No announcement yet.

World Cup 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I still think if Bent doesn't go then it's a disgrace. Fair enough him not being a starting 11 but if he doesn't make the final squad on being the top english goal scorer then I think it stinks of being an old boys chipper club.

Comment

Originally posted by teenagewasteland View Post
      A few injuries to key players would really give us problems.
      Not even that. Very easy to pick up two yellows and miss a game in a summer tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
        I still think if Bent doesn't go then it's a disgrace. Fair enough him not being a starting 11 but if he doesn't make the final squad on being the top english goal scorer then I think it stinks of being an old boys chipper club.
        league goals don't always equate to international class, I'd far rather see any of the other 4 strikers in ahead of Bent, even Defoe who for my money he's competing with for a spot. Crouch is way ahead of him at international level and Rooney Heskey is the starting pairing.

Think Bent is destined to be a low rent Ian Wright figure who's great in the league but not in the class to take a step up.

Comment

But by being top scorer he has earnt his place in the final squad. He might not be international class but he deserves a chance. Crouch does score for England but Defoe and Heskey are both dross.

Far too many England players are chosen because of who they are and who they play for rather than actual form.

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
            Agreed

Comment

If any of those strikers should be left behind it's Heskey, not Bent.

Comment

no way, Heskey isn't a striker but he's a must to start for me, he's a hub and the team plays around him, ask any of the England strikers in recent times who they want to play alongside it Heskey. All our recent best competitive performances have Heskey at the middle of them, surprised how many people don't see this and simply focus on Bent scores more goals than Heskey (at club level). You pick a team, not the 10 best statistical players, should the starting defence be based on goals conceded alone ?

no way I want to be in the quarter final of a world cup and seeing Bent on the pitch against a top team. I know he's a cock but should know a bit about strikers, Collymore was saying how he's utterly unconvinced by Bent as a striker of quality.

Comment

Crouch scores more goals with less pitch time.

I don't agree that the team revolve around Heskey. I agree that the team should be the best team and not always the best players, but I don't think Heskey should be undroppable.

Comment

I like Crouch, I think he's plan B, I'd start on current form with Heskey & Rooney and if that fails bring Crouch on for Heskey later.

Heskey to my mind is the reverse of a Bent/Wright type, I think he's a better international footballer than club player.

Comment

I think Bent should go, but whenever I've seen him play he looks like the kind of striker, who if they don't score themselves, give the team little/nothing else, something that would probably be accentuated at international level.
                      I quite like a bit of old fashioned number 9/goal poacher though.

Comment

I'm very concerned about the central midfield situation England finds itself in. Even with Barry we'd be in trouble. Mexico showed last night exactly what playing a good footballing team does to England. When we play a team who can actually finish we'll be in the ****.

There is nobody at all who can get the ball and dictate the pace of the game. We can barely string simple, short passing moves together.

Blood, guts, thunder. That'll get us through!

Comment

Originally posted by SharkSkin-Man View Post
                          I think Bent should go, but whenever I've seen him play he looks like the kind of striker, who if they don't score themselves, give the team little/nothing else, something that would probably be accentuated at international level.
                          I quite like a bit of old fashioned number 9/goal poacher though.
                          I think how much a player brings to the team as a whole is probably what Capello is looking at. I would guess that he could see Bent poaching a goal for himself but contributing little else to the team, while he can see Heskey doing the grunt work that sets up multiple chances for his team mates, even if he doesn't get on the score sheet himself.

I forget where I read it, but apparently the England team score more goals per match when Heskey is in the starting eleven.

I also don't think Capello would leave out a player based on how "fashionable" the club he plays for is. As an Italian I doubt that he cares very much / knows what clubs as seen as fashionable or not in the eyes of the English. I doubt he'd take kindly to any FA bigwigs sticking their noses in and suggesting what players he should leave out either.

Comment

Bent does a whole lot more than he gets credit for, week in, week out. He does a lot of the hold up work and makes all kind of intelligent runs. He does far more than that plank Jones. He's scored a phenomenal number of goals on the 13th placed team - something in the region of half the team's league goals. A player doesn't achieve that without doing all kinds of good things. For every arsehole like Collyflour who disses him, there's an established manager like Venables who rates him.

He's had f-all chances for England, with only 5 appearances, often in cretinous scenarios, like a backs-against-the-wall humpfest against Brazil, when nobody impresses, and the ball never gets beyond the halfway line. Really thankless games. He'll be given half of a game to score, otherwise he's out. He's only ever started 2 England games.

He's scored goals at the top level wherever he's been at - 73 in 166 games, including for two relatively poor teams. This season he's scored against most of the big teams.

He hasn't been given the whiff of a chance to prove what he can do in an England shirt in a decent run of games, without the Sword of Droppage hanging over his head for the precious time he gets normally. To suggest anything otherwise is just not very well researched.
                            Last edited by prinnysquad; 25-05-2010, 17:18.

Comment

I agree prinny. In fact the whole way the press and people react to everything England related.
                              The paper today was going on about how certainly sqaud players were so poor on monday. It is literally one chance to put in a 10/10 performance or as far as they are concerned you are out.
                              Also radio 5 going on about how poor Mexico are and if we can't play better against a team 'who are expected to achieve nothing in the world cup' then we have no chance.

Seriously? Mexico are a capable outfit and international Football is very competetive nowadays. The press are so ignorant of the fact every nation has it's own goals and quality football systems.

Comment

Originally posted by HumanEnergy View Post
                                I also don't think Capello would leave out a player based on how "fashionable" the club he plays for is.
                                Really? Cahill is a better defender than Upson and Lescott, yet both have been capped for England.

Bent is the second higher English goalscorer this season, yet doesn't get a minute of playing time, just like Kevin Davies didn't last season.

The stats don't add up, so what other reason is there apart from fashionable clun syndrome?

Comment

Working...
                                X