What are you reading now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just finished Watchmen.

The ideas and thought that have gone into that work is incredible. So many important subjects distilled into an interesting tale of superheroes.

You have got nuclear war, gay and lesbian rights, vigilanties and the public's distrust of them, omniscience and omnipotence - leading on to a vivisection through life and human interaction, good vs evil and the unwavering quest to do what is right leading to a characters death, world war, rape / lies and consequences, an overarching villian who idolises Alexander the Great to the extent that he takes the analogy of cutting the knot and incorporates it into his "unique" brand of utilitarianism - killing to end world war - how much effort is needed to achieve your goals, impotence, love, betrayal, nuclear physics, comic book interaction with real life, dark deeds transforming heroes into villains, grey morality, I could go on but I think the place might be the Watchmen thread!

So in summary - amazing. If you haven't had the pleasure, please do so before you see the film.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsThere View Post
      Just finished Watchmen.
      If you haven't had the pleasure, please do so before you see the film.
      Is this only available in graphic novel as i have just been looking for it so i can read it before the movie comes out? I have heard the story is brilliant.

Comment

For english:

Pride and prejudice - meh
        Persuasion - groan!
        sophies world -
        solitaire mystery - pretty good

Outside of english:
        Resident evil (can't remember the subtitle, the one based on the first game)

Comment

Sepulchre - yet another by James Herbert.

Comment

Dan Abnett - The Gaunt's Ghosts Omnibus 1

About halfway through the second book at the moment.

Comment

I'm knee deep in Walking Dead comics. Bought the first graphic novel, and immediately ordered the next 5. 6 issues per book. Going to finish off number 2 in a mo, but not got no. 3 through yet :S

Comment

Originally posted by DavidFallows View Post
                Sepulchre - yet another by James Herbert.
                That was a decent story. About some strange devil lad who can predict where stuff is if i remember right. Doesn't he find oil for a company and live in a bunker underground and some ex-military bloke has to investigate him? The Odd Thomas series are good by Herbert as is The Spear.

Just finished "Wrath of a mad god" by Raymond Feist to finish the latest in a 3 book trilogy. Not bad. The series though has gone downhill since the initial Magician series and it needs a rest.

Comment

Yeah I read The Spear, it was good but got a bit extreme towards the end.

Comment

IT. Again. I do love that book......

Comment

I'm reading the Riftware saga by Raymond E Feist. I'm a very slow reader (in that I only find time to read about a chapter\20 pages a day, if that) so the saga has been going since August last year.

Although the first book, The Magician, seems to be the most celebrated, I actually prefered the sequel, Silverthorn. The first had a fantastic buildup and some wonderful character development, but I felt the latter parts of the story fell a bit flat. The sequel was much less ambitious but had terrific pacing throughout. In both cases I prefer them to Lord of the Rings though, because Fiest knows when to call a spade a spade and just get on with it.
                      I'm about half way through the final book now (A Darkness at Sethanon) and it continues to follow the most interesting characters from Silverthorn, so all is good.

Don't you just hate it when you finish a good series?

Comment

Originally posted by PeteJ View Post
                        I'm reading the Riftware saga by Raymond E Feist. I'm a very slow reader (in that I only find time to read about a chapter\20 pages a day, if that) so the saga has been going since August last year.

Although the first book, The Magician, seems to be the most celebrated, I actually prefered the sequel, Silverthorn. The first had a fantastic buildup and some wonderful character development, but I felt the latter parts of the story fell a bit flat. The sequel was much less ambitious but had terrific pacing throughout. In both cases I prefer them to Lord of the Rings though, because Fiest knows when to call a spade a spade and just get on with it.
                        I'm about half way through the final book now (A Darkness at Sethanon) and it continues to follow the most interesting characters from Silverthorn, so all is good.

Don't you just hate it when you finish a good series?
                        It doesn't end there mate.

After that there is: Prince of the Blood and The Kings Buccaneer, then the Serpent War Saga which is 4 or 5 books, all very good.

Go here mate, the entire series in full. Hope you have plenty of time

Also the Empire trilogy is excellent (based in kelewan) and i agree with you that the Riftware saga is much better than the LoTR trilogy. I found tolkeins books incredibly boring but strangely, i thought The Hobbit was fantastic.

Comment

Ooooh.....Feist. As mentioned, despite my love for LOTR, the Riftwar........Last one was brilliant. The sheer display of power from Pug.........Nakor.......

Anyone want an Orange ?

Comment

I had heard the Empire trilogy was pretty poor, I have the first book though. Also have Prince of the Blood somewhere but not sure what that is like! Didn't realise there were so many other spinoffs to be honest.

Comment

Originally posted by NemesiS View Post
                              Is this only available in graphic novel as i have just been looking for it so i can read it before the movie comes out? I have heard the story is brilliant.
                              It is mate but is readily available in HMV in preparation for the movie no doubt.

Comment

Finished Run For Your Life by James Patterson & Michael Ledwidge in a record two days & found it to be superb. Now reading The Associate by John Grisham, which is a return to what I really enjoyed about his early books.

Comment

Working...
                                X