No announcement yet.

What are you reading now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

King's early stuff is great. Shame he has gone downhill now. Imo anyway.

Just finished a book called The Damage Done by Warren Fellows. Its a true story written by himself following his arrest for drug smuggling in Thailand and subsequent imprisonment into the Bangkok Hilton.

It follows his experiences of being incarcerated there and it is horrific what he goes through, but a really good read and a real eye opener.

Nothing like Mr Nice by Howard Marks

Comment

Just read Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. I enjoyed it even though it was a bit lightweight. Just started Belching out the Devil by Mark Thomas, even if only 1% of what he says is true about Coca Cola then I will never be drinking it again. This book makes me so glad I don't have to live in a country like Colombia.

Comment

I've just gotten through reading The Watchmen followed by the Dark Knight returns, which are the first graphic novels I've ever read. I enjoyed them both, preferred The Watchmen though. The panel where Rorscach gets ... I feel daft spoilering a 25 year old book...

vaporised

, will stay with me forever I think.

Not sure what to read next. I usually read horror, but I fancy something different. Commuting up to London next week so I will have plenty of time to kill.

Comment

Get yourself some Walking Dead graphic novels. I always liked comics but this series got me right into adult themed graphic novels. It;s an end of the world scenario, with Zombies. So awesome - I bought all 9 in the space of a month!

Comment

I might be a little limited in the short term, as I have no debit card (See CC fraud thread. ) and I don't want to load up my credit card over the next few days. I think I'll just see what they have at my local Asda.

Comment

When I was younger I definitely preferred Dark Knight Returns to Watchmen, but I was a bit too young for the themes in Watchmen, I think.

I need to purchase The Dark Phoenix Saga again as someone stole my old copy, not similar at all to the above mentioned series but my favourite comic book of all time.

Comment

Reading two: The Man With The Golden Arm by Nelson Algren and a Sid Waddell book of darts anecdotes. Eclect-astic.

Comment

Originally posted by NemesiS View Post
                  King's early stuff is great. Shame he has gone downhill now. Imo anyway.

Just finished a book called The Damage Done by Warren Fellows. Its a true story written by himself following his arrest for drug smuggling in Thailand and subsequent imprisonment into the Bangkok Hilton.

It follows his experiences of being incarcerated there and it is horrific what he goes through, but a really good read and a real eye opener.

Nothing like Mr Nice by Howard Marks

Homie I have read this. The scene with the cockroaches (you know the one) is horrifying.

Comment

After reading Halo: The Fall of Reach, Halo: The Flood, and Halo: First Strike recently, I'm now reading Halo: Ghosts of Onyx and I've enjoyed all of them.

I've got Halo: Contact Harvest and The Halo Graphic Novel on the way and am waiting for the Halo Uprising hardcover to be released, featuring all four separate editions, and a cheap Halo: The Cole Protocol to show up somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by shinobi7000 View Post
                      When I was younger I definitely preferred Dark Knight Returns to Watchmen, but I was a bit too young for the themes in Watchmen, I think.
                      I think I prefer the pace of Watchmen, and the breadth of characters in there. Dark Knight Returns is utterly chaotic, both in storyline and presentation, and it was a little much for me to continue to break my graphic novel cherry with.

I also really like the silent panels on Watchmen, the way the characters would react to certain things said, the expressions on their faces. I think it's a much more subtle book, which appealed to me more.

Comment

Chaotic is a good way to describe Dark Knight Returns, I guess. I remember how much hype it got in the 80s when I was a young lad...

Would love to get back into comics but they've changed too much. I went off them in the mid 80s when the 20 alternate covers thing became all the rage.

Would love to buy some of the classic Frank Miller Daredevil stories, though...

Comment

I'm about a hundred pages into A Madness of Angels by Kate Griffin & absolutely loving it.

Comment

Just finished the autobiography of Nevill Staple (of The Specials and if you like, Fun Boy 3). It's called "Original Rude Boy: From Borstal to the Specials - A Life in Crime and Music".

Well it does what it says on the tin. A hard upbringing in the racist midlands of the 60's and 70's for a Jamaican raggamuffin produces a burglar who's also got a violent mean streak (though not during the burglaries I must add).

I enjoyed it a lot, as he's open and honest about his deeds and attitude to life. I found it poor show, that he felt little or no remorse for those he robbed (in their own homes), whilst he apologises for letting down his violent father with his criminal deeds, and then the mother of hist first child, for all his infidelity.

A good foil for Horace Panter's Ska'd For Life, which gives a thoroughly middle-class and meticulous analysis of Horace's life in The Specials.

Comment

Originally posted by MJ View Post
                              and a cheap Halo: The Cole Protocol to show up somewhere.
                              The cheaper the better my friend. I put it down after about the first 5th of it.

It is really poorly written and the Spartans don't really fit with the ethos or background of the Halo universe.

On a similar note, I am really enjoying the Gears of War Aspho Field novel.

It has as much depth as the games but is good if you are a fan of the Gears universe.

Comment

I'm working my way through the various bond novels having picked up the box set cheaply some time ago. Just finished Diamonds are Forever. Really enjoying the books so far and seeing how they compare to the movies is interesting.

Comment

Working...
                                X