World Cup 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jebus View Post

Carragher? No way he should get called up out of the blue like this. The ****er didn't want to know for all that time, yet now we're in a world cup with a decent manager he's back in? Sorry, but no. More than that, he's getting slower and slower.
    I don't really want him there, because Liverpool's pre-season games are more important than the World Cup, but it's obvious why he's in the squad.
    He's had extended spells playing in every position in the back four (not just a handful of games out of position) and can even step in as a defensive midfielder.

As for pace, he's never been fast but he's still as quick/quicker than John Terry.

After a pretty poor start to the season, I actually think he recovered his personal form rather well and finished quite strongly. Not one of the poorer performers at Liverpool by a long way.

Comment

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post
      SWP could always be dealt with by a defender simply standing his ground when I watched him. He's not going to get around a defender and he can't put in a good cross 95% of the time. So long as you don't give him an easy route, he's not going anywhere.
      I don't think we have anyone that can put in a good cross, period. If we're playing against the weaker teams I think our wide players will get joy, but once we're up against the big boys (Particularly those that are solid defensively) then we're going to miss Beckhams quality in delivering the ball where it hurts.

Comment

Originally posted by SharkSkin-Man View Post
        He's had extended spells playing in every position in the back four (not just a handful of games out of position) and can even step in as a defensive midfielder.
        ...and has a right old moan whenever he's asked to play in them!

Milner can (and willingly does) play right back if we get in that much trouble with injuries.

How about instead of taking 3 left backs, we take another right back instead?

I still say he shouldn't be called up, he turned his back on the England team.

Comment

Originally posted by Number45 View Post
          I don't think we have anyone that can put in a good cross, period.
          Lennon has massively improved this season crossing wise, before he got injured he was right up at the top of the assists table. Obviously he's no Beckham, but he's much better in that regard than any of the other right wing contenders.

Comment

Outside of our (obvious) starting eleven, we're seriously lacking quality.
            That is the main problem. If the first eleven manages to stay fit and play well throughout the tournament then we have a chance. However, if one or two of them get injured or play poorly then we will struggle.

I think Spain or Holland will win it, maybe Argentina if they gel.

Comment

Joe Cole can cross the ball too...though I've no idea on his natural position any more.

Comment

Originally posted by Number45 View Post
                I'm not an expert on Italian football by any means, but I have so much jealousy respect for the amount of Italian based players they have while remaining a genuinely good side.
                I think that Serie A has something like just over 70% Italian players. The ones that aren't Italian are nearly all at Inter as well

That's a good squad Italy have there, Lippi has gone for more fresh players than I expected. Whether they're get into the team rather than just the squad is another matter though.

Comment

He forced himself into that wide left position when he was at West Ham when everyone and his mother was looking to get into the England squad - with Beckham having the right side sewn up. We used him in the centre a great deal up until that point, and I still think he's most useful there.

<3 Joe Cole.

Comment

...and has a right old moan whenever he's asked to play in them!

Milner can (and willingly does) play right back if we get in that much trouble with injuries.

How about instead of taking 3 left backs, we take another right back instead?

I still say he shouldn't be called up, he turned his back on the England team.
                    And was rightly castigated for being a cock the one time he got above himself and has played there (quite well too) since.
                    He's played entire seasons at both left and right back, so has proper experience of all the defensive positions and I think Fabio is the kind of chap who likes experience.

Personally I think he should've told them to shove it, but there you go.

Comment

I'm pretty sure something stupid happened when he was in the England squad. Wasn't he overlooked for somebody like Titus Bramble?

If I were Carragher I'd have told them to do one too.

Comment

He was fed of warming the bench for Ferdinand and Terry, so sacked it. The point is he's not any good any more, rather than him turning his back on the team.

Barry being injured may mean Milner starting in centre midfield, which can only be a good thing and will lend us a significant amount more energy and dynamism. Lampard/Barry is pretty one-paced (slow).

Comment

Lampard/Milner midfield excites me.

Ferdinand and Terry would have to be on top of their game though, but they should be anyway.

Comment

A Capello side would usually be hard to beat, but Brazil and Spain have more quality.

I wonder if Spain can cope with their new role als favourites. They couldn't during that useless confed cup if that said anything.

Brazil, they are the ones i'll put my bet on. They seem to have it right, and no egos this time. Dunga has more balls than Parreira, he won't succumb to the cries for Ronaldinho and the likes.

Argentina may have a great offensive (all small guys though), but the rest isn't special. Especially their defense is really lacking. And Diego Maradona doesn't know tactics at all. Messi still has to play his first good game under him.

As for ourselves, out in quarter finals. We'll likely destined to face Brazil yet again, and lose. Even if we outplay them, we lose. Its nature. We're already guessing who will cause a riot this time, we think Sneijder

Comment

Due to my crazy love with Japan I was really looking forward to watching their games during the World Cup and had rota'd myself to have those days off.

I'm now going to be away the week they play their first 2 games.

If my workings are correct then LA is 8 hours behind us so 9 hours behind South Africa. That means if Japan kick-off at 16.00 the time in LA will be 7AM so I may just be able to watch their first game before I have to depart for my day but I'm kind of disappointed.

Japan's other games are on the 19th and 24th so I'll defo be able to watch the last one from home but the second one is on the day I fly back.

Guess I'll have to try and get PlayTV working again.

Comment

Argentina.
                                Some decent players missing out - Cambiasso, Zanetti, Lisandro Lopez, Lucho Gonzalez, Banega...

Goalkeepers: Sergio Romero, Mariano And?jar, Diego Pozo

Defenders: Nicol?s Otamendi, Mart?n Demichelis, Walter Samuel, Gabriel Heinze, Nicol?s Burdisso, Juan Insaurralde, Clemente Rodr?guez, Fabricio Coloccini, Ariel Garc?

Midfielders: Jon?s Guti?rrez,Javier Mascherano,Juan Sebasti?n Veron, ?ngel Di Mar?a, Javier Pastore, Jos? Sosa, Mario Bolatti, Juan Mercier, Maximiliano Rodr?guez, Jes?s D?tolo, Sebasti?n Blanco

Strikers: Lionel Messi, Gonzalo Higua?n, Carlos Tevez, Sergio Ag?ero, Diego Milito, Mart?n Palermo, Ezequiel Lavezzi.

Comment

Working...
                                X