No announcement yet.

United Kingdom VI: Summer Lovin'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got to hope inflation rates don't hit 19% like in the early 90s.

Comment

Mortgage rates are low just now which is a bonus but if they get back to 19% I’ll need to sell my body!

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
        It is kind of mad to think that there are people in government who have decided that the most important role you can play for the country in the midst of a serious pandemic is to buy a sandwich. You can do your job at home? Not good enough. Go buy a sandwich, mate. Need to stay safe? Nope, buy a sandwich. But the second waSANDWICH! There will be someone alive today, someone healthy, who in a few months time will be dead because they did what they were told and went out to work and bought that sandwich.
        It really is pathetic that a once industrious nation is heavily reliant on sandwich and coffee shops so that people have a couple of hundred quid a week to pay rent and buy clothes in Primark. It was always a house of cards that should have fallen years ago when broadband appeared.

In Cardiff, there are brand new offices going up in the centre of town. All of the people due to move into them are currently happily working at home. This is quite a turn of events.

Comment

Whilst the Government continues to insist it's safe to get back to normal they also say we may need... a... second lockdown soon

Comment

Actually not a second lockdown, you'll notice, but "very extensive measures". That tweak will make the world of difference to how people take it (in the hive mind of the government message machine, at least).

Comment

Might be worth giving Trafalgar Square a swerve today...

Comment

That's what happens when a species removes natural selection from itself

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                  Might be worth giving Trafalgar Square a swerve today...
                  Charlie Uniform November Tango.

Comment

Protesting this "second wave business". Do viruses tend to listen to the complaints of well-heeled English ladies like Mrs. Poulton here? I can only imagine they must!

Comment

Time to start The Purge?

edit: oops, the swear filter doesn't work on embedded tweets. Of course.

Originally posted by me, paraphrasing
                      What if the groups who want the lockdown back are organising the anti-lockdown protests to spread the virus and cause another lockdown!
                      Fake conspiracy theories. Also, I doubt there is anyone who actually wants lockdowns to happen.
                      Last edited by kryss; 29-08-2020, 16:13.

Comment

Rivals plan Fox News-style opinionated TV station in UK

One group is promising a news channel “distinctly different from the out-of-touch incumbents” and has already been awarded a licence to broadcast by the media regulator, Ofcom, under the name “GB News”. Its founder has said the BBC is a “disgrace” that “is bad for Britain on so many levels” and “needs to be broken up”.
                        Cool, brill, this is just what we need.

Comment

MPs scold Johnson as a new poll suggests that the Tories have obliterated their lead over Labour in just 5 months

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                            https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-in-shock-poll
                            MPs scold Johnson as a new poll suggests that the Tories have obliterated their lead over Labour in just 5 months
                            Stating the obvious, but given the fact that the next General Election isn't until 2024 (there won't even be any local by-elections between now and then, unless I'm mistaken) and the fact that Labour totally sh1tted the bed in 2016 and last year despite the Tory government being there for the taking, this polling is currently worthless, no?

Comment

In essence it probably is worthless but I'd imagine for any Tory MP who fancies themselves as his eventual successor they'd quickly be livid if they thought they might lose their only shot at PM because of his bad leadership now

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                                In essence it probably is worthless but I'd imagine for any Tory MP who fancies themselves as his eventual successor they'd quickly be livid if they thought they might lose their only shot at PM because of his bad leadership now
                                Perhaps...but then the succession angle is redundant if, as rumoured, the Tory powers-that-be move to replace Boris with, say, Rishi Sunak in time for the 2024 GE if things get worse, no?

Comment

Working...
                                X