X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who do you want in Smurfy lad?

Comment

He's praying for 'arry, obviously

Will anyone ever get the chance to build a team at Chelsea though? Ancelotti did the double last year, but he's gone as soon as the performance levels have dropped, zero chance to show he can put things right, not even that double was enough to buy him a bit of time. Unless you win the league every single season it seems likely that Abramovich will start getting itchy to start filling in another P45.

Comment

As I said before, worst run of results for over 20 years. Few chairment would stick with someone through a run that bad. Abramovich gave him a trial with how he'd spend, yes Torres was probably the owner but Luiz was his. As good as Luiz has been, he hasn't really changed the fact we lost points from falling asleep in the penalty area.

In terms of who I'd like... I'd like someone with a bit of spice to them. We need someone who makes the team want to do well. Too many players got into a slump this season and never got their drive back, Malouda and Drogba being the biggest examples but there were other players showing minor signs of either not caring or wondering what they were doing. Discipline in defence and drive up front, both things we lacked this season. I'll probably have a look at who the bookies are mooting tomorrow.

I suspect the list the bookies give out will be Hiddink, Rikjaard, Mourinho and Zola but I don't think any of those are realistic (although Zola could come as an assistant, something that would be very good). He'll probably go after another European cup winner which would be a mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post
          As I said before, worst run of results for over 20 years. Few chairment would stick with someone through a run that bad.
          Bruce has survived two such runs. Talking of which, you surely have him on your shortlist?

Comment

Van Basten has crept to the top of the betting odds, not sure if that's more down to everyone betting on him or the validity of the rumours about him. He's been linked to Chelsea for a while though.

Dunno what to think about him, don't know much about him from a managerial PoV, his record as a manager isn't especially stunning (at least compared to his player career) but then we've gone through a couple of managers who had shining records only to prove to be one trick ponies (in the case of Scolari, a no trick pony)

Comment

Smurf, I agree with all you've written about the situation.

Ancelotti is a good manager, but he definitely lacked passion, and he made some stupid decisions. Chelsea could have easily won the league if the manager had been more sensible.

I like Hiddink, but he is a bit old for the long-term. I think Mourinho would sort things out. Wilkins should come back, as players like him.

Comment

We had a bid of 22Mill for Modric turned down. Didn't predict we'd go for him although I can see why we did.

Also seems we've had some interest in Alex. Still not sure we've got enough cover to afford letting him go.

Comment

Hmm, not a name many people were linking with the job, what do you chaps reckon?

Porto coach Andre Villas-Boas is poised to join Chelsea, BBC Sport understands.

Comment

The name's come up but there were lots of managers who were thought to be much more likely (probably on the basis of their respective histories).

Makes sense though, a manager with lots of experience in building squads going to a team that needs to replace 4 or so key players over the next couple of seasons. Just hope he has a bit of passion.

Comment

Interesting choice. It can go one of two ways. Are Chelsea looking to build long term now; get a manager in for 20 years, run the club, build them up to a powerhouse. Or are they simply hiring him because he was one of the two managers to have success in Europe last season.

Let's be honest, it's probably the latter

Comment

I dunno, he's certainly got more than just his record at Porto to suggest he's a good manager. He did a lot of good work alongside Mourinho.

The tactical brilliance of Mourinho minus the baggage is a pretty enticing prospect.

Still think Hiddink will come as a director of football too.

Comment

As a Porto fan, I feel gutted for having lost Villas-Boas, despite the 'comfort' of cashing 15 million euros in the process. I'm sure he'll be successful at Chelsea, although maybe not in his first year. After all, expectations are set much too high and he'll have to deal with some giant-sized egos over there. He also won't have Porto's structure and organization to back him up. Luckily for us, money can't yet buy everything...

Stay well away from our players!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt View Post
                            Interesting choice. It can go one of two ways. Are Chelsea looking to build long term now; get a manager in for 20 years, run the club, build them up to a powerhouse. Or are they simply hiring him because he was one of the two managers to have success in Europe last season.

Let's be honest, it's probably the latter
                            Agreed.

He'll most likely be fired at the end of next season if he hasn't won anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Deuteros View Post
                              As a Porto fan, I feel gutted for having lost Villas-Boas, despite the 'comfort' of cashing 15 million euros in the process. I'm sure he'll be successful at Chelsea, although maybe not in his first year. After all, expectations are set much too high and he'll have to deal with some giant-sized egos over there. He also won't have Porto's structure and organization to back him up. Luckily for us, money can't yet buy everything...

Stay well away from our players!
                              If hes not sucsessful in his first year then he will be fired, thats what they do at chelsea these days.

Comment

The rule with Chelsea seems to be: win the Premier League (minimum requirement) and you'll get another season to win the Champions League.

Slur Alex actually called it pretty spot on when he said Chelsea are obsessed with the Champions League. More accurately he should have said Abramovich is. Good luck to them if that's what most important (is it the revenue, or does Roman just like the spectacle?), but personally I hope they never win it simply because their policy in transfers and managerial appointments - purely to bolster any advantage in winning the CL - stinks.

Comment

Working...
                                X