No announcement yet.

The Photography Thread 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Given their cost price, I think I'd have to sell the car .

Comment

When I got the D610 I was mulling the D4's, she told me to just go and buy one and pay back the money into our account (she liked the idea of me being in debt to 'us' - she put it as her being Angela Merkel and me the Greek Finance Minister)

I instead got the D610 with my own money and kept the favour in my back pocket, now though it would be just my luck this time she says no!

Comment

They're available for pre-order on WEX's website now: http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-n...gn=main-banner - ?5199.00.

The D500 is ?1,729 body only.

Comment

To be fair that's a good price MartyG, when the D4's was launched the cheapest price on camerpricebuster was ?5,200 , in Japan however on Amazon it was ?3,500.

D5 on Amazon.jp is 675,540 JPY which with our currently crap exchange rate is ?4,100, if/when we get back to 185 yen per pound the price comes down to ?3,500 or thereabouts.

Comment

I'm selling a load of stuff to put towards a new camera. Torn between a 7D Mk2 and 5D Mk3 at the mo. Recently took out a loan for a Canon 600mm lens, so I need a better body than my 7D which is too noisy.

Comment

You shoot birds don't you? That 1.6x crop on the 7D Mk2 might be nice.

Comment

Yeah I was gonna say, if you are into photography where the zoom is important, then the 7D is the better option over the full frame 5D

Comment

Yeah I exclusively shoot birds. I have a 1.4 tc too. So I wouldn't loose much with the ff and it's supposed to be better when you crop like for like. The 7d is very very good though. It's very hard to get unbiased opinions though.

Comment

Well if you're complaining about grain then the extra stops of light that a full frame would provide you with couple be good? Again though, a 7D Mk2 might even outperform that when you compare like for like low light performance considering it is some years newer now. The 5D Mk3 is getting on a bit I feel.

Might be worth renting both of them if you're really on the fence though.

Comment

Originally posted by Strider View Post
                      Yeah I exclusively shoot birds. I have a 1.4 tc too. So I wouldn't loose much with the ff and it's supposed to be better when you crop like for like. The 7d is very very good though. It's very hard to get unbiased opinions though.
                      Depends how hard you're cropping and how hard you're pushing the ISO. If you're already cropping with your 600mm on a APS-C then full frame is going to lose you a lot of data. The 23MP (ish) sensor in the 5D Mk III cropped to APS-C gives you the just about the same megapixels as the 7D Mk1, so the 20MP 7D Mk2 is probably going to give you better results if you're not maxing out the ISO. You'll be losing less with the 1.4TC attached of course, so that might level things out, although you'll lose out on 4 fps if you go with the full frame camera.

What you really want is the 5DSR
                      Last edited by MartyG; 07-01-2016, 11:46.

Comment

Originally posted by Strider View Post
                        I'm selling a load of stuff to put towards a new camera. Torn between a 7D Mk2 and 5D Mk3 at the mo. Recently took out a loan for a Canon 600mm lens, so I need a better body than my 7D which is too noisy.
                        Wow, impressed - like to see some shots from that beast!

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                        Depends how hard you're cropping and how hard you're pushing the ISO. If you're already cropping with your 600mm on a APS-C then full frame is going to lose you a lot of data. The 23MP (ish) sensor in the 5D Mk III cropped to APS-C gives you the just about the same megapixels as the 7D Mk1, so the 20MP 7D Mk2 is probably going to give you better results if you're not maxing out the ISO. You'll be losing less with the 1.4TC attached of course, so that might level things out, although you'll lose out on 4 fps if you go with the full frame camera.

Although you do lose magnification, FF does give you clarity and low noise performance. If you can get close enough to your subject then FF for me is the way to go, never looked back going from APS-C to FF.

Comment

Yes, if you're not having to crop then of course FF wins out - but if you're cropping back down to APS-C and further you lose that advantage. Getting closer to birds in flight isn't that easy a lot of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post

Marty, stop being a bad influence :P I love the look of it, but it's out of my price league.

Comment

Some of my shots are here Ampanman
                              Explore Darran Jones’s 479 photos on Flickr!

I hadn't adjusted my 7D initially so everything before the pair of ducks aren't great, but it still might need a little tweaking as someone mentioned it might be front focusing. Oh and the Redwing is a bridge.

I also have a blog here

Comment

Awesome shots, there is a reason Canon and Nikon make the 'exotics'.

If anyone wants to know what 'pop' means take a look at the shot of the Common Sandpiper, it's truly '3D' like.

Lovely Kingfisher shots too.

Comment

Working...
                                X