No announcement yet.

Devil May Cry 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got this. WHAT A GAME. Best current gen title I have played for ages. Folks on here will know I am more of a 2D gent usually, however I am adoring this game. How satisfying is it just chopping the **** out of demons, or juggling them in the air with your guns? The compulsion to better my scores is scary.It is just so...............right.

Comment

Originally posted by Extra Terrestrial
      I am STILL playing this game.

When will this stop?!
      ROFL - That's a good one!

Just sat down at work and my first thought was......Dante! It's got to the stage where I really just cant be arsed to play anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by seany1979
        Just got this. WHAT A GAME. Best current gen title I have played for ages. Folks on here will know I am more of a 2D gent usually, however I am adoring this game. How satisfying is it just chopping the **** out of demons, or juggling them in the air with your guns? The compulsion to better my scores is scary.It is just so...............right.
        DMC is also one of my favourite 3D-esque games. The makers know how to create a gaming environment that isn't confusing with over use of 3D perspectives etc... A lot of early similar action titles had major issues with cameras and walls- but the DMC people have shown others how to make 3D action adventures!

Comment

All of that plus you've got a lead character who is like a character select screen full of beat em up characters all rolled into one geezer. There's no ceiling to it! Taking just the control over Dante to higher and higher levels has had me hooked since the demo last year - and now I'm still yet to master all the bosses and DMD mode!

Comment

DMD progress update - Beowulf and Geryon out of the way. Very poor performance though ><

Beowulf wasn't too bad, I did manage to survive his hissy fit by randomly leaping around battering the circle button, from then it was pretty straightforward but I needed to use a vital star as I wasn't very confident of survival. Parrying the pillar smashes is easy and a quick way to build up the release charge, so that was what fnished him.

Geryon - OMG. If I'd approached this in swordmaster I'd have been screwed, what's with the constant missile bombardment?!?!? My initial tactic was to just let him charge right through me and parry all the damage, so I could whack him with a DT release to bring him down (killer bee kept missing) and then a RG release to get him off the bridge and into the arena. Also spiral worked phenomenally well when g-cancelling the recoil.

In the arena, he took the piss. He seemed to be able to catch me in his time-effect no matter where he was (most noticable when he was downed - the eyes would flash and that was it... caught). Then the number of red orbs floating around in the latter stages was just ridiculous, I could not avoid them. End result - I used 3 vital stars just to get him finished him off, and with Vergil 2 ahead of me there's no way I'm wasting time trying to improve my performance.

Comment

Dont feel bad Darwock, I to have had to resort to similair tactics to venture past some of the cretins in the DMD. Dont feel bad about it... do what I am doing... whatever it takes to get DMD finished THEN, go back and the school the ****ers that bitched you. Regardless of how many stars and **** you use taking any enemy down in DMD is no easy task.

I have been trying not to use the stars and in some cases (Vanguard, Cerberus and Gigapede so far) have been succesful. Doing the bosses without the need for items is a task best left for when you revisit a mission. All I am gunning for is a rank in every availabele mission slot at the moment. Will worry about the specifc letter later

Comment

Killer7 has kept me from Dante for a while now, but DMC3 is kind of like beer. Yeah I'm a have a Rum & Coke session followed by a couple of Redbull & Vodkas or maybe a bottle of wine one night, but basically it always comes back to beer...

Still hacking through Hard mode though, with no real urgency to finish it off, just as long as I keep making progress skills-wise I'm happy - I just don't want to ever stop replaying bits over and over again until I've tried all styles and weapon combos. Just when I think I can move on something stops me - thoughts of Mask De Smith have had me finnin for improving my Shotgun skills - Dante needs an unlockable Wrestler costume... Gonna be drunk on this game for TIME!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Saurian
                  All of that plus you've got a lead character who is like a character select screen full of beat em up characters all rolled into one geezer. There's no ceiling to it!
                  I never thought of it like that, but you're so right. Have you copyrighted it, or can I steal that analogy?

