Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Post your Internet connection speed a.k.a. How big is my pipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This morning I'm on 17 MB download and only 2MB upload on virgin media. Although hard wired it would be much better, the rubbish Wi-Fi these routers kick out just bottlenecks the whole speed.

Originally posted by Lyris View Post
    Doubt it. I'm in the US and get 1:1 speeds (50 down and 50 up).

In the UK on Virgin Media I got a pathetic 3mbps up but something like 65mb down.
    Once when we had a last minute error on a Blu-ray Disc that had to be replicated in time for Christmas, I actually had to fly down to Sony in London to personally courier the corrected version.
    1:1 speed! You could only dream of that in the UK.

I had to read what you put twice for a second because I though you meant you personally drove the plane!

Comment

lol. I dream of 3Mbs up. ( /stuck record)

Comment

1ms ping. \o/ (must be something wrong there with caching)
        BT cocked up and put me on a 40/10 profile - Vivaciti are calling them tomorrow to get it switched to 80/20

Last edited by charlesr; 10-07-2014, 16:55.

Comment

Going to miss your broadband woes stories though Charles, in a nice way of course.

Those servers aren't exactly on your doorstep are they.

Comment

Heh, yeah.
            Although it's not quite there yet. BT still haven't sent an engineer out to reprofile me to 80/20.
            However, now that it has settled down, I'm getting:

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Improve!

Comment

This'll do till they release that 300mb soon...

Would love to see my ping but Java doesn't play nice with win 8.1

Comment

got my employee broadband increased to employee infinity today

should settle down in around 3 days but just after it was installed it was at around 38m download and 18 upload

was happy before and happier now considering its free and it was either 4 or 8 before
                    Last edited by buster_broon; 17-07-2014, 22:30.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Lucifer View Post
                      This'll do till they release that 300mb soon...

Would love to see my ping but Java doesn't play nice with win 8.1
                      Worked ok for me - I use chrome and pressed the "install plugin" button and it took me to java site which I installed (the initial download said chromejavainstaller or something) and then restarted chrome, allowed the firewall thingies and off it went.

Then I uninstalled java after doing the test

Comment

Just tested my phone connection (4G) which I use for tethering here in work so the compnay can't monitor what I'm looking at.

Comment

I'm on VDSL here in Japan. It's up to 100/100. Most I've seen is about 60MB/s each way over the wire. Wifi nets me about 30-40Mb max.

Usually it's a LOT slower than that. More like 10Mb/s if we're lucky. It's horrible. These last few weeks I've been at home during the day and the speeds have been nice(I've got bugger-all to take advantage of them, though).

Upload is always fast at 30-50Mb/s usually.

Our ISP(OCN) won't talk to me about account stuff because it's in my gf's name despite me having all the security details. I'm gonna see if they can add me as an authorised person on the account for dealing with the technical stuff.

I thought maybe it would take a while to equalise like ADSL does so I'll try calling them this weekend. They have English support staff who actually know what they're on about and are usually better than the Japanese staff.

My LTE/4G connection sometimes gets speeds similar to Yakumo's post. Most of the time it's faster than my VDSL
                          Last edited by randombs; 18-07-2014, 05:30.

Comment

new speed test this morning - seems its getting to the correct speed I was promised

Comment

Nice upload speed at work, would be great for gaming!

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
                                I'm on VDSL here in Japan. It's up to 100/100. Most I've seen is about 60MB/s each way over the wire. Wifi nets me about 30-40Mb max.
                                What the hell is VDSL? My home internet provider is also OCN but we use Hikari Fiber 1GB connection. We don't actually get 1GB though, normally around 400 to 500mbps which is easily fast enough.

Comment

Working...
                                X