No announcement yet.

What are you reading now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is 1984 a big book? I don't know why, I've always pictured it fairly small. I really need to read that, I've been meaning to do it for years.

I used to read a lot, but I just don't seem to find the time any more. Last book I read was the finale of the Dark Tower series I think. Actually, it might have been Harry Potter, I'm not sure which came last.

Comment

1984 is pretty short, but any book is hard to follow if you read slow. I hate coming back to something after having not picked it up for a few days.

Reading An Intimate History of Humanity - Zeldin, at the moment. Not very far in, but so far its great. The whole book is divided into sort of micro-histories, focusing on certain individuals from past periods, detailing their lives over time, and from there going on to talk about more general themes. He opens with a brief account of an overworked and abused maid living in France around (I imagine) the late 19th century, and goes on to talk about domestic slavery, and slavery in general. That's about as far as I've got.

Comment

Just finished Glass Books of the Dream Eaters and The Dark Volume by G. Dahlquist.
        Highly recommended to anyone with an interest in fast paced Steampunk with an erotic edge
        You can also indulge in some old-school text adventuring based on the books at http://www.randomhouse.com/bantamdel...ite/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by Edame View Post
          I just finished reading The Naked God by Peter F. Hamilton which was the final part of his Night's Dawn trilogy. I thought all 3 books were fantastic, a really epic sci-fi space-opera. I think I'm going to read The Elegant Universe next, which is apparently a very good introduction to String theory.
          I'm nearing the end of The Reality Dysfunction at the moment, such an epic book. And the good thing is that there are the other 2 books from the series left for me

Comment

Love Peter F Hamilton books, and read 'The Dreaming Void' a while back - another great story..

Oh yeah, just finished another book about Lenny Mclean called 'The Guv'nor: Through the eye's of others'. Not sure what I thought of it really, it's basically a few lines from a load of people who knew Lenny in person. The unfortunate thing is that there's a few stories in there from people who didn't know Lenny - but REALLY wish they did (a bit sad really). Finally there's some stories from people who watched the 'The Krays' and decided that they wanted to get involved with London Gangsters, and pretty much hunted them down to get friendly with them - and therefore may have bumped into him via their pretty screwed up hero worship.

Ho hum. *goes off to look for Lenny's fights on youtube*
            Last edited by k0pp0; 20-05-2008, 21:12.

Comment

Has anyone read the 'The lies of locke lamora' by Scott Lynch? It's his debut novel and the first book in the proposed 'gentleman bastard sequence'. It's about a group of characters, centred around the titular hero, pulling a long con on various people in the fictional city of Camorr, a city that owes a lot to medieval Venice.

Two stories run in parallel, the origins of the various gentleman bastards and the group facing a present day menace known as the 'grey king' whilst also running a confidence game against one of the towns nobles.

Its got pirates, con artists, sharks, torture and an evil mage! what more could you want!

I read it in a few sittings on holiday and will definitely be going back for more (i think there are 2 more available currently)

Comment

Decided this morning that I haven't been reading enough recently, so I popped into Asda and picked up 'To Kill A Mocking Bird' and 'The Exorcist', neither of which I've read before (Have seen 'The Exorcist' though).

I usually read horror exclusively, so at least one of these will be a departure for me.

Comment

Diary of a Legionnaire: My Life in the French Foreign Legion

Good read, though a bit short at a couple of hundred pages, will probably have finished it by end of the weekend.

Comment

Mick Foley's "Have A Nice Day". Read it when it first came out, before Foley completely sold out - just bought it in a charity shop. Just as funny as I remembered. Must convince the wife she needs to read it.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Seany View Post
                      Mick Foley's "Have A Nice Day". Read it when it first came out, before Foley completely sold out - just bought it in a charity shop. Just as funny as I remembered. Must convince the wife she needs to read it.
                      Man, Foley could do no wrong back in 1999/2000 and everyone loved him. How things change. Have you read "Foley Is Good" too? Definitely worth a look if you haven't read it before.

Comment

Kateikyou Hitman REBORN! #20 and Road to Reality by Roger Penrose.

Comment

Read Foley is Good. Tietam novel is suprisingly excellent as well.

Comment

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this book or not, but I just got done reading "The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss, and it was staggeringly good. He makes me weep for my own meager talent. And, it is helping to bring me back to fantasy. I drfited away because all the fantasy books I was reading were blurring together into a morass of evil dragon king wizards with armies of ogre goblins going against the brave band of fellowship brothers with their shiny swords and wise sage mages. This book, though, has little of that. I highly recommend it.

Comment

Godzilla on My Mind by William Tsutsui. Really fascinating stuff, goes nicely in depth in so many areas yet never sinks into psychobabble or sociowank.

Comment

Seany, you read Jericho's book? Joint best wrestling book I've read that, along with Foley's first. Bret Hart's is supposed to be superb as well. I used to be a massive fan of his, right up until the Montreal screwjob.

Currently reading Sex, Lies and Headlocks. A kind of history of pro wrestling since the start of the NWA, with a heavy focus on McMahon and the scandal that follows him. Very, very good and I've even found out a few things that I did not previously know. Definately a keeper, and a great reference book for wrestling geeks like me!

Comment

Working...
                                X