No announcement yet.

Resident Evil 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The claw boy(s) are seriously cool enemies...possibly my favourite in the game just because they're so original

It's quite easy to beat them though. I do this:

Run for a few steps then stop and turn slightly. Do a 180 and walk slowly backwards. He will hear you run but not walk and will run straight past you and at an angle that lets you get behind him. From there it's simple.

Another great trick is to shoot anything in the room (bells, pots etc) and he'll hear the gunshot but will hear the impact as well and run towards that. When he reaches the end of the path shoot him a few times

Since I finished it I've been thinking about something. All the criticism of the game's story is unfair, IMHO. There is more than a 'foundation' for the story and this is executed really well. It's told really well and doesn't spoil the flow of the game at all. The context for this story and a hell of a lot more (relevant!) storylines are told through journals that you pick up. If this had been included in cut-scenes and told implicitly I guarantee all the people complaining would then say "There's too much story blah blah...cutscenes are too long blah blah"

There's an obvious balance decided in advance about what to tell the player and what to let them discover themselves. If something was taken out of the in-game narrative then it was because it didn't belong there.

How many of you put two and two together and realised that the villagers had sacrificed all of their children? It was hinted at during the game, during the end credits and it explains why there are no children in the game

The only other story criticisms are about unexplained background story...I'd love to see some of this explained in a prequel tbh

Comment

Using the original rifile to shoot with just looks cool by the way you reload it, then take another shot at a freak at distance...hehehe

Comment

Originally posted by Supergoal
        Using the original rifile to shoot with just looks cool by the way you reload it, then take another shot at a freak at distance...hehehe
        This is soooooooooooo true!! I kept it for the entire game... even when the new oner appeared I couldn't lose the original rifle... the animation between every shot is too cool!! Does slow you done during a critical moment but I looked on it as adding to the immediacy of a battle... made every shot mean that much more

Comment

Originally posted by Mardigan8
          This is soooooooooooo true!! I kept it for the entire game... even when the new oner appeared I couldn't lose the original rifle... the animation between every shot is too cool!! Does slow you done during a critical moment but I looked on it as adding to the immediacy of a battle... made every shot mean that much more
          God, going up against the

Regenerators

like that must of been tense!

Comment

Mr RLench, I agree whole-heartedly. I feel the story is executed and balanced well with the in-game gameplay, cut scenes and through written word via the numerous notes. I personally think using the games? story and characters as a negative is unjust and is more based on a person?s personal preference, rather then an obvious flaw within the game?

Also I felt that Capcom were clever how they went about the end of RE4. Firstly the rocket launcher was a nice prompt towards the original?s RE?s finale with the Tyrant ( though the final boss was the least impressive imo. Was the only boss I didn?t die at! ) but the ending itself showed how Resident Evil wasn?t the story concerning

Umbrella?s death as it was assumed, but rather was the story about its rebirth.

Concerning the rifle.... hehe. Agreed! The animation is too cool to lose and the tension created is insane. ^_^
            ----Member since April 2002

http://www.redbubble.com/people/adamstone

Comment

How do you clean stained treasures?

Comment

I cant remember who but someone posted they were gonna get the mine thrower: dont!. Its pants and I only found it usefull at one point in the game towards the end.

Youre better spending the money on something else.

As for

the villagers sacraficing their kids

I didnt catch this at all. What were the major hints in the story?

Comment

Yeh, I don't remember too much about that part too!? Do explain please!

Comment

The end boss idea was very clever, IMO.

It was a nice nod back to RE games but it doesn't spoil the fight - it's there if you want it. If not then kill him, pick it up and sell it off next time you play

The first rifle was excellent. The first time I zoomed in, saw someone on the other side of a walkway (near side of the church) and took his head clean off I knew there and then that this was going to special. This game has some of the best animation I've ever seen before...ever

I also think the

interactive cutscene with Krauser

doesn't get the praise it deserves. That was just loads of fun The fight was really cool but you had to be constantly on the edge of your seat to react in time. I don't think I've seen anything like this in a game before

However Capcom follow this I have no idea how they could improve it tbh. I'd love to see the original RE4 premise being stretched out as a full game (with ghosts, and that weird hook guy) but I'll buy it (and enjoy it) whatever they decide to do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Supergoal
                      How do you clean stained treasures?
                      You don't!

But:

If you are talking about the ones above the sorta wells of muck, if you look there are little wooden beams holding the lids up! Shoot those out and then shoot the items down and they remain clean, and worth lots more cash!

HTH

Comment

That rifle is just about the coolest video game weapon ever made .

It's not even that much harder to use than the semi auto, sure the reloading animation lasts longer but when you see through the scope again after that it will stil be looking at the same spot as before the reload. Besides, with the exclusive it's even more powefull than the maxed out semi auto.

Comment

Originally posted by lll_r0ssco_lll
                          Yeh, I don't remember too much about that part too!? Do explain please!

There was a memo somewhere - either in the village or in the mines. I think it was by Luis or maybe even Saddler, and said it was the children who suffered as much as the adults did. (or something along those lines)

During the end credits the images tell the story of how the village became infected. It shows a man injecting the parasite in a villager and then that person becoming more crazy. iirc there's one slide that shows a pile of bodies (children) and one being burned in the middle of the village

I originally saw this on Gaming Age's forum last month but they didn't explain it very well. It was only when I played through it a second time a few weeks later that I remembered this and began looking for it.

Have a look on their forum if you want to but their official thread has had 4300 replies...I wouldn't want to have to read through all of that

tbh this is the only part of the story I wish they'd explicitly explained in the narrative. The story is quite sad when you think about it:

A madman infects a whole town with a parasite to get them to do what he wants. They lose all control over their life and eventually kill their children. When you think of it like this it puts a huge spin on the effect of the game (Leon is basically killing 'innocent 'people' - they aren't evil, they're possessed)

Comment

Special note to music in Mercs mode as well. Not sure if its been mentioned but they're remixes of P.N. 03's tunes.

Brilliant !

Comment

Didnt know that, cool.

Comment

Originally posted by fearbat
                                God, going up against the

Regenerators

like that must of been tense!
                                Correct... it was mental with the old sniper!!

Having used the new sniper in Assignment Ada I can see now that the Regenrators would have been a doddle with the new Sniper... using the original rifle puts a whole new spin on your fights with them!! I usually made sure there was some distance between me and them then activated scope... it made the fights with them more intense than some of the boss battles, especially if you missed

Great fun though, and really glad I kept using the old one for bits like that!!

As for the interactive cut scene with Krauser...

One of the best moments of this OR ANY GAME... it aint been done before to my knowledge and it adds so much to the feeling of the game, loved that bit soooooooooo much. Also, the fight with him used it really well I thought... a great little feature!!

Comment

Working...
                                X