No announcement yet.

Champions League 2009/2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That was the finest example of football I've ever seen. I never saw the 1970 Brazil but I'd imagine they played the way Bar?a did last night. Can't believe Arsenal managed to keep the tie open but Bar?a have faltered away from home this season. They will most likely be even stronger in the second leg. Amazing game, though. I'm still stunned.

Comment

I wouldn't give them that much credit really, I think a lot of Barcelona's display was down to Arsenal playing in the wrong style. They thought they'd have the space to do their passing and that Barcelona wouldn't press too hard for a win.

The Man U and Chelsea games have shown that Arsenal can't perform under physical pressure and where Man U and Chelsea decided to let the defence be the ones to get physical, Barcelona were able to do it with their mid field hence why they could string attack after attack.
      Last edited by abigsmurf; 01-04-2010, 08:47.

Comment

Yeah if it was that good a display they would have won the game. Arsenal had many chances too which they did well to create. Sure Barca were outstanding at times but they look just a vulnerable.

Comment

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post
          I wouldn't give them that much credit really, I think a lot of Barcelona's display was down to Arsenal playing in the wrong style.
          It had nothing to do with Barcelona's ability to retain possession, then?

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
          Yeah if it was that good a display they would have won the game.
          And indeed they would have done had the referee not decided that Fabregas kicking Puyol warranted an Arsenal penalty.

Comment

But they didn't and it was a penalty. Arsenal had their chances also. Barca looked very shakey a fair few times. Sure they are outstanding but they look beatable.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
              And indeed they would have done had the referee not decided that Fabregas kicking Puyol warranted an Arsenal penalty.
              Indeed.

If I didn't know better I'd say there were some heavy "English blinkers" on. Barcelona absolutely schooled Arsenal at their own game for heavy portions of the match, and were it not for a hilariously bad decision, the game would have ended 1-2, which would have been the correct score on the basis of play.

Moreover, a team managed by the man who constantly bad mouths people for hard tackling against his players seemed to get quite a few bookings and make some rather nasty tackles themselves. Mind you, apparently only Wenger gets to say what is malicious and what is accidental.

I didn't get to see the papers today, but I'd bet they talked about the incredible Arsenal comeback and fabulous Fabregas, and not poor Puyol, who was not only robbed of a penalty but now missed the return leg.

I don't expect Arsenal to go through though, so it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme.

Ibrahimovic showed why he's rated and why he's chastised. Put away two good goals on the big stage (finally!) and missed a handful of easier chances.

One of the finest matches I've seen in ages though, absolutely wonderful to watch for the neutral.
              Last edited by Jebus; 01-04-2010, 17:58.

Comment

Actually Holland 1974 played like this, its called Total football. Which means a lot of switching, defenders who join the offensive and also lay constant pressure. Its only possible with a perfectly balanced squad that understands eachother. Ironically, Arsenal is credited for playing total football as well. But, they just have much less quality than a team like Barcelona. Its not only Messi, I think that Dani Alves is the best right back in the world at this moment, edging out Maicon. I'm extremely impressed by his performances. Xavi is awesome as well as is Iniesta when he's in.

Valdes is probably the weakest link in this squad, or Maxwell who was too slow and only passed back.

Barcelona might look beatable but with 2-2 Barcelona are still moral winners. Arsenal basically has to beat Barcelona at Camp Nou.

This score does not show the actual difference in quality, Barcelona really just forgot to score a goal or 3, 4 in the first half. They kept Arsenal alive.
                Last edited by saturn-gamer; 02-04-2010, 20:17.

Comment

Inter just won the most one sided quarter final I've ever seen. Looking forward to Arsenal Barca now. Hoping it'll be total football as a neutral!

Comment

I'm actually hoping for 80% football, 20% women's beach volleyball as a neutral.

Comment

The Sky commentary is disgustingly biased...

Comment

yep.

But then, when Chelsea played Barcelona last year they kept going about how great it'd be for there to be a 'Dream Final' (ie Chelsea to lose).

That aside, Barcelona have been bad overall and are diving all over the place. The difference between the sides is undoubtedly Messi.

Comment

Andy Gray "The noise says it all".

The silence from Andy Gray said it all.

Messi, oh my ****ing God what a player.

The amazing thing, before he shot, he looked to his right to see if he could play someone in, the intelligence...astounding.

I suppose Barcelona have been bad by their standards, but they are missing both centre backs, Iniesta, Ibrahimovic. Both teams are missing very important players.

I think Walcott has done what he always does, give hope in one match from the bench and start the next and look poor again. I feel bad for Arsenal at losing Fabregas, because he is a stunning player as well, but as I said, both teams are missing key players.

Not gonna comment on the diving other than to say, what goes around comes around.

I might sound mental here, but if Arsenal can keep the scoreline as it is, I don't think it's over. We've seen that Arsenal can score twice against Barca in 45 minutes, so although it looks over, I'm not putting any money down.
                          Last edited by Jebus; 06-04-2010, 19:31.

Comment

The boy's a bit good.

Comment

Arsenal are in danger of this being a rugby score.

Messi is damn near unplayable.

Comment

I think today will put to rest the Rooney vs Messi debates. I will say though that he really should have some more aggressive, tight marking than he's receiving.

Arsenal aren't out of it though, they 'only' need 2 goals and Barcelona haven't been astounding elsewhere.

Comment

Working...
                                X