X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Initial D Street Stage [PSP]

Boxart

Synopsis
    Initial D: Street Stage is the long awaited port of the arcade smash hit, Initial D: Version 3. Street Stage brings all of the game modes straight out of the arcade into your PSP. Players can race head to head via wireless Ad-hoc or take on the racers straight out of the anime! Street Stage introduces a new card system for customization of their vehicle. For every race/battle you win, a card is awarded. Different cards provide different effects, so the more you race, the more powerful your car can be! Street Stage features over 200 cards to collect.

Release Date
    JP - 23/02/2006
    US - N/A
    EU - N/A

Screens

Features
    ? Requires v2.60 Firmware
    ? Wireless Ad-hoc mode
    ? All the characters, cars and tracks from the Version 3 arcade game

Weblinks

Buy it Links

Last edited by Kubrick; 26-02-2006, 20:32.

Initial D Street Stage (PSP)

This arrived yesterday and here are some very brief impressions. If you've played the PS2 prequel this is very similar just with more tracks - think of it as an update as opposed to a true sequel (I think this is based on the 3rd version of the arcade game, whilst the PS2 version was based on the second). The main part of the game involves you challenging various opponents on each course. You have to beat each of them twice - once in the dry and then in the wet.

The big new change is that instead of getting points at the end of the race which you can then spend on upgrades you get trading cards instead. Provided you finish a race regardless of whether you won or came last you get to choose from three cards lying face down. There are 195 to collect and they contain information about characters, cars, tracks and parts. To upgrade your car you must use up one of the part cards. You can also trade cards with other people via wi fi.

There's a cool museum mode where you can view information on cars, characters, tracks etc as well as listen to all the Super Eurobeat tunes. As you collect more cards more things become available to view which is nice.

Basically it's Initial D. It's great. If you liked the game in the arcade or on the PS2 it's a must.

Now then for a bit of help. I've been unable to play the second option on the main menu - I'm assuming this is the time trial mode. After choosing the track, conditions etc the game goes to load and then the PSP seems to be accessing the memory card and then I get a message which due to my lack of Japanese I don't understand and I can't go any further. I'm not sure if this is due to lack of space on my memory card but I have 24 Mb free so I think this is unlikely. If anyone knows how to access the time trial or had the same thing happen to them please let me know.

Finally, it requires firmware 2.60 to run so if you want to keep your emus etc you may have to give the game a miss for the time being.

Comment

Originally posted by gossi the dog
      This arrived yesterday and here are some very brief impressions. If you've played the PS2 prequel this is very similar just with more tracks - think of it as an update as opposed to a true sequel (I think this is based on the 3rd version of the arcade game, whilst the PS2 version was based on the second). The main part of the game involves you challenging various opponents on each course. You have to beat each of them twice - once in the dry and then in the wet.

The big new change is that instead of getting points at the end of the race which you can then spend on upgrades you get trading cards instead. Provided you finish a race regardless of whether you won or came last you get to choose from three cards lying face down. There are 195 to collect and they contain information about characters, cars, tracks and parts. To upgrade your car you must use up one of the part cards. You can also trade cards with other people via wi fi.

There's a cool museum mode where you can view information on cars, characters, tracks etc as well as listen to all the Super Eurobeat tunes. As you collect more cards more things become available to view which is nice.

Basically it's Initial D. It's great. If you liked the game in the arcade or on the PS2 it's a must.

Now then for a bit of help. I've been unable to play the second option on the main menu - I'm assuming this is the time trial mode. After choosing the track, conditions etc the game goes to load and then the PSP seems to be accessing the memory card and then I get a message which due to my lack of Japanese I don't understand and I can't go any further. I'm not sure if this is due to lack of space on my memory card but I have 24 Mb free so I think this is unlikely. If anyone knows how to access the time trial or had the same thing happen to them please let me know.

Finally, it requires firmware 2.60 to run so if you want to keep your emus etc you may have to give the game a miss for the time being.
      Agreed. The game's awesome and perfect for the PSP. Short load times, replay value, updated soundtrack, what more could you ask for?
      This game is based on Stage 3 with some additions exclusive to the PSP.
      About Time trial, select "no" as it's asking if you want to load ghost data which I presume you don't have saved on the memory stick.
      Regarding controls, setting the handling to 1 improves handling greatling IMO. Try it out!

Comment

Yes I worked out how to do the time trials

How do you change the handling? TBH I really like the handling as it is

Comment

Given the sheer amount of PSP racers - how does it stack up against the likes of Ridge Racers? I haven't actually played any Initial D games.

Comment

does it have a 2 player option?

Comment

Ack! I'm really not keeping on top of these PSP releases, first Gradius passes me by and now this.

Comment

great first impressions. i'm so happy it seems to have turned out well, as this is the reason i bought my psp in the first place.
                makes me wish i'd gone for quick shipping now.

is there any kind of online time trial boards for this one?
                with the wifi/usb i'd assume it would be quite simple.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang
                  Given the sheer amount of PSP racers - how does it stack up against the likes of Ridge Racers? I haven't actually played any Initial D games.
                  Indeed me neither, would the Initial D series appeal to a person like me who only likes arcade racers? (Found the likes of PGR and GT dull as hell, if that helps... prefer the usual Sega produce).

Comment

Well it's an arcade racer, by Sega . I'm keeping an interested eye on this - I liked the PS2 version, although it aint all that in the handling department. Enjoyable game though, with great music.

Comment

Originally posted by Shakey_Jake33
                      Indeed me neither, would the Initial D series appeal to a person like me who only likes arcade racers? (Found the likes of PGR and GT dull as hell, if that helps... prefer the usual Sega produce).
                      If you like Ridge Racer, you're sure to love it.

Comment

Not sure about that tbh. I always found it a bit baffling that a game supposedly about powersliding around hairpin mountain roads had a distinct lack of, well, powersliding. Initial D is also a requires more precision than Ridge - few driving games beat the feeling of absolutely nailing a course, or the dread of messing a corner up. Also best to point out that Initial D is a far better time trial game than it is a racing game, unlike Ridge. The rudimentary collision detection coupled with the narrow mountain roads effectively scuppers the racing modes. Overall, I think that Initial D is more of an acquired taste than Ridge. Everyone loves Ridge, right? If you love tt games, do for Initial D - if it's anything like the PS2 / arcade versions anyway.
                        Last edited by Jashin; 28-02-2006, 00:03.

Comment

Also best to point out that Initial D is a far better time trial game than it is a racing game
                          Yep, agreed.

What are the loading times on the PSP version like? They were pretty poor on the PS2 :/

Comment

Originally posted by venom743
                            Agreed. The game's awesome and perfect for the PSP. Short load times, replay value, updated soundtrack, what more could you ask for?
                            Shud answer u Q

this game is the only reason I have held onto my PSP, I hope it doesn't dissapoint when I can finally afford it. I absolutely adored Special Stage on the PS2 XD even spent over 10 hours solid just doin the Akina downhill one day :$

Comment

what the graphics and frame rate like?. Is it up there with RR onthe PSP

Comment

Working...
                              X