Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LittleBigPlanet [PS3]

Got the Beta down. It works right now, none of this waiting until tomorrow

I've done the tutorial, designed my little dude (not many options in the beta) and now on level 1. The Stephen Fry voice over is, as expected, very THHGTTG.

Controls are nice, graphics are great. Characterisations, pulling facing, waving limbs, everything is fun!

This makes me feel happy

This is awesome. It's a proper "game". So much to do, and it's all done with fun and zest.

There are actually loads of costumes and character options, you open them up as you play through.

I was on level 2, and at the top of my screen, I go informed that Spatial had just completed a level and his score! That was a nice unexpected feature.

This looks stunning

Comment

Should say, not many people on this. I'm now 30th in the world I guess on lvl 2, after my first play through.

Comment

Played just the intro and I loved the way they introduced all the developers!

I just smiled all the way through the first area. Kept stopping and dancing apart from no reason other than it made me smile. I'll have to dig out my PlayStation Eye later as you can use it in this and sackify your voice!

The bad news is that I'm really not going to get much time on this until the weekend and I'll have Wipeout & MegaMan too.

Is there anyway to get into an online game when you get out of the intro or is it restricted to one player?

Comment

On lvl3 there's an area that needs 2 players to open up, maybe it is online? It's wonderfully paced. Done lvl 3 (13th on the scoreboard!) and that opens create mode.

I'm rather enamoured with that. I'm having to stop playing now I'm afraid due to a prior booking, else I'd be on this all night. It's magical. This is truly "next gen" in every way - and I don't say that lightly, even though it's a bold statement after only the first 3 levels! But right now, it eclipses everything I've played in a long time in one important way - it's fun. From the title sequence at the start, to where I am now, it's been a true pleasure to play. The "fun" is in the game, in the presentation, in how the world is crafted. It's a throw back to the era of 2d platform titles (check out the Mario mushrooms on level 1), expanding with the 2.5d "in/out" of the screen, yet keeping it simple. You get buffered to the right plane if you run in to an object; it jumps to the right plane as well. It's very fluid, bar a small clipping issue I had getting on the skateboard.

The music is wonderful.

Each level seems to have a lot of unlockables. I got 100% on lvl1, but the other two I've got under 50% I think, and I picked up pretty much everything I could see!

Comment

There are different level of character expressions - so press up once he smiles, again a big grin, and three times his mouth is agape

Comment

Beta's totally sold me on this now - all the doubts I had have been washed away from the moment it started.

Bags of charm but beneath the cute exterior there's seems to be a tonne of creative stuff to do. The editor is really, really versatile too - I'm amazed at how intuitive it feels and while it does take a bit of getting used to you'll be creating and sticking in next to no time.

Comment

im totally sold on this too.

wife says "that is the cutest thing ever" when i put an elizabethan outfit on! (not me, on sackboy!)

graphics and textures smooth as you like, and more personality in this tutorial section alone than every mario clone put together. i love the home-made blue peter look of it all.

i know this is early days but there is that feeling when you play this...you know that feeling that only nintendo seem to create in a platform game. that feeling of constant surprise and smiles as yet another great little addition is presented - whether its the skateboard made of cotton reel-wheels or the amazing ghosts!!! every little bit so far has just shown how much love for their creation MM has and how much attention to detail there is.

its like an bizarre collision of monty python and mario in WH smiths!

seriously you know after such a short time with LBP that this is going to be (deservedly) HUGE.

and if the level sharing etc works well, then it is a potentially limitless game, (and by all accounts game creation tool).

its unique.

just wait for the hyperbole to start when this gets released.

Comment

I'm loving my little Renaissance Man sackboy.

With his little neck ruff, jaunty hat and sporting a matching goatee. Brilliant!

Comment

grrr - mines taking forever to download - can't wait!

Comment

Mine's installing now. Has anyone been able to confirm if online is available in the demo?

Comment

What I also like is how they're integrated the stat updates as you play "so an so has just got X points on level Y"

Plus the in-build message integration and friends finding is all there at your fingertips.

Comment

Does the beta have any kind of offline multi-player? Mines taking an age to download, I hav'nt been this excited for a demo since halo 3!

Comment

Yes, there's one puzzle in the third (?) stage that encourages you to partake of some two player action to solve it (didn't get a chance to try it myself)

Comment

Just needed to say...WOW!!!

Got myself a nice bunny outfit now and there just seems to be so much to collect in each level. I had a very quick go at creating a level and you just seem to be able to do what ever you want.

The physics threw me at first as Sackbunny has weight so if he lands on a slope then his weight will pull him down the slope.

Had a bit of mess around with lip syncing which is a nice touch. I also tried the Tie Skipping level online but the lag was terrible. I'm hoping that's down to the fact that this doesn't actually start properly tomorrow.

It gives you so much info on what your friends are doing if you go to their planets. You can see levels & creators that they've hearted and I can see that Chain is playing the Tie Skipping level right now and I'm waiting for his score to arrive.
                              Last edited by JP; 23-09-2008, 21:24.

Comment

Working...
                              X