80 people there who had witnessed it all. It's a bit of a blur as we were just passing through. Sadly I think this stuff happens every night, quite a few times. I just don't see it I suppose.

Comment

Finding out today, via Satoru Iwata, that the Japanese pronounce Ubisoft as 'U.B.I. Soft'. I mean JESUS. It's like they're really putting in the extra effort to make sure they get absolutely everything wrong.

Comment

Sorry but a quick Wiki reveals that:

The name "Ubi" comes from the acronym Union des Bretons Ind?pendants (Independent Breton Union).[5]

So they aren't exactly wrong, just not using the common pronunciation.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubisoft

Comment

Yeah, I know that, but that doesn't mean it's supposed to be pronounced that way. And that's not why the Japanese pronounce it that way either.

Comment

In that case:

Ban this sick filth.

I'm irked by my third cold of the last two months. It is party season - I don't have time to be ill.

Comment

It's because ubi sounds like yubi(finger), which is what they cut off whenever they do something wrong, according to the Japanese Culture wiki.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsThere View Post
                  Sorry but a quick Wiki reveals that:

The name "Ubi" comes from the acronym Union des Bretons Ind?pendants (Independent Breton Union).[5]

So they aren't exactly wrong, just not using the common pronunciation.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubisoft
                  Also, it says it's an acronym, not an initialism. An acronym is pronounced as a new word, not as each individual letter. If I made a company and called it Radarsoft, it would include an acronym, but nobody would pronounce it r-a-d-a-r-soft. Nobody but the Japanese!

Comment

Bastards!

Comment

You're heading over there, right? Can't you have a word with them?

Comment

I'll bring it up at the annual Engrish meeting. Speaking of heading over there, I have an ALT skype interview tomorrow morning. Should be fun. And also maybe one on Friday.

Comment

Originally posted by billy_dimashq View Post
                          It's because ubi sounds like yubi(finger)
                          but pronouncing it U.B.I.soft still sounds like yuu-bee (finger) with eye on the end, so 'finger love' and thats probably worse
                          Last edited by charlesr; 06-12-2012, 06:39.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
                            Hehe! Always makes me chuckle.
                            Try living there, trust me it's not pretty!!

Comment

The initial scrote arsehole I spoke to in Currys who told me that my broken 3 month old Playbook couldn't be returned because I didn't take out their "whatever happens" insurance. I wanted to punch him in the face as hard as possible. I was barely able to speak to him for fear of knocking him out. Luckily he went and found someone who was somewhat aware of consumer law and now it's off to RIM to be fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by yvrmikiw View Post
                                Originally posted by billy_dimashq View Post
                                It's because ubi sounds like yubi(finger)
                                but pronouncing it U.B.I.soft still sounds like yuu-bee (finger) with eye on the end, so 'finger love' and thats probably worse
                                Dear God, what have we started?

Comment

Working...
                                X