Braid [XBL/PSN]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stevie vip 99 View Post
    The "leaked list" say's it will be anyway so don't blame me if it's not on offer lol
    Would you be able to link this list? I'm very far behind on XBL downloads, so I'd love to make a saving.

Comment

So I just finished this. Had absolutely no idea what went on in the epilogue till I read up on it. Pretty cool but I never would have worked something like that out myself. Good game overall, if frustrating in parts. The bit where

the princess is trying to kill you

is one of the best game moments I've seen recently.

Comment

The list.

20th, new year theme free
        21th, Lips DLC previously 180 points now 80 points
        22th, LIVE Arcade Rez HD, 800 -> 400 (This was true for Japan and some parts of Europe i think)
        23th, LIVE Arcade MARVEL VS. CAPCOM 2, 1200 -> 560
        24th, LIVE Arcade, UNO Rush 800 -> 400
        25th, LIVE Arcade, The Secret of Monkey Island 800 -> 400
        26th, LIVE Arcade, Magic:The Gathering 800 -> 400
        27th, Fallout? 3 DLC 400
        28th, Guitar Hero 5 Rolling Stones Live Track Pack 720 -> 320
        29th, LIVE Arcade, Braid, 1200 -> 560
        30th, LIVE Arcade, Castle Crashers, 1200 -> 560
        31th, LIVE Arcade, Battlefield 1943, 800 -> 400

Comment

Originally posted by mekanor View Post
          got this for $2.50 from the steam holiday sale and am up to world 5. It's ok, has a lot of really good ideas, but more than anything it seems frustrating. Some puzzle pieces are easy but then there are the ones that I spend 30 seconds working out what to do and then half an hour trying to pull it off. So far the worst was the level with

the key that goes back in time when you walk left. you have to get a sparkly goomba on a platform and jump on him to bounce up another level. the slightest movement to the left sends the key back to the bottom

. I don't consider myself bad at platforming, and this just saps any fun out of what seems to be a fairly interesting puzzle game

EDIT: heh checked a page back, fickle companion is the one I'm talking about. good to know I'm not the only one who thought it was rubbish
          I wouldn't have said 'rubbish' - just that I didn't find it at all intuitive, or a solid set of understandable rules. Some of the solutions flat out seemed to make no sense:

why the hell does your shadow double have momentum when you turn him off?

and far too many of them seemed to have been dreamt up not because they formed some logical extension of everything that had already been established, but because they showed off how awwwwesome Jonathan Blow is.

I bought it on the Steam sale because it seemed daft not to, and I have got much further with it than I did on the 360, so either I'm a little smarter now, or more patient, or both. But my problems with it still stand - very, very clever, very slick, an impressive pieve of design in many respects but far too self-satisfied, hollow and pretentious. I've already used a guide for a couple of pieces on World 5 and I doubt I can be bothered with doing much more on World 6 or beyond.

I'm aware a lot of people are more than happy with it the way it is: good for you. I still think it should have been equally about the platforming, with the first objective simply to get through all the worlds (why the hell else is there an achievement for doing that?), an ending based on simply completing the game and then further clarification for anyone smart or dedicated enough to pick up all the puzzle pieces. As it stands, it's more than worth a couple of pounds, no question. But I doubt I can be bothered even to cheat my way through to the end.

Comment

I just played through this (about a year after everyone else did), and loved nearly every moment of it. Brilliant game... It almost matched Portal in terms of enjoyment. Some of the puzzle solutions were so audacious I actually laughed out loud upon discovering them. And the ending left me reeling

Seeing some of the complaints on here, I was expecting a couple of unfair/bull**** puzzles. But thinking back, I can't remember any level which I'd describe as truly unfair.
            It is bloody hard - some of the levels took me ages to figure out - but I never had to resort to an faq (which I would have done quickly if I thought I was being messed around.)

I see a few people took issue with the level "Fickle Friend". Although it's a hard level, I don't think it's unfair: the logic is fully consistent with what goes before. The solution is elegant enough as well.
            If I had to choose one puzzle to complain about, I'd be more tempted to pick on "Fragile Friend":

so Tim is able to pick up a green key while time is in reverse... ok. But somehow, this alters his shadow replay so that he appears to have been holding the key all along? Something's fishy there. Surely.

But overall... how nice to see a game without a single second of filler. This game is truly 0% fat. Every piece of level furniture is there for a reason, like the best of Nintendo's classic designs.

Also, I can see why some would be annoyed by the pretentiousness of the writing. It's a fair point really. I still don't have an effing clue what the story was about.
            But I enjoyed the beauty of the game's art and music enough to forgive it for that.

Comment

I think I equally like and dislike this game, which is unusual for me to feel this way about a game.

I like the art style, the music, the slow and gradual build-up to the story and most of all, the challenge some of the puzzles present and that sense of satisfaction you feel after conquering a fiendishly difficult puzzle. Well, to me anyway.

Yet I dislike the character who is charmless and has very little personality, the visuals - whilst nice - is slightly repetitive and the music seems to loop all too quickly which can grate when you are stuck on a particular puzzle for more than five minutes.

After doing forty puzzles, the last twenty or so settled me from liking the game to becoming frustrated with it but of course, that frustration immediately goes away when you finally solve the puzzle! Such a fleeting mix of feelings in a short space of time. Though, it doesn’t take long for the process to start over again…

I like the attic levels (after solving all sixty puzzles) as they seem tame and relaxing compared to the (frustrations of) world five and six. I suddenly found myself enjoying the game again and what a finale too! The story made sense in the end (I had the ‘I Will Possess Your Heart’ song playing in my head) and above all, I liked it.

But I also don’t like it for reasons I have already stated.

A rare mixed-gem.

Comment

This is 400 points if you go through the sales and special area on xbox after the scratch and match i bought it seem quite good so far sometimes it a bit over fiddly getting some of the puzzle pieces i dont mind one where it is a puzzle but some of the one where you have to time land on a enemy head are bloomin fiddly i will put more time into it later.

Comment

Working...
                X