World Cup 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FreelancePolice View Post
    Terrible final but I think Spain did enough to warrant the win. Hollands physical game left a bad taste in the mouth personally.

Not a great tournament, kudos to the Germans for putting the average teams to the sword (England and Argentina) but I don't think anyone looked like real world champions. Spain peaked at the right time.
    This kind of play isn't what we desire, but it was our only option. Our squad isn't great, we had to field a 35 yr old Ooijer without club in the quarter finals for example. Van Persie who isn't a striker was our striker, Huntelaar the sub and well, does he even play at his club?

Thats our current situation. No one here expected us to get further than the final 8. If our superstar squads from the 90's (in which we could bench an Overmars, or Seedorf) had a fraction of this mentality, we would've won a freaking lot.

Comment

What a **** match.

Comment

Thank f*ck for this forum! Every other thread I read is about how Spain are a bit dull but play possession football so well and blahblahblah weren't Holland dirty?etc...

Way I saw it the Dutch had a physical game, with a good few poor/clumsy challenges, but weren't actually malicious very often. The way the Spanish were diving around and drawing the challenges was making me seeth. I was really rooting for Holland as time went on as their 'dirty tactics' were nowhere near as bad as Spains, but because so many players do it all the time the majority of fans turn a blind eye to diving and hounding the ref. I'm not even going to comment on the pundits as I didn't listen to them, but reading the other comments I know exactly how they reacted, as I'd have expected. I was so p!ssed off at the end that I turned it over immediately after the whistle, I couldn't bear to watch the Spanish players lording it over the Dutch.

The ref had a difficult match and probably couldn't really do well any way he played it, but it was a damned poor showing imo and really affected the way the game went, if there was more punishment for Spain or a bit more give and take then it could have been a very different game. The goal in particular was a joke, coming on the back of about half a dozen poor decisions in close succession. Only the Dutch will remember though, everyone else will forget and praise a wonderful Spanish side and their passing game and say how it wasn't a classic but the Spanish deserved it. Did they f*ck.

Comment

Originally posted by FreelancePolice View Post
          kudos to the Germans for putting the average teams to the sword (England and Argentina) ...
          unfortunately Spain is not among them. they should, not because they played average but because they played some sort of minimalistic football. however, Germany remains the world champion of the hearts.

Comment

Webb didn't do a good job by the way. He whistled for every damn charge. Giving yellows for the most lousy fouls, such as the 2nd yellow for Heitinga. That was bull**** as he didn't even make contact with Xavi.

Van Gaal said it on forehand, in the studio. He said that Webb would likely kill this game as Webb was quick on the cards according to him. Especially this cup. That obviously wouldn't bode well with our physical play, but better with Spain's diving. And Spain were the most sportive side in the sense that they received the least cards thus far. So Webb would be in their favor for sure.

The FIFA referee guy is a Spaniard, go figure. Most logical would be some sort of South American ref as this was an all European Final. And those South Americans usually don't punish physical play too quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Uli View Post
              unfortunately Spain is not among them. they should, not because they played average but because they played some sort of minimalistic football. however, Germany remains the world champion of the hearts.
              Germany have come out of this tournament better than almost any team I can remember. Never have I heard so many positive words spoken about a nation most people in England want to see humiliated.

I look forward to seeing them in 2012.

Comment

so where do Holland go from here? surely this is the last world cup for BOMMEL, BRONCKHORST, MATHIJSEN, OOIJER and BOULAHROUZ and perhaps a few other players come 2014. i hope the dutch have some good youth players coming through!

Comment

Mathijsen is just 30 though. He played a great tournament, was always dodgy before this. I doubt its over for him in 2014. Boula is even younger, but he's been crap on club level for ages and only here because of us not having many options.

I think that we have some young talented players. Our under 21 squads became European champions twice, that has been 3 years ago or so. Sadly quite a few players have fell through since then, such as Royston Drenthe and I absolutely can't stand Ryan Babel.

Elia and Van der Wiel will grow. Jeffry Bruma might become a good defender for the future, although I have only heard about him. Castaignos from Feyenoord is incredibly talented too. Then there is Afellay, Ron Vlaar, Stijn Schaars...

Comment

I guess we'll have a good crack at the euro's in 2012 at least! : )

Comment

I was absolutely sick of the Spanish players being 'fouled', then gesticulating at Webb with an 'invisible card' in an attempt to get the opposing player booked or sent off...yes, I'm looking at you Iniesta! I thought FIFA was going to stamp down on this!

Bah!....any way, not much chance of Spain (or any other European country, for that matter) winning the next World Cup in South America...
                      Last edited by Spooky Mulder; 11-07-2010, 22:48.

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

was this sniper shot linked to the torres hamstring time wasting injury moments later he was running up to get his medal and walking about fine ? I dont know why people are hating the Dutch so much, can you blame them with the tactics? they had a couple of good chances, i understand it was not pritty to watch but it could have payed off.
                        unlucky Holland

Comment

They may hate us what they want, those same dudes were probably totally wankin on our attractive but losing play in previous tournaments. Much like the Germans got all the sympathy during this cup, for the first time in their history.

So, Iker Casillas is the goalie of this tourney? What a joke

His first good game was yesterday, and even then Stekelenburg was the better goalie.

Agree on Forlan though, the only player who could actually play football.

Comment

Can't see much wrong with Casillas getting goalie of the tourny. He made some crucial great saves. Not just in this match but against Portugal, Paraguay, Germany etc. Don't think you can argue too much about that. He dug Spain out of trouble more times than I can remember...

Comment

It makes me wonder if the rest of the country was watching a different game to us.

It was an awful game of football and Spain conducted themselves in a disgraceful manner. Their goal shouldn't have stood. Whilst Holland did do some bad tackles, Spain should've got a red card too (retaliation, it's a straight red. Always). Should got some cards for diving too.

Comment

Pretty crap tournament, got the final it deserved really!

Comment

Working...
                                X