Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My MacBook is from 2009. I rescued it from a coffee spill and had to replace the keyboard but it's been working fine since then.

Zero problems and I recently swapped out the DVD drive for an SSD and got 8GB RAM for cheap. It's running Yosemite because I wanted to use OpenEmu but I think I should've just put Snow Leopard back on and stuck with RetroArch which, while fiddly to set up, is rather lovely.

I imagine with Snow Leopard and an SSD the machine would fly.

It's getting long in the tooth but I rarely use it these days so I've no real reason to upgrade.

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
    Mine hasn't had a part touched, which half makes me think I should be looking at trying to fix it rather than replace it but it's like a really old dog now. Sometimes it is in great form, other times it just doesn't want to get up. The fan sounds like three XBox 360s all the time too which can't be a good sign.
    Sounds like the CPU heatsink is not sitting properly. Cutting out could be due to thermal shutdown to protect the CPU, as well as that slow down you mention. I reckon opening that bad boy up and replacing the CPU thermal paste or using a thermal pad will sort you out. Although, the warping could mean opening it breaks something else. Kid gloves etc etc.

Many moons ago I opened a laptop to fix something, saw the CPU thermal pad, figured we don't need that and THREW IT AWAY. When playing CPU-intensive games like MGS, often the game would slow to like 5fps for a few minutes and then go back to normal. If I ran the CPU in low-power mode(800MHz) it was completely fine. I couldn't quite put my finger on why and then someone said maybe it's overheating and I realised my huge mistake.
    Last edited by randombs; 09-10-2015, 01:01.

Comment

My W7 laptop was bought early 2010. My work Macbook Pro is from mid 2010. Both are still working fine.
      Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
        #Cowtown

I'm getting sick of people not being able to close their mouths when they eat. I have duct tape...
        I know, this city is really a petri dish of 'money can't buy class' (or basic table manners it seems). I also can't stand how people here seem to hunch over their food like freshly killed prey to shovel it in

I think this is one of the reasons I can't stand these ubiqitious shawarmas...the way people eat them...

Originally posted by toythatkills View Post
        This is really no way to talk about your wife.
        Cliche but was still blindsided, bravo then. Bit much though.

Erm, not sure I did, but in case I offended you, apologies, I admittedly was not trying very hard to be diplomatic about the woman

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
        My computer is dying. 5 and a half years old. That's probably not bad, eh?

I had a terrible week two weeks back with computers. Had all of these stop working the same day:

- Vaio home media PC (those little round ones) (dead HDD)
        - Samsung N120 netbook (indestructible really, pins to display cable got completely whacked, can this even be fixed?)
        - Sony fullsize laptop from 2007 I barely used (went to Win XP boot screen then naught, used recovery discks to reinstall Vista, same thing, urgh)
        - Fujitsu Lifebook tablet PC from 2008 or so (with those horrid, horrid non haptic touch screens) I bought new 2 years back and scarcely touched (crawls like it's a Pentium II and random BSODs)

Then I had two Panasonic vaccum cleaners and one other one die that same week

Man it was as though an electromagnetic pulse targeted my PCs and vacuum cleaners....
        Last edited by usman; 09-10-2015, 06:52.

Comment

Air Canada, ANA and JAL offering 'Yobiyose' tickets extremely cheap return for only 65000-70000 Y! But only FROM Japan =(

Comment

Originally posted by usman View Post
            Air Canada, ANA and JAL offering 'Yobiyose' tickets extremely cheap return for only 65000-70000 Y! But only FROM Japan =(
            "Yobiyose"? Is that some kind of special fare if you can prove you're visiting someone?

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
              "Yobiyose"? Is that some kind of special fare if you can prove you're visiting someone?
              Doubt it, that seems inefficient business-wise. I think it's just trying to get Japanese to visit here. Such and odd name, confused me, too

Comment

I'd go! But I'm going London and can't afford two holidays

Comment

I wouldn't waste your vacation time on Canada in the winter.....it could be a nice trip but I don't think it's a really worthwhile place to spend money visiting. It's just not very interesting unless you have emotional ties of so.e sort or really love huge expanses of nature but I think Japan and Scandis do that better anyway.
                  Last edited by usman; 09-10-2015, 22:08.

Comment

I'd go for the hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                      3 in the last 2 weeks! It must be random and I've just been lucky I reckon. Mind you the rest of the office is lucky too
                      I'm the complete opposite to you, they have cocked up my next day delivery that many times now I think I have 15 months of prime left despite being a member for 4 months. They screw up or are late 1 in 2 of mine easily, I only got it for collect + at the time which was great, Amazon logistics not so much

Comment

Originally posted by ETC View Post
                        I'm the complete opposite to you, they have cocked up my next day delivery that many times now I think I have 15 months of prime left despite being a member for 4 months. They screw up or are late 1 in 2 of mine easily, I only got it for collect + at the time which was great, Amazon logistics not so much
                        I've ordered two things from Amazon this week.

First was "sold by xxx but fulfilled by Amazon" the other was "sold by Amazon".

Went free delivery on both and they both arrived next day. Amazingly the first team was ordered on a Sunday and I still got it on Monday!

Comment

I made a stupid joke on Twitter a few days ago and some dirty racist found it and talked to me like I was her friend. Ew.

Comment

Did you block her?

Comment

I've never understood that 'fulfilled by Amazon' thing. What does it mean exactly? They hold the stock?

Comment

US media ignoring Malala Yousafazai's comments to Obama on drones. It's a little thing because it's no surprise.

She really is just a feel-good trophy for people. It makes me so sad to think of the poor kids who can't sleep because of the constant hum of killer drones above them.

Originally posted by toythatkills View Post
                                I made a stupid joke on Twitter a few days ago and some dirty racist found it and talked to me like I was her friend. Ew.
                                I don't like these people either, they are prejudiced and not very intelligent, but I think 'dirty racist' is a bit much...

Originally posted by Darwock View Post
                                I've never understood that 'fulfilled by Amazon' thing. What does it mean exactly? They hold the stock?
                                Yes it means it's actually sold and shipped by them and not some dodgy seller. Not that they're all dodgy.
                                Last edited by usman; 09-10-2015, 22:45.

Comment

Working...
                                X