No announcement yet.

United Kingdom VI: Summer Lovin'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depends, such succession plans often rest more on what some figures want to see happen rather than what the public wants. Unless there's a huge change I can't see Sunak being an easy sell to the public, especially with a few more months of being the Tory Face of Redundancy

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
      Depends, such succession plans often rest more on what some figures want to see happen rather than what the public wants.
      Well, this is obvious - hence why I said "Tory powers-that-be".

Obviously, the 1922 Committee will move and shake things up within the party if/as/when they feel they need to, just like they did in forcing Theresa May out.

Originally posted by Neon Ignition
      Unless there's a huge change I can't see Sunak being an easy sell to the public, especially with a few more months of being the Tory Face of Redundancy
      I think that, given what we've seen in the political landscape over the last four years, the Tories might not need much to present Sunak as electable if he were to be replacing Boris as party leader/PM, regardless of what is going on with the economy.

Again, the Tories were there for the taking in the last two elections and yet the opposition couldn't remove them.

Comment

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
        Rivals plan Fox News-style opinionated TV station in UK

Cool, brill, this is just what we need.
        Have you ever watched Fox News? We absolutely do not need that kind of conspiracy led inacurate news broadcasting.

We already have access to professional news channel if you don't want to watch the BBC and that's https://www.aljazeera.com/ - a Fox News equivalent is the final straw in the dumbing down of the masses.

Edit - Meanwhile, highest daily numbers since May 31st.

Last edited by MartyG; 30-08-2020, 15:46.

Comment

We are quickly becoming as stupid as America.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
            Have you ever watched Fox News? We absolutely do not need that kind of conspiracy led inacurate news broadcasting.

We already have access to professional news channel if you don't want to watch the BBC and that's https://www.aljazeera.com/ - a Fox News equivalent is the final straw in the dumbing down of the masses.

Edit - Meanwhile, highest daily numbers since May 31st.

I was being sarcastic. I'm fully aware of how terrible Fox News is and I've contacted Ofcom for all the good it will do.

Comment

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
              I was being sarcastic. I'm fully aware of how terrible Fox News is and I've contacted Ofcom for all the good it will do.
              With a lack of sarcasm smilie it's hard to tell as there are those that would be happy to see the death of the BBC.

Comment

With a lack of sarcasm smilie it's hard to tell as there are those that would be happy to see the death of the BBC.
                Aye, very true sadly,

Comment

1,715 feels like those heatwave beach numbers are beginning to come home to roost, especially when Sundays/Mondays tend to trend to lower figures. By next weekend, just as school have opened, the firing pistol on Wave 2 looks like it might finally be pulled.

Comment

In its current guise it’s of no value to me. I don’t want it dead but I do want it to go back to living up to its reputation. I also want the license fee to only apply to bbc, not tv in general and I want to WANT to pay that license fee. I certainly don’t want this new channel by the sound of it!

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                      In its current guise it’s of no value to me. I don’t want it dead but I do want it to go back to living up to its reputation. I also want the license fee to only apply to bbc, not tv in general and I want to WANT to pay that license fee. I certainly don’t want this new channel by the sound of it!
                      Pretty much nails it imo, and I say that as a consumer of a fair bit of its digital output like some of its websites and podcasts.

There is A LOT wrong with the modern-day BBC in many, many aspects (not just news) but I would rather see genuine attempts to improve it.

A UK equivalent of FOX News really, really isn't the answer.

Comment

Overall summary of the respiratory viruses in circulation within the UK

1,406 from a Sunday, that is bad. Very bad. It's been in the ballpark of 800 on every Monday update this month till now.

Comment

The BBC has looked into whether replacing the license fee with an income tax would be viable though it's expected to be a hard sell. No surprise there as that's like doubling down on a mindset that ignores changing public habits and mindset.

Comment

Product placement. It's not hard.

Comment

The Alberta provincial government silently changed physical distancing requirements in schools on the sunday before kids go back. Another awesome sneak attack.

Comment

My kid is back to school today. Expecting covid in a week or two.

Comment

Working...
                                X