X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On behalf of the rest of the forum reading this thread:

faceparm.

Comment

We're moving onto spelling now? Not quite the same, but there's a scary amount of American English being used on this forum. People using 'analog' instead of 'analogue', 'program' instead of 'programme' etc.

I don't have anything against American English as such, but it shows how little we really think about what we say or type!

Comment

I learned all my English skills from RPGs. True fax. I imported the majority of my RPGs from America so can I be excused?

Q: What is Grammar?
        A: The difference between knowing your ****, and knowing you’re ****.

Comment

During GCSE's i once did a whole grammar project spelling it 'er', the spelling was **** but the grammar was bloody excellent...

Comment

Originally posted by Adam View Post
            I learned all my English skills from RPGs. True fax. I imported the majority of my RPGs from America so can I be excused?

It's trufax anywayz.

*Imagine's chilesr will close this fred before long*
            Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Shakey_Jake33 View Post
              We're moving onto spelling now? Not quite the same, but there's a scary amount of American English being used on this forum. People using 'analog' instead of 'analogue', 'program' instead of 'programme' etc.

I don't have anything against American English as such, but it shows how little we really think about what we say or type!
              I'm just not good enough for you, am I Shakey?

In my defense, I'm not British and English is not my native language so I have a right to mix American and British English freely.

Comment

It should be analog anyway. The controllers clearly say Analog Controller on the back.
                Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Guts View Post

In my defense, I'm not British and English is not my native language so I have a right to mix American and British English freely.
                  Sorry, I was actually in two minds about posting it just in case I offended anybody! Obviously people who aren't British aren't included in what I said (which was only meant in semi-jest anyway).

I meant it in the sense that most people on the forum are British, and thus wouldn't have formally learnt to spell such words that way (just like how nobody in Britain would write 'color', 'flavor' etc). It's interesting how Americanisms have found their way into the spelling habits of British people without them realising it.

Comment

Originally posted by Guts View Post

Sorry, I was actually in two minds about posting it just in case I offended anybody! Obviously people who aren't British aren't included in what I said (which was only meant in semi-jest anyway).

I meant it in the sense that most people on the forum are British, and thus wouldn't have formally learnt to spell such words that way (just like how nobody in Britain would write 'color', 'flavor' etc). It's interesting how Americanisms have found their way into the spelling habits of people without them realising it.
                    Last edited by sj33; 22-01-2013, 10:12.

Comment

[double post]
                      Last edited by sj33; 22-01-2013, 10:13.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam View Post
                        That's great!

Sadly, I can't seem to phrase it without the swearing.

I was actually pondering about the laziness of Americans using "sh!t" to replace lots of words.

Sometimes it's funny, other times it's overused.

Comment

English and American spelling differences do seen to confuse the non English lecturers and students at uni - the amount of lecture notes I have with the word "labour" spelt both with and without the "u", even on the same slide, is insane.

Comment

Shakey, don't worry buddy. I was just joking. No harm done.

Comment

I'd always thought program was the verb and programme was the noun. A quick search would suggest otherwise and is duly noted.

Comment

Program for computers, and programme for TV was how I was taught...
                                Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Working...
                                X