No announcement yet.

The Relationship Thread II: Lost in that Last Goodbye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks [MENTION=2447]EvilBoris[/MENTION] got everything for the day booked but it does look nice maybe dinner or drinks there

Comment

What? Nothing since July???

Blimey!

Anyway, we're planning on getting married this year.

I'm getting confused over whether we should get married in Japan or the UK. I guess Japan makes more sense because we're both stable there and will have been living together for over two years(with evidence).

We will likely stay in Japan for a little while longer(~3 years) anyway but we want to move to the UK permanently after that. From what I understand(and from what beautiful people like [MENTION=9333]kryss[/MENTION] have posted), getting married in Japan and then moving back is easier than moving back and then getting married(not least because my gf's company, while allowing transfer to their London office, doesn't sponsor work visas).

British Embassy says I only need my birth certificate which I'll look for when I'm at my parent's house later.

Hmm...

Comment

Weddings are incredibly stressful as they are so maybe stick to Japan. It sounds easier and some stress removed right of the bat. Planning a wedding taking place where you're not might not be so easy.

Comment

Oh sorry by wedding I just mean registration.

Regarding ceremonies, we're thinking Japanese-style here in Japan for family/close friends, smaller Western-style gathering for other friends, then she wants an Indian wedding party in London because sherwanis are teh sex

Comment

Had my ten year wedding anniversary during the week. Ten years... how did that happen?

Comment

About 10 years ago I would say...
              [MENTION=2625]randombs[/MENTION] did you already look at the process to get a spousal visa for your other half? Best to look into which is easier/faster: applying before you move or applying after.

Not sure how much you've read up but basically you book an appointment at the embassy in Japan, get a certificate of no impedance, and take that to your city office. I'm not 100% but I imagine the one where her family toseki is registered is the easiest.
              Oh and you'll need two witnesses to sign as well but they don't have to be there, you can take the form to them to sign. Which I think is bizarre but there you go.

Comment

The shoes ruin it!

Comment

I think it's really important that you have the wedding in the UK, [MENTION=2625]randombs[/MENTION].
                  Not for any legal reasons, just that we can use the reception as an unofficial Bordersdown meetup!
                  I like the thought that your music for the evening will be a crossover between something like Panjabi MC and Babymetal.

Comment

And the first dance music can be "Baby Got Back"

Nothing on the relationship front my end sadly, I've been out with three women, and all have progressed to several dates, and then something's happened down the line. In at least one case, if not two, it's because she's been on dates with other guys at the same time, and decided to pick someone else other than me!

Still, I have another date tonight with a new lass, so fingers crossed, something might come of that...
                    Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by Wools View Post
                      The shoes ruin it!
                      Haha and, even worse, I'm size 11!

Indoclown shoes!

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
                        Haha and, even worse, I'm size 11!

Indoclown shoes!
                        Hey man, if you can wear that kick arse suit, the shoes won't matter a bit!

Comment

Maybe not!
                          [MENTION=9333]kryss[/MENTION]

My engineer visa won't run out until 2019. I'm wondering whether to just stick with that one but I'm not sure if getting married would force me to change to a spouse visa. Spouse visa can't hurt but the embassy site says they're only 1 or 3 years. It'd be pretty lame to get a 1-year one! Considering my good fortune there so far I highly doubt it but you never know...

Comment

I'm on a 5 year spouse visa.

However when I first changed over they gave me a 1 year that expired before my existing 3 year visa had been due.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
                              Maybe not!
                              [MENTION=9333]kryss[/MENTION]

My engineer visa won't run out until 2019. I'm wondering whether to just stick with that one but I'm not sure if getting married would force me to change to a spouse visa. Spouse visa can't hurt but the embassy site says they're only 1 or 3 years. It'd be pretty lame to get a 1-year one! Considering my good fortune there so far I highly doubt it but you never know...
                              I was meaning her visa when you guys move to the UK. Spousal visas in Japan can be gotten in a few minutes, applying for her to reside in the UK will take longer I think.

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
                                I was meaning her visa when you guys move to the UK. Spousal visas in Japan can be gotten in a few minutes, applying for her to reside in the UK will take longer I think.
                                In 2002, took us twelve months and over ?400 to get the wife's permanent leave to remain or whatever it's called now.

Comment

Working...
                                X