No announcement yet.

Chelsea Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My point was that the article is probably correct to describe it as a shock victory. Nobody expected either side to get such a convincing win and when something unexpected happens, it's not uncommon for it to be described as a shock.

At no point in the article does it suggest the win was unexpected because Chelsea are crap, or that they were lucky, or that they didn't deserve it. It's basically just a long list of quotes from Hiddink and Benitez. You're looking for something that isn't there. Seriously, quote something from that article that puts down Chelsea!

Comment

You shouldnt be looking at crappy internet articles right now smurfy..you should be buzzing ya little tits of mate as i thought your lot bar the first 10 mins were AWESOMEEEEEE!!!...and totaly agree under Hiddink you lot have been superb.

G.

Comment

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post
        Just compare it to Liverpool's win over Man U to see a clear example of the differences in the way it's been covered. Would you have seen an article like that if they situation had been reversed? Not a chance.

I will admit the game was surprising in that they've been historically dull and low scoring but the article suggests it's a shock Chelsea victory, not that it was shocking the game was entertaining.

Of course Hiddink wasn't expecting a win like that, would require a fairly huge ego to say you were. It's just everything about the article seems to go out to underplay Chelsea's acheivement.
        But Liverpool were going into the Man Utd game having given Madrid a spanking in the champions league and they were going into last night's game on the back of some great results (scoring 14 goals in their last 4 games I make it). So if the situation was reversed I would have expected articles to read "Liverpool's impressive form continues" etc...

Also I think they were taking into account the league games against Liverpool. I think they would have been favourites to progress before last night's game.

Comment

From 4-0 to 4-3 with 10 mins left... If we throw this away...

Comment

Unbelievable!!! I'd given up all hope at 4-0 then got a text off a mate saying 4-3!!!

Comment

apparently we were truly awful once we hit 4-0, became so laid back we were lying down. With luck it's given up a kick up the arse for wednesday.

Comment

Apparently Bolton had a shot cleared off the line in the final seconds.

AMAZING SCENES!

Comment

From 4-0 to 4-3 with 10 mins left... If we throw this away...
                  Would have been such a laugh for any non-Chelsea fans had you done so, still, goal difference at the top is so close it could easily be a deciding factor in six weeks time, whether it be between first and second or second and third...

Comment

Originally posted by C' View Post
                    Apparently Bolton had a shot cleared off the line in the final seconds.

AMAZING SCENES!
                    And the penalty wasn't. But then a small club at the bridge isn't going to get any decisions go their way.

Comment

erm....Anelka had a shot cleared off the line too....so evens there

Comment

Originally posted by Spooky Mulder View Post
                        erm....Anelka had a shot cleared off the line too....so evens there
                        Cahill had his cleared in injury time so I'm 1up again

Comment

euch after the weekend, Liverpool will come into this game confident. Still at least it means they'll have to come out and attack which'll make for a more interesting game. Only trouble is a goal by Chelsea doesn't really change anything. Getting 3 goals past us is a big ask mind.

Gerrard has gotten over his injury I notice... I'm sure he/the club wasn't making excuses for him being taken completely out of the game by Essien and pretending he was forced out over the weekend and they weren't just resting him. If he has a good game it's "you see! This is him at full fitness!!!!", if he has a bad game it's "oh he was still feeling the injury...". Rubbish, you don't risk a key player carrying a major injury in a big game, especially as he's needed for the league.

Comment

Gerrard has gotten over his injury I notice... I'm sure he/the club wasn't making excuses for him being taken completely out of the game by Essien and pretending he was forced out over the weekend and they weren't just resting him. If he has a good game it's "you see! This is him at full fitness!!!!", if he has a bad game it's "oh he was still feeling the injury...".
                            The usual abigsmurf Steven Gerrard chip-on-shoulder rant, I see. Anyhoo...

Most media everywhere that I've read and heard have acknowledged that Essien absolutely dominated Gerrard as they have that Chelsea were the better team last week overall. I haven't heard any noises coming out of Liverpool trying to make excuses for Gerrard on the night - he just had a stinker as he spent all night in the back pocket of [Essien, who is in my opinion] Chelsea's best player. Methinks you are CLEARLY reading far too much into his absence from the Blackburn match at the weekend.

As for Benitez playing Gerrard? I too find it weird but hey, this is Rafa & the Champions' League - you do the math. If things aren't going well after the first 45-60 mins, I would suspect that Gerrard (and Torres, for that matter) will be taken off as you're right - the league is what is most important now for Liverpool. Don't forget, Liverpool have no weekend fixture due to the FA Cup semis, so perhaps he can manage one half at the very least against you guys tonight before recuperating for the next week or so.

BTW, I suspect that Chelsea will set out to do a professional job on Liverpool tonight and stifle them, thus killing the match. As much I'd love it to happen, I can't see Chelsea conceding three goals for the 2nd home match running. In fact, some might suggest that John Terry's absence gives Chelsea a greater chance of keeping a clean sheet!!
                            Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 14-04-2009, 09:46.

Comment

I'm just finding it bizzarre that they were apparently concerned enough to do all these tests on him and to sit out the weekends game yet they're putting him in a game where he'll have to work his socks off and is high stakes. I can't see the justification in such an insane risk unless they've overblown the injury.

But as you've said, Benitez has made strange, incredibly costly decisions regarding the champions league in the past.

Comment

But as you've said, Benitez has made strange, incredibly costly decisions regarding the champions league in the past.
                                I didn't quite say that, but cheers for the neat spin you've put on my words.

For the record, I find nothing strange or incredibly costly about anything that Rafa has done in the Champions' League during his time as Liverpool manager - our record in the competition under him speaks for itself and long may it continue.

Comment

Working...
                                X