The car thread 2.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PeteJ View Post
    What do you think? Does an official respray ever look as good as factory, especially when it's just one door that'll be done?
    I'd personally get it resprayed if they can give you a meaningful amount of cash off, I've had a couple of accidents in my company cars and it absolutely amazes me how they can take an obliterated body panel or bumper and make it look like new.

Make sure you get them to tell you how much they will take off before you agree, I'd be even tempted to play them and say you are going to think about it. They will have to sell it preregistered and it possibly sell it for less than the discount they offer you on it so it's perhaps actually a good opportunity to win on something that would be otherwise indistinguishable.

Comment

There is a bodyshop almost opposite where I work. swear there are ten guys there all of different nationalities but the work they churn out is amazing quality wise.
      EB is right though. Get the discount agreed and in writing before you agree to do anything.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
        Anyone have any suggestions for a car if I can't find a 5th of 6th generation Civic as a first car? Seems really hard to find one in good condition..
        Mk1 Fabia vRS. 130bhp diesel hot-ish hatch. Cheap to run and quite a smart little motor. Pretty practical as well.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
          this is something girls do.
          Not always, though my Passat wasn't given a friendly name - it was called 'Beast' The new car (another Passat) should be titled 'Beast 2'

Though as this one is diesel I'll probably just call it a Taxi

Comment

I'd only accept a brand new car needing a bodywork repair done if it was a substantial discount personally.

Oh, and both my cars have names, I'm just a big girl.

Comment

They will have to sell it preregistered and it possibly sell it for less than the discount they offer you on it so it's perhaps actually a good opportunity to win on something that would be otherwise indistinguishable.
              That's a good point. The car is registered (would it be in my name?) so if I don't accept it would that mean they would only be able to sell it as second hand?

Comment

Originally posted by PeteJ View Post
                That's a good point. The car is registered (would it be in my name?) so if I don't accept it would that mean they would only be able to sell it as second hand?
                I'm not sure how it works, but as far as I know the car becomes registered when it gets it's number plate. Some people get really ancy about it, so it can have a negative effect on the price.

Comment

If it's pre registered it has the dealer as the first owner on the V5, which in turn when you sell it means you're selling a two owner car, even though it was never used prior to you buying it. I've bought pre registered in the past and saved several thousand straight from the dealers because of it, they do it to fudge their sales figures mainly.

EDIT: Oops, unless you mean they've already registered it in your name?

Comment

Car scratch update!

They aren't sending it to be resprayed after all, and have sent it to the bodyshop to polish the scratches out. They have said they are 90% gone and not expecting to get any better. I've been told they would rather keep the car themselves and use it as a demonstrator and get me another, but I'm going to go over tomorrow to take a look anyway on the off chance a discount is on the cards. I don't particularly want a damaged car obviously but figure if I keep going in to make a fuss I'm more likely to get something out of it in the end.

There is another car available in the same spec in the country, so if I get another car it'll be another two weeks, rather than the usual lead time of twelve weeks. As they are pushing me to get a new car I suspect that although registered, the current one is registered to them or not yet officially been given a plate.

Comment

Ring them up and tell them you are cancelling. Make them squirm

Comment

Hey you guys! Whatta ya think? I received my insurance renewal documents from my insurer for the next year which correctly lists that I will have accrued 6 years ncd. However, as the renewal quote was a whopping ?600 higher than the cheapest rival quote I rang them up to say that when the insurance expires on the 26th I didn't want to renew. They didn't quibble as they said they couldn't drop that much to match and would send through confirmation in due course. All fine. This evening I've received an automated email from them with a pdf confirmation of my ncd but it states it at 5 years. Ring them tomorrow to try and hash out etc or is the 6 years detailed in the renewal pack proof enough for the next insurer?

Comment

6 years written on your renewal is what your new insurers are after.

Comment

Cool, given it a go and sent off the renewal quote as ncd proof. Nice to potentially see one bill go down rather than up

Comment

There is something morally wrong with collecting a new car that is scratched! Basically for me, if it was scratched it's not new anymore and remember the same sort of place will knock hundreds off a trade in if you have scratched your car! I'd want a serious discount.

Comment

Originally posted by capcom_suicide View Post
                                There is something morally wrong with collecting a new car that is scratched! Basically for me, if it was scratched it's not new anymore and remember the same sort of place will knock hundreds off a trade in if you have scratched your car! I'd want a serious discount.
                                Went to see it yesterday and they had done a pretty good job, scratches almost invisible and to be honest if it was like this originally I never would have seen the damage and would be driving the car now. But hey, it happened. They wouldn't offer any discount despite the damage, so it'll now be used as a showroom vehicle for a while before being sold as a demonstrator. They are getting me another new car at same spec, again with no discount but I asked for a free spare wheel which they are honouring.

I probably could have held out for more but what the hell. Now watch them drop the value of my car for the part ex

Comment

Working...
                                X