Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I feel the same with one in nursery, one in reception and their baby sister just turning one a few weeks back. The school and nursery they attend is brand new with a total of only 60 attending at full capacity but I still don't see why we should risk it just to let the economy get a kick start.

I get that people are losing their jobs and things are bad for a lot of families but throwing out vague "options" at people based off a calculation days to me the government are happy to play what-ifs with people's safety as long as the hospitals aren't full.

They basically want some of us to die and are rolling the dice for the sake of the economy. It's not far off Trump levels of idiocy just wrapped up in a smidge more eloquent dialogue.

Comment

A smidge is generous.

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
        Living in Monaco...which part of the UK is that again?
        Next to Switzerland the UK isle with the bank accounts.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
          https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...rimary-schools
          Children returning to school in June would be kept in classes of no more than 15, not allowed to mingle between classes but wihtin their own could ignore social distancing rules. Parents will be strongly pushed to return their kids but local authorities cannot enforce attendance. Quite how schools are supposed to run so many classes if everyone sends their kid back is a fun question. Teaching unions remain annoyed.
          If only. How are they planning to do that? Will the kids attend on alternate days?

Comment

Originally posted by gunrock View Post
            By the way, Boris and his buffoons have carried on during this pandemic, it has confirmed my belief that humans will be sleepwalking their way through to the end in the last days of humanity, in utter denial. Whoever's in charge will be screaming about fake news, the British workforce being whingeing shirkers and to "Think of the economy!", whilst the airlines fly their planes overhead, burning the last of the breathable air to mix with the last remaining fossil fuel in one last gasp to provide a dividend to their shareholders.... whilst folks will be tweeting about how they can't get an Egg McMuffin at 10:32am because McDonalds don't sell them anymore in favour of eco-McRusks made from recycled pensioners depressing
            I'm ashamed to admit I started thinking like this over a decade ago, not boasting about cynicism or fatalism as I feel that way again right now. It's best to block out these thoughts and focus on anything better in our personal lives, whatever we are lucky to have. With some people it's family, some their partner, work, hobbies, anything.
            Last edited by monel; 13-05-2020, 00:40.

Comment

On the day that Sunak is expected to announce Furlough support is extended till September but at 60% of pay, a think tank has warned that unless it's September at 80% the country can expect to see sharp levels of layoffs.

Comment

Staged reopening from a fortnight from now but furlough support extended all the way until at least the end of October... hmm...

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                  Again, where does it say that's happening? The article says that the government is looking at how it will be winding back the furlough scheme - there's nothing in there that says the details of how this will be done has been finalised, with percentanges and time frames.

I'm all for holding the government to account, but stating the government is causing a cliff edge on redundancies while saying the government is claiming it's not, is mystical speculation at this point without knowing the actual details of how it's going to be done.
                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^

And now we have details rather than speculation.

Comment

*Steffi pats himself on back *

Comment

Furlough until October at 80% but with businesses expected to "contribute" from August.

I can't see me going back too soon. Our business (well, the team I'm in anyway) continues to perform well (everywhere else is shut so we've a bit of a captive market) but it only makes up 10% of the whole business so not enough to justify having all eleven of the team in. Coupled to that the risk of visiting multiple sites in a day.

Comment

Staggered layoffs it is then!

Comment

Furloughing till October must mean the Government is starting the early prep work for readying the public to the idea of social distancing rules etc being in place into 2021. Balances the rate of change in circumstances too in keeping the NHS from being too stretched and Universal Credit from being drowned in applications in one go.

Comment

Unions have told teachers and support staff not to engage with plans for a 01 June school reopening

Comment

"Internal Treasury documents reveal tax rise plans to pay for expected economic hitOfficials discussing:- raising income tax, VAT, national insurance- freezing public sector pay for 2 years- scrapping pensions triple lock"

Quote Twe"
                              Last edited by Neon Ignition; 12-05-2020, 22:20.

Comment

Freezing public sector pay? Oh well, the nurses can pay the rent with clapping I guess.

Comment

Working...
                                X