Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lll_r0ssco_lll
    Oh excellent, I love rain too!
    A little OT, but worth a mention: realistic weather isn't really 'done' in games - animating the leaves on trees to simulate wind convincingly, heat haze and sun glare (not just lens flare), decent rain and water reflection effects....these are all things that are processor-intensive and rarely bothered with. When someone does them, and does them well, you suddenly realise what you've been missing.

Comment

Yeh thats true, Like with MGS2 for instance, on the Tanker level when you first put the game on, it was fantastic, it looked and sounded just right!
      Hopefully it's something that will get done more of as these consoles progress and in the next-gen, it's the small things like that, that makes a difference to games for me.

Anyway... I'm glad to hear it still feels like Resident Evil after all the changes. Still no sign on mine in the post though.

Comment

Aside Zelda, this has been my most anticipated game since it was? well? when it was first even hinted at. Slowly but surely that anticipation has been building, evolving, consuming, but with a Will of its own not a load of foolhardy hype being forcefully fed into my gullet, ala Halo 2.

(That?s not a dig at Halo 2 by the way. I didn?t allow myself to be trapped within all the hype and therefore was actually really quite pleasantly surprised rather then painfully disappointed)

My thirst for Resident Evil 4 is far more avid due to being fairly unaware of its presence. It?s hard to describe? it was obviously always there? little pieces of info steadily trickling into awareness but it has never been too much. Also? until recently? there has been a lot of skepticism surrounding its devolvement so it wasn?t cursed by its own predetermined excellence. Could it possibly be the best Resident Evil? How can it be changed so drastically and still 'feel' like RE? For those who hated previous Res ? what on earth could Capcom do to evoke their interest? No umbrella? No zombie?!! What the hell?!

Lots of things to worry about?

Therefore, Mr taurusnipple sir, this is why im finding reading the impressions here so exciting! Its great to see that, yes?it IS actually as great as fans as hoped, but also even grander? so grand, in fact, anybody who loves games? whether a Resident Evil fan or not, will most likely fall in love with it.

Awww? great stuff.

It?s strange: even though i?m, like, SO excited about Resident Evil 4 with a fairly basic knowledge of knowing how great it looks, sounds and plays? my actual expectations are fairly? erm? confused. I haven?t a clue what to expect. Not a clue?

Therefore my excitement isn?t only ecstatic because I know i?m going to be playing a great game soon, but also because I don?t actually really know what I will be playing.

Hehe. Not long left now
        ----Member since April 2002

http://www.redbubble.com/people/adamstone

Comment

I know exactly what you mean Mr Stone.

All we've really seen of the game is the village and a few more screenshots from later levels, we don't have a clue what actually happens in the story, as it's not the usual Umbrella story so I'm clueless about how it's all going to end up.

I don't even know what the controls are going to feel like and I can't imagine it's going to look as good as all the pictures do but it will, I just can't imagine myself sitting there playing it, I think that it will feel like the future, today.

Weird.

Comment

This may seem like a very odd question, but are there herbs in this game and can you mix them? I just need to know.

Comment

Can anyone comfirm if it does have roughly 20 hours of play time with no bs? All the other RE games have been 8-10 hour jobs which end up being 2 hour jobs on any re-play throughs.

Comment

Yep, theres more kinds I think, a yellow one has been added if I remember correctly, can't remember what it does though.

Comment

Yep, there sure is.

Good old classic herbs are a Resident Evil Must! heh. I also think you can mix a new colour, yellow, and there are extra benifits to be had. One of which increases your health bar. Dont quote me on that part though! You will have to wait for either Cella or Mr taurusnipple (the lucky buggers) to say for sure

Though, yes... yes the herbs are most certainly there (they were present in the demo)

edit. hehe. was beaten to it ^_^
                  ----Member since April 2002

http://www.redbubble.com/people/adamstone

Comment

I'm about seven hours in. Best no-strafing third-person FPS I've ever played.

And whoever asked if you could invert your aim - yes, you can.

Comment

Excellent news! Now all I want is those sounds that you hear when you enter the game menus or press start (the sort of metallic noise) and I'm a happy man. I'm easily pleased, you see.

Comment

OH MY GOD!!!!
                        I finally got a chance to play it tonight. I got my copy yesterday but I wasn't able to play, which was horrible. This is amazing. I can't believe the cube is squeezing this out!!! I kinda sucked in the beginning, as I'm sure a few of you know...

when you enter the village you can run into the houses and the chainsaw d00d comes. Well, I stayed ouside and just kept killing the regular guys that came after me, 'cos my health was way low and I couldn't aim for ****. Well, after a while they all went to the church or whatever when the bell tolled

Which is nice because I'd assumed it was going to be a big set piece that I wouldn't be able to deviate from.

The lack of anamorphic 16:9 is quite annoying. I'm having to stretch it out to fill up the full tv width. Looks alright in progressive scan, there's some weird mosaicing going on at times. It's fine though, probably on purpose. I can't believe how good this game looks. Some of the little touches. Like camera focus. Wows. And the trees.....ad, well, just so many things.

Oh and it's scary, very scary. Regular zombies were dumb, they wouldn't call out and come running for you when they spotted you. If you get seen it's like "aaaagh, run away!"

I'ma play summore!

Comment

SOME KINDA SPOILER BITS AND PICS!!!!

So I've got to a part where I have to shoot 15 blue coins, they're all hidden. There's one in the top section of this barn thing. As you can see my health is at critical because I suck. Aiming is kind of difficult because it's over the shoulder.

Leon doesn't hold the laser completely steady, you can see this from the long exposure. Aiming takes a while to get used to.

Some cows, I think they're pretty detailed. They don't do anything though. There's a dog that runs away when you get close, but the cows act like you aren't even there.

And here is some more animals, the dog is around there too, but I can't take a close pic, it runs away.

The game doesn't output a proper anamorphic 16:9 picture, so what I'm doing here is stretching the picture out as you can probably see by the borders around the image. It still looks pretty good and sharp. Plus I'm playing in the dark, so it's like the borders aren't even there. Yays!
                          Last edited by Firsty; 13-01-2005, 04:20.

Comment

Looks amazing. I'm weak. I just caved and ordered this from VG+ based on the last few posts.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Stone
                              Yep, there sure is.

Good old classic herbs are a Resident Evil Must! heh. I also think you can mix a new colour, yellow, and there are extra benifits to be had. One of which increases your health bar. Dont quote me on that part though! You will have to wait for either Cella or Mr taurusnipple (the lucky buggers) to say for sure

Though, yes... yes the herbs are most certainly there (they were present in the demo)

edit. hehe. was beaten to it ^_^
                              Adam, your bang on correct about the yellow herb. Not been poisoned now that I think about it though.

Comment

Originally posted by Concept
                                Looks amazing. I'm weak. I just caved and ordered this from VG+ based on the last few posts.
                                Last few posts huh.......cheers!

Comment

Working...
                                X