It's like a picking a totally different character to play as based on how you feel - slow and defensive, tactical, offensive or just arrogant and cocky

Comment

Originally posted by RLench
                    I never thought of it like that, but you're so right. Have you copyrighted it, or can I steal that analogy?

It's like a picking a totally different character to play as based on how you feel - slow and defensive, tactical, offensive or just arrogant and cocky
                    You also need to take into account the boss fights. Those alone have deep strategies found in one on one fighting games!

Comment

It is precisley like a fighter.. but only when the player in control is an accomplished player. In Tekken, VF, etc a skilled opponent will flow from one move to the next, regardless of whatthe opponent does, they will always have another move to flow to relevant to the situation. This is EXACTLY how Dante can flow in the correct hands and this type of 'flow' is only ever found in fighters.

Revolutionary is the best word to describe what DMC3 is doing and it is a ****en crime that it is not highly regarded as such!!

Comment

Exactly. The only limit in this game is the player's ability. Learn to play and you can do anything, but you MUST put the time and effort in to learn it...it's a shame no reviews even bothered to acknowledge this

Originally posted by venom743
                        You also need to take into account the boss fights. Those alone have deep strategies found in one on one fighting games!
                        The bosses were my favourite part of the game. I'll admit I got owned by almost every one the first time, but I refused to give up. I went back in, learned how to fight them and it worked. The bosses are so fair that you never feel cheated. The bosses become pyschological mind-games as you wait for opportunities, counter at the right time and plan everything two moves in advance

Comment

Which reminds me, I managed to SS Vergil3 (DMD) using RG at last!

Comment

Originally posted by Mardigan8
                            It is precisley like a fighter.. but only when the player in control is an accomplished player. In Tekken, VF, etc a skilled opponent will flow from one move to the next, regardless of whatthe opponent does, they will always have another move to flow to relevant to the situation. This is EXACTLY how Dante can flow in the correct hands and this type of 'flow' is only ever found in fighters.

Revolutionary is the best word to describe what DMC3 is doing and it is a ****en crime that it is not highly regarded as such!!
                            I was thinking the exact same thing just the other day!

This is the few games bar fighting games that I have turned on just to practice my sh!t. Not to achieve or complete something specific....Just turn it on and kick the sh!t out of something.

Could you imagine some kind of 4 player SSB style death match using the DMC 3 engine.

Comment

Originally posted by venom743
                              Which reminds me, I managed to SS Vergil3 (DMD) using RG at last!
                              That's off the hook bruv! I've been practising RG routines against Cerberus loads since you sent me the technique vid but still havent rinsed the Vergils yet at all. I had this stupid notion to try other games for a while

When I can tear myself away from the kickoffs in Mission 16 I try to train up on DMD bosses but for the moment I'm totally obsessed with Swordmaster! The more I train, the more things become automatic - like I used to have to REALLY think about switching weapons after cancelling Revolver or Enemy Step Cancelling, but now it's just something I do without thinking, like I couldnt buss The Hammer into Killer Bee into Volcano - but now it's standard issue!
                              Last edited by Saurian; 08-08-2005, 14:02.

Comment

Originally posted by Saurian
                                That's off the hook bruv! I've been practising RG routines against Cerberus loads since you sent me the technique vid but still havent rinsed the Vergils yet at all. I had this stupid notion to try other games for a while
                                Found an additional way to kill Cerberus with RG too! You know when he does his headbutt? It's hard to anticipate but you can do decent damage with a JR there or wait for him to pounce and then JR with Beowulf equipped and DT at the same time.
                                Vergil3 (DMD) isn't that hard once you can parry his 100 orb attack. All you need is 5 parries and you have a full release for when he reappears and he's dead! Thing is he has 2 types of 100 orb attacks, the one that chases you and the one where he throws them across the screen. It's best to parry the latter as it's safe once you get the timing right. The other attack requires a lot of fast parries and is really risky just like parrying Vergil's swords ( high risk, low gain - requires something like 20 odd parries to get a full release! )

Comment

Working...
                                X