What are you reading now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DavidFallows View Post
    Following Lair (The Rats 2) I started Domain (The Rats 3). And just like the first book I read it in one blast, weighing in as one huge 14hr read-binge! (400+ pages) Wow! What a book, what a trilogy! Films could never do any justice to these stories.

How anyone can read Domain, and still feel comfortable living in or close to a city, I don't know. Especially with it's spookily precise predictions on current world events, or events that will surely transpire from the current political climate if things don't change fast.
    I adored The Rats and Domain. Weirdly, I had such a hard time getting through Lair - what is so different that made is a more difficult read? I don't know.

But Domain is just amazing. It would make a fantastic movie if handled right (which it likely wouldn't be). I haven't actually read it in over ten years. I must go back to it to see what you're saying about the predictions and where we are now.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
      I must go back to it to see what you're saying about the predictions and where we are now.
      It genuinly **** me up all day Sunday and left me depressed yesterday, checking wiki to see where we are up to these days with tactical warheads etc, hoping the days of sloppy big bombs are long gone for everyone... when I know that'll obviously never be the case.

I think I know what you mean about Lair, it wasn't quite as compelling as the other two books (not compelling enough for me to one-shot it anyway ><) although still a good story, and the cresendo leaving question marks all over the place, which would not be answered until the next book.

Domain though - would certainly make a good movie in it's own right without the two 'prequels'.

However there are a few particular graphic scenes I don't think would carry across well onto screen, such as the one with the crazy woman surrounded with the rotting (and infested) remains of her family, tied with string, to the furniture whilst she carries on chatting to them like nothings happened - scoffing on weeks-old, fallout ridden food literally vomiting her guts up all over herself. The mental imagery I gathered reading that to myself was brutal. ><)

Comment

I need help..........

I need to get a book for my cousin in Canada and she is quite fond of England, so i thought id buy a book about England as she wants to come check it out in the future.

Anyways, im stuck because im not much of a reader and i thought instead of buying a book that talks about england and stuff from a factual point of view, i was thinking about a fictional book based on Britain or maybe humourous one about it which is easily accessable to foreigners so that they get the humour or atleast appreciate it without going over their head.

Fiction/humour/romance maybe? Nothing too graphic, as this is family afterall lol......

Can anyone give me some suggestions please? Not really looking for a hard back, as paper back is always so much easier to read.

Comment

I don't read as a rule mate, soz. lol. Especially not books suitable for women.

Comment

112, this might be perfect. I havent read it myself but I've been meaning to pick it up for a while:

Cashback from over 400 brands all on one platform. Shop with Rakuten & stack offers with discounts, voucher codes and cashback for great savings at top brands.

I've been reading Danny Wallace's Friends Like These, myself. Wonderful tale. Love all of his, and Dave Gorman's, stuff.

Comment

lol cutmymilk i was jus doing a lil search online and that same title popped up a few times..... was umming and arring bout it, it seems more aimed at men than woman though, still i might jus get it and see how it goes lol.........

Its a lot cheaper at Amazon so might go there.

Thanks bud!

Comment

Originally posted by 112 View Post
                I need help..........

I need to get a book for my cousin in Canada and she is quite fond of England, so i thought id buy a book about England as she wants to come check it out in the future.

Anyways, im stuck because im not much of a reader and i thought instead of buying a book that talks about england and stuff from a factual point of view, i was thinking about a fictional book based on Britain or maybe humourous one about it which is easily accessable to foreigners so that they get the humour or atleast appreciate it without going over their head.

Fiction/humour/romance maybe? Nothing too graphic, as this is family afterall lol......

Can anyone give me some suggestions please? Not really looking for a hard back, as paper back is always so much easier to read.

Bill Bryson's "Notes From A Small Island"?? It's an American's account of his time spent in various parts of the UK and it's pretty amusing, a very comfy, interesting, inoffensive read. It's not fiction, mind.

Comment

thnaks Jazz funk, saw bill brysons stuff, will look into your suggestion dude.

Comment

I've just started Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand (supposedly one of the major influences for Bioshock). It looks like an absolute monster, weighing in at over a thousand pages and with tiny print, but so far it's been incredibly easy to read. I'll give some impressions when I finally get round to finishing it (though that may be some way into the future!).

Comment

Just finished issue 7 of the Dan Dare comic which was fairly enjoyable & I'm now part way through Compulsion by Jonathan Kellerman.

Comment

I'm reading this thread.
                        Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

lol. I'm reading your post.

Comment

And id like my five seconds back for wasting my time reading both of your posts........

Comment

I'm reading 'Skinny Dip' by Carl Hiaasen, about 100 pages in. Classic Hiaasen - funny, addictive, riveting stuff. Haven't read any of his stuff since a massive Hiaasen splurge in about 2002 but it's good to be back.

Comment

Just gotta say that I'm 2/3 through Matter (Iain M Banks) as mentioned earlier and it's superb.

Comment

Working...
                                X