This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by marcus
    Losing 1-0 - it was so obviously coming. This Maccabi team are no mugs, I think they will knock Liverpool out.
    See. I'm going to have to bring this quote up after the next leg if we progress.

Comment

Pennant and Bellamy were great tonight. Something to look forward to. Made up for Gonzalez.

Comment

Originally posted by Concept
        See. I'm going to have to bring this quote up after the next leg if we progress.
        When you won the Euro Cup last time, each round I said they were going to lose. Im a good omen for you.

Comment

Not a bad overall performance by Liverpool, that second goal should make all the difference, but as Marcus says, This Maccabi team are no mugs and they'll be well up for the second leg, good performances by the new boys, Bellamy is looking a bargain

Comment

There seems to be a problem playing Gerrard, Alonso and Sissoko in the same midfield, there were more questions than answers that came out of last night. Bellamy had a tendency to take the ball out wide which isn't what he's there for, I think he needs a 'foil' Crouch being the obvious candidate.

Defence looked a little rusty, Riise & Finnan in particular, Finnan also needs to work on communicating with Pennant (who seemed to lack some positional sense also but whipped in some nice crosses) but its still early doors.

Well done to Haifa though they were far from the pushovers a lot of people seemed to expect, made up for Bellamy & Gonzalez, Garcia looked good too.

Comment

I think Finnan and Pennant could make a good partnership down that side, when they clicked it looked pretty devastating. And with Crouch and Bellamy up front, all those crosses are going to net some goals for sure.

Comment

It was an OK performance for the first day back at school.

Pennant looked very good. He seems more intelligent than I thought he would be, before Crouch came on he wasn't just crossing everything high into the box - he was trying to cut the ball back low, or trying to play Finnan in on the overlap etc. it didn't all come off but at least it shows he is more than a aimless crosser. When Crouch came on the crosses he did put in were pretty good - unfortunately Peter seems to let the ball head him rather than the other way 'round.

Good for Bellamy to score in his first proper game, lots of potential pressure off his back.

Comment

Gonzalez put in a cross just before his goal that was perfect - just need a striker who can actually attack crosses (like Morientes in his prime ).

Really hope the rumours of an improved bid for Kuyt is true - he will score/setup a hatful if we get him

Comment

I thought Pennant had a great game. Always looking to get forward, but not afraid to look up and play a simple ball to feet. I was very impressed with his control, awareness and movement.

BTW, testing testing, add your name to the list in the What's your team? thread. We're pwning it already, but some more names never hurt.

Comment

Looks like we have secured Mr Dirk Kuyt. What yers reckon?

Never really seen him in action, wasn't up to much in the World Cup and last night, but his record at Feyenoord is impressive. In Rafa I trust tho.

Comment

Oh dear.

The bad:

Piss poor first half - Zenden, Kromkamp & Hyypia were spectacularly poor. Gerrard and Sissoko weren't much better.
                        Reina kept putting Kromkamp in all kinds of bother with big, high kicks right over to the touch line. Zidane would have struggled to bring some of them down.
                        Playing the long ball up to two midgets is not a good game plan.
                        Tuesday is important but Luis, Alonso & Finnan (was Finnan fit?) are too important to be left out of the squad and Pennant and Gonzalez should both have started.
                        Wanker on 606 phone in saying we've already lost the title.

The good (or the OK-ish):

When Aurelio switched to left back and Gonzalez left wing they both looked pretty decent and actually made an attempt to play the ball below head hight. Aurelio hits a mean dead ball.
                        Agger looked pretty decent, carried the ball out of defence rather than cracking it up into the air to nobody.
                        Fowler looked quite lean and when he received it to feet rather than chasing the ball around he linked up quite well with Gerrard & Bellamy.
                        The Gods smiled on us and gave a seriously dodgy looking pen (which was nicely taken). I was 7 rows from the front, right behind the LHS of the goal and I wouldn't have given it.

Sheffield United worked hard (much harder than we did) but they are an awful side. Even playing as bad as we did it still should've been 3 or 4 - 1.
                        Last edited by SharkSkin-Man; 19-08-2006, 20:01.

Comment

Today's problems stemmed from changing too much too soon. Only 4 regulars from last season finished today's match. I didn't like our starting lineup either. If you're not playing Alonso then put Gerrard centre and play Pennant on the right, that's what he was bought for surely?! I'd much prefer that than playing Zenden who doesn't really impress me much to be honest. What are his best attributes anyway? He doesn't seem that much of a dribbler, his passing is unspectacular and he never looks like scoring.

That said it was pretty obvious we were saving ourselves for Tuesday. Losing 2 points today is nothing compared to the financial loss of not qualifying for the Champions League, let's hope we'll see a performance then that'll kick start our season and forget today happened.

Comment

Thanks for the match report SSM, looking forward to seeing the game on MOTD.

Bit irrelevant, but LFC haven't got a 3pm kick-off game until 14th October !!

Comment

I disagree, Liverpool will know that losing points like today will be extremely costly if they are serious about a title challenge. I dont think for one minute they were saving themselves for anything, they were simply not on their game today and already have dropped valuable points.

Comment

Originally posted by marcus
                                I dont think for one minute they were saving themselves for anything,
                                You seriously don't think the game on Tuesday, potentially worth millions and millions of pounds to the club, had anything to with him resting key players?
                                Seeing as the club will have budgeted around CL football (and have already spent the money) it makes the game absolutely huge.

Comment

Working...
                                X