No announcement yet.

Premier League 2011/12 general thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The figures were nearer 3 or 4 million in a few places I've read. Whelan couldn't stop talking about the situation since Liverpool requested permission to talk to Martinez. The dude has serious verbal diarrhea, the only reason I can think for him talking about it so much is that he wanted to get rid of the manager.

Comment

3 or 4 million is nothing compared to what they'd lose if they dropped out of the Premier League, so it's in Whelan's interest to have the best manager in the job he can get. If he doesn't think that's Martinez, then he'd fire him rather than piss about for a few million that's going to mean almost nothing in the grand scheme of things.

It just doesn't make sense, really.

Comment

So what do you all think of his appointment as Liverpool manager? (if it's true, of course).

Comment

When it looked like Harry was going to get the England job Rodgers was my first choice as replacement if we went down the "give a young up and coming manager a chance" route, so I think it's a good appointment.

No idea if he'll do well or not though, you can never tell how things will turn out no matter who you appoint and how well they've recently done! (See Ramos, Juande).

Comment

Originally posted by hoolak View Post
            So what do you all think of his appointment as Liverpool manager? (if it's true, of course).
            I think he could be an inspired signing. The kind of possession football Swansea played under him is exactly the kind that was the Liverpool 'way' years ago. With a higher quality of player at Liverpool you'd like to think the system Rodgers prefers would be more effective.

He has studied football in Holland and Spain, he speaks Spanish. That gives him the kind of outlook a lot of Liverpool fans are looking for, I think.

Another interesting period to witness I think. I'm also very happy, if reported correctly, that the owners have realised a technical director isn't something a lot of managers want to work under and have been flexible enough to change their plans. Louis Van Gaal would have been a disaster, of that I'm convinced.

Comment

I agree with Adrock above. A great move for Liverpool and fingers cross for him it will work out. I wouldn't be surprised to see Scott Sinclair to go with him either.

Comment

Dave Whelan has been on Sky Sports News again, saying that Martinez has committed himself to Wigan and won't be talking to any other clubs now that he's out of the frame for the Liverpool job. SSN are also reporting that Paul Lambert is Villa's number one target and they will approach him soon.

Comment

Originally posted by HumanEnergy View Post
                  Dave Whelan has been on Sky Sports News again, saying that Martinez has committed himself to Wigan and won't be talking to any other clubs now that he's out of the frame for the Liverpool job. SSN are also reporting that Paul Lambert is Villa's number one target and they will approach him soon.
                  *sob*

Comment

Originally posted by Kit View Post
                    Confirmed. Hope he does well, but if I'm honest I can't see him stopping the decline.
                    Agreed.

A totally underwhelming appointment, imho.

Comment

Might as well have appointed AVP.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
                        Might as well have appointed AVP.
                        Alien Vs Predator?

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                          Agreed.

A totally underwhelming appointment, imho.
                          We have to back him. I think he has the potential to get us playing better football and actually coaching us to putting a ball into an opponent's net. Manager's have to begin their journey somewhere. It's not impossible for a manager to come from a smaller club and do well. Sorry we couldn't get you Jose Pep Klopp Benitez

Comment

Originally posted by hoolak View Post
                            We have to back him. I think he has the potential to get us playing better football and actually coaching us to putting a ball into an opponent's net. Manager's have to begin their journey somewhere. It's not impossible for a manager to come from a smaller club and do well. Sorry we couldn't get you Jose Pep Klopp Benitez
                            I've never said I wouldn't back him, hoolak. I've always backed our managers - I even backed Hodgson until it became patently clear that he was crap. I just don't find myself being excited about Rodgers. I'll happily eat my words if I'm proven wrong.

Comment

Not good news for our Plough Boy, I'm afraid: Paul Lambert offers resignation to Norwich City

Comment

Apparently Lambert became aware of the fact that Plough Boy had reneged on his agreement to buy me beers for the remainder of the year if NCFC finished higher than SAFC. He has therefore tried to resign in disgust.

Comment

Working...
                                X