No announcement yet.

What are you reading now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finished reading the Watchmen graphic novel in preparation for the movie, loved every minute of it. (I read it on my iPhone lol)

I've been wanting to start reading some of the Warhammer 40,000 books, mainly because i've been playing DoW2 lately and it reminded me how much I loved reading the short stories that were scattered through the old Codex books. Anyone know a good place to start or where I can find them to buy in eBook format (been searching all day)?

Oh and i'm currently reading "The Time Machine" through the Stanza app off the iphone store. Seen the movie but never read the book.

Comment

Started The Magician's Apprentice by Trudi Canavan the other day & enjoying it so far. I really liked The Black Magician trilogy by her, so I'm expecting good things with this one.

Comment

I picked up a lovely book at the weekend, from TK Maxx of all places!

Neil Leifer, Baseball - Ballet in the Dirt

Fascinating stuff, I'd recommend it to any sports-fan.

Comment

Originally posted by The Glider View Post
          Started The Magician's Apprentice by Trudi Canavan the other day & enjoying it so far. I really liked The Black Magician trilogy by her, so I'm expecting good things with this one.
          Is this another trilogy? Is it moreso like the Black Magician? I may pick it up after I have read this Robin Hobb series, I went off Trudi slightly with the Priestess malarky, poorly written and lacking imagination!

Comment

I'm not sure if it's another trilogy, but it's "set hundreds of years before the events of The Magicians? Guild". I had to skip her Priestess books as I just couldn't get into them. This one's a whopper of a book (600 pages), so it's going to take me ages to finish. Just hope that the library lets me keep on renewing it!

Comment

Aha I see, thanks for that I may pick it up soon then. Only 600 pages though, I would hope it is a trilogy in that case or they are very big pages with extremely small print ^^;

Comment

Just finished Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson and started the second on the trilogy - The Girl who played with Fire.
                Excellent read.
                The author wrote the trilogy without having them published and died shortly after completion.

Comment

Got tired of reading "The Sleeper Awakes", it hasnt really aged well (published in 1910). Instead I downloaded another book in ebook format called "His Majesty's Dragon" and I am enjoying it immensly, spent about 4 hours straight reading it until 1:30am. I also found out today that it is the first book in a series so I have two more books to buy and a fourth is being written at the moment Super happy funtime! Oh and its written by Naomi Novik.

Here's a little mini review
                  From Publishers Weekly
                  In this delightful first novel, the opening salvo of a trilogy, Novik seamlessly blends fantasy into the history of the Napoleonic wars. Here be dragons, beasts that can speak and reason, bred for strength and speed and used for aerial support in battle. Each nation has its own breeds, but none are so jealously guarded as the mysterious dragons of China. Veteran Capt. Will Laurence of the British Navy is therefore taken aback after his crew captures an egg from a French ship and it hatches a Chinese dragon, which Laurence names Temeraire. When Temeraire bonds with the captain, the two leave the navy to sign on with His Majesty's sadly understaffed Aerial Corps, which takes on the French in sprawling, detailed battles that Novik renders with admirable attention to 19th-century military tactics. Though the dragons they encounter are often more fully fleshed-out than the stereotypical human characters, the author's palpable love for her subject and a story rich with international, interpersonal and internal struggles more than compensate. (Apr.)
                  Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved
                  edit: I believe the ebook form of the book is free at the moment, I got it through the Stanza app for free and i've noticed a few websites mention that its free. Definately going to buy the other books though

edit2: Yeah I was right, it is available free in pretty much all formats PDF here
                  Last edited by Orgun; 13-03-2009, 11:49.

Comment

Just reading 'The Border Trilogy' by Cormack Mcwhatever..

Not ashamed to say I blubbed massively when

the boy kills/buries the wolf in 'The Crossing'

Fantastic read so far though.

Comment

A new discount book place has just opened up near me, went in the other day and was pleasantly suprised to find some George Pelecanos books in there for ?1.99 each. I hadn't read any of his stuff before but I knew of him because of The Wire. I picked up The Night Gardener and have been reading it on the bus on my way to work. Absolutely superb police procedural, much in the same vein as The Wire/Homicide/ Richard Price.

I have Last Exit To Brooklyn to read next; last week I finished Requiem For A Dream, which was a masterpiece imo.

On my bedside table I have all the volumes of Clive Barker's Books Of Blood - read the Yattering And Jack last night, quality. The Tales From The Darkside TV adaptation is wack though, the Yattering looks like a dwarf Lionel Richie. Check it out on Youtube any Barker fans!

Comment

Originally posted by Orgun View Post
                        Got tired of reading "The Sleeper Awakes", it hasnt really aged well (published in 1910). Instead I downloaded another book in ebook format called "His Majesty's Dragon" and I am enjoying it immensly, spent about 4 hours straight reading it until 1:30am. I also found out today that it is the first book in a series so I have two more books to buy and a fourth is being written at the moment Super happy funtime! Oh and its written by Naomi Novik.

Here's a little mini review

edit: I believe the ebook form of the book is free at the moment, I got it through the Stanza app for free and i've noticed a few websites mention that its free. Definately going to buy the other books though

edit2: Yeah I was right, it is available free in pretty much all formats PDF here
                        If anyone wants a copy of this drop me a PM as i bought 2 by accident, only a few quid each. Sort me out for the postage and its yours gentelmen

Comment

Just finished reading "The Night Gardener" by George Pelecanos. Got two books on the go now. Selby Jr's Last Exit To Brooklyn and The Corner by David Simon and Ed Burns. It is written like a novel, you have to keep reminding yourself that everything being described actually happened to real people. I would recommend that everyone read both of Simon's astonishing books right away.

Comment

I'm reading Stone Junction by Jim Dodge. I like it because you never quite know where its going to go next.

Comment

'The War of Art: Breaking Through the Blocks and Win Your Inner Creative Battles' showed up on my door mat 3 hours ago and I've just finished it.

Self help book for writers/artists etc that was recommend on another forum.

Excellent read. He goes a bit loopy towards the end but brings it back in the end. A good kick in the pants that I've been looking for recently.

Comment

The Shining by Stephen King. Not read it before (but seen the movie) and thoroughly enjoying it so far.

Comment

Working...
                                X