Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flabio View Post
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot...10/8814195.stm

There you go, it's official. Worst. England performance. Ever.
    To be fair it's only our "worst performance ever" because there were less teams in it in 1950 and 1958. We went out in the group stages in both those years which is definitely worse than reaching the second round.

Comment

Could be worse. Look at France.

Comment

lolFrance.

Comment

England's sterling performance at the World Cup in South Africa has seen them rise a place in the official world rankings. Good to see that FIFA's ranking system doesn't rely solely on irrelevences like "results" and "performances." Instead, it gives England an arbitrary place among the worlds elite where we of course belong, being far better than the likes of Spain and Germany, whom we have defeated in numerous wars. It's only a matter of time before a dismal qualifying campaign in which we concede four goals against Wales sees us take our place at the top of the tree.

England 2012!

Comment

Yup, up to 7th! Seems like we had a great World Cup after all

France are in 21st now though. Ouch!

Hmm, Egypt are 9th and they didn't even qualify for the World Cup.

Comment

That's because we had a strong qualifying campaign.

FIFA's rankings are hilarious. A few years ago the USA were number one in the world because they had won every game for the past few years (playing teams like Canada and Honduras).

Comment

Mexico play the system as well, playing an international every other day.

Comment

Originally posted by toythatkills View Post
                  England's sterling performance at the World Cup in South Africa has seen them rise a place in the official world rankings. Good to see that FIFA's ranking system doesn't rely solely on irrelevences like "results" and "performances." Instead, it gives England an arbitrary place among the worlds elite where we of course belong, being far better than the likes of Spain and Germany, whom we have defeated in numerous wars. It's only a matter of time before a dismal qualifying campaign in which we concede four goals against Wales sees us take our place at the top of the tree.

England 2012!
                  you make a great cynic!

Comment

So... does everyone think the friendly 3 days before the season starts is stupid?

I'm sure we can expect a radically overhauled team (ie he doesn't play Lampard and keeps everything else the same), a squad of players terrified of getting injured before the start of the season and 90 minutes of booing by the 'supporters'

Comment

I hope either no one turns up or the ones who do turn up hurl abuse and boo none stop.

Comment

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post
                        So... does everyone think the friendly 3 days before the season starts is stupid?
                        More FA incompetence imo . . Unless England play a Team of non-established players in the 1st Team for the whole game You'll learn nothing from it , other than there must have been better ways to fund Wembley .

Comment

Looks like Capello bottled it big time and picked all the scum who did so scandalously in the world cup.

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
                            Looks like Capello bottled it big time and picked all the scum who did so scandalously in the world cup.
                            You can't just drop 23 players and draft in 23 kids. To get the best out of the young players they need to play alongside people who are used to that kind of pressure and level and can bring them through it. However **** they were at the World Cup, they've still got a role to play in getting the next generation ready. I doubt we'll get the same starting team that failed so miserably in SA.

Comment

He has bottled it though mate, he dropped the players who didn't even take part and kept all but James and Heskey (who retired anyway) from the first eleven...if that same 11 start I think that'll be it for him in terms of fan support...of course I could never want them to lose, but to allow such ineptitude to go unpunished in this manner is a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by Jebus View Post
                                He has bottled it though mate, he dropped the players who didn't even take part and kept all but James and Heskey (who retired anyway) from the first eleven...if that same 11 start I think that'll be it for him in terms of fan support...of course I could never want them to lose, but to allow such ineptitude to go unpunished in this manner is a joke.
                                That same first eleven that breezed through qualifying? SA was an anomaly, God knows what went wrong but I don't think anyone would believe that England are genuinely as bad as they were against Algeria.

Like I said before, you need a mix of experience and young blood in the squad to get anywhere. Look at Arsenal, all kids and no fight. That'd be England without that first 11 at least around for a bit.

Not that there was much fight before, but still.

Also, Paul Robinson has just retired from international football the day after being selected

EDIT: England thread?

Comment

Working...
                                X