No announcement yet.

Worst Premier Imports?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Owen is one of the few consistant players currently at newcastle id say, so including him in this thread at all is a bit harsh... Plus hes not foiriegn anyway, i thought this was about foriegn players? or am I wrong?

If its about british players too then Derby breaking the bank to sign Robert Earnshaw must be up there with the worst signings ever... They made a big deal about him being the main man who would keep Derby in the premier league when they signed him. He scored one goal for them and they broke the record for least points ever obtained ever in the league. Makes his signing pretty damn shocking on several levels really.

Comment

Originally posted by SharkSkin-Man View Post
      Seems a bit harsh on Owen that, no?
      His goals:minutes ratio at Newcastle must be pretty tidy.
      Perhaps it is a bit harsh, when Owen's fully fit he's still a great player, and i'm a huge fan. But Newcastle haven't seen Owen at his best for a long, long time (if at all). When you look at what he had done in his career prior to coming to us and what he has done since, well let's just say i don't think we've had our £16m+ out of him, particularly as we've supposedly had him in his 'best playing years' (26-29). Not to mention the cost of his wages. Great player for sure, but great signing? Definitely not

Edit - Am aware this is a 'Foreign signing thread', just got a bit sidetracked

Comment

Originally posted by ezee ryder View Post
        Gotta mention Bruno Cheyrou aka "The new Zidane". Turned out the only thing he had in common with the great Zizou was that he looked a bit like him (oh and they were both French).
        Liverpool made a number of dubious signings around around that time for ridiculous money if i remember correctly. Igor Biscan (?5-6m), El Hadj Diouf (?10m), the aforementioned Smicer. Kewell was probably the biggest disappointment of the lot though when you consider what a player he was at Leeds

Comment

Robinho needs to stop crying and join the Chelsea squad.

Comment

Shevchenko is by no way one of the biggest flops, 22 goals over two seasons whilst not amazing, isn't awful, there have been scores of signings that performed worse (~1goal per 3 games is only slightly worse than Rooney's career average). It's just too much was spent on him (I'd say about ?10mill too much) and the press hounded him constantly.

Comment

Again side tracking, ahem, but although I was a big fan of this player, Chris Sutton to Chelsea (£10m ?) turned out abysmal, I remember him slipping twice through on goal in his first game against Sunderland, just didn't fit with what they were doing at the bridge.

Bosko Balaban? You wonder why after spening 6m or so, Gregory didn't play him at Villa, he seemed to score goals wherever he's been but didn't get a kick~?

Comment

Yep Chris Sutton was a record signing and was utterly useless for us.

Comment

Kleberson. Overrated and given way too much credit for his role in Brazil's 2002 World Cup triumph. That Brazil team weren't all that anyway. Klerberson was a flop at United.

Anderson, he is better than Kleberson.

Comment

Fernando Morientes.

At the time, he was hailed as the new Henry or Van Nistelrooy in our league - lots of hype and anticipation surrounded him given his previous credentials at Real Madrid.

Unfortunately, the fairytale ended quite quickly. I think he played in about a dozen matches and scored two or three goals in all.

He just didn't 'work' in the Premier league whereas he was a hero, a saviour, at Real Madrid since the Spanish league suited his play style better, and more effectively too.

He wasn't awful, just an all rounded disappointment.

Comment

Morientes played 50-60 times for Liverpool I think, scored 12 goals.
                      Too slow and weak for the English game and too old to learn to adapt really, fantastic technique though which we got to see a few glimpses of.

Comment

Agustin Delgado for Saints. Gilles De Bilde for Wednesday.

What about Nii Lamptey? He was a Ghana international who was meant to be the second coming of Christ. Bombed out at Villa.

Comment

Milton Nunez. A Honduran player bought for a million. One appearance for Sunderland, apparently Peter Reid Monkee Heed bought the wrong bloke.

Nicolas Medina. Bought for 3.5 mill by Monkee Heed, who called him the complete midfield player. I dunno who's midfield he was on about, because he never played in the first team. Nice one

Tore Andre Flo. 6.75 million. 29 appearances, 4 goals. Monkee Heed!

Lilian Laslandes. 3.5 million. 12 appearances, 0 goals. Monkee Heed: 'the new Niall Quinn!'

Comment

Originally posted by SharkSkin-Man View Post
                            Morientes played 50-60 times for Liverpool I think, scored 12 goals.
                            Too slow and weak for the English game and too old to learn to adapt really, fantastic technique though which we got to see a few glimpses of.
                            Aye, I remember a particularly sweet strike against Charlton at The Valley.

Not big money by any means, but Pellegrino was a scary signing - he was so slow and clumsy at the back it was unreal. Even though he was basically back-up, I'd probably rather we had played with only ten men! Seems to be doing a good job as assistant now though - Benitez clearly saw something in him beyond his performances on the pitch.

Comment

Haha!

Istvan Kozma-Souness bought him from Scotland....and another Souness classic: Torben Pieknik.

Sigh....Liverpool really have had some tosh.

Sean Dundee
                              Djimi Traore
                              Le Tallec
                              Ciisse was dreadful considering how much we paid....

A big disappointment was Litmanen-not for his performances but for the fact that Houllier never played him!

Comment

As a Liverpool fan, would you add Diouf to that list? Obviously was great for Bolton, but for Liverpool?

Comment

Working...
                                X