LittleBigPlanet [PS3]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah sorry, Maps = Levels I know what I mean

My pinball map is coming on. Having issues with the bumpers still, but they're as good as I can make them, just need to remove a small bumb in them that sometimes kills you. I'm going to sketch a few ideas down tomorrow, I want a couple of triggerable events to drop points around the level, and I'm not sure what events I want or how I'd trigger them - something like three sensors spread over the table. Player flies through the air over them, if you light all three, points drop down the table. Easy so far, but how do I reset the sensors again afterwards so I can do it all again? I'll work on it

Comment

My first thought on that would be to have each sensor emit a dissolvable block with a magnetic trigger on it to activate the 'light up'. When the points are released you could also have the blocks dissolve so they have to be emitted again.

The important point with that kind of switch is the block has to be set with a switch to destroy itself, as you can't emit objects with connections to non-emitted objects. So you need to move a trigger close to the block to make it dissolve itself.

Comment

Rebought this a couple weeks ago as it was cheap. Still don't think its amazing, but its great to put on every couple of days and play a few levels.

I still they need to add playlists into this game. Mainly so that level creators can created a more cohesive game experience spreads over multiple maps.

Comment

You effectively can do that by providing keys for each level. As soon as the player leaves to the level selection screen after collecting a key, the new level pops up in front of them. There are plenty of multi-stage levels out there already...

Comment

trying to get back into this and really enjoyed playing on some of the user made content even went back to single player and quite enjoyed that too for a short while,

cant believe they have split the online community on this already though as i was told i couldn't play certain levels because i didn't have a certain mgs content pack bah wheres my credit card then would be nice to be told this before loading up the levels lol

quick question are the god of war and valentine packs of a similar nature am i from this point on gonna keep bumping into this unless i buy all three

Comment

No, only the MGS one contained gameplay items - I'm kind of surprised though as earlier in this thread people already confirmed they could play the paintinator stuff without having bought the pack!

Comment

Originally posted by Darwock View Post
                No, only the MGS one contained gameplay items - I'm kind of surprised though as earlier in this thread people already confirmed they could play the paintinator stuff without having bought the pack!
                my mistake you get a warning then it lets you use it anyway lol
                Last edited by Lebowski; 07-02-2009, 09:11.

Comment

My first thought on that would be to have each sensor emit a dissolvable block with a magnetic trigger on it to activate the 'light up'. When the points are released you could also have the blocks dissolve so they have to be emitted again.

The important point with that kind of switch is the block has to be set with a switch to destroy itself, as you can't emit objects with connections to non-emitted objects. So you need to move a trigger close to the block to make it dissolve itself.
                  Thanks I'll look in to that later. Just been trying to make a circular pinball bumper, but not going too well yet. I'll work on it

Comment

OK this is what I've built:

Fairly simple Logic Circuit I worked out myself. This functions just fine for one of my sequenced events, but I have another that I'm not sure how to do.

4 areas, once all are activated it unleashes MultiBall on my pinball table for, say, 20 seconds. I can drop keys, but how do I link the end of the event back to dissolve the emitted key blocks? Only way I can think of is dropping explosives onto the keys with more emitters afterwards, but that's not exactly elegant. Plus I'm not sure the explosives will destroy the key, or just the dissolvable block. Any advice?

Comment

Not sure if you are asking about the timing method or the mechanics of ending the event, but here's my thoughts.

For the timing, you can use a one way piston with a travel time of 20 seconds - set the switch that activates it to 'one shot'. Put a trigger on the end of the piston, and a switch just above the bottom of it's travel. (In it's unactivated state it will sit at the bottom so you need to put the switch slightly higher.) This is how I did the 5 second launch countdown on my Paintball level. If it's multiball though surely you can skip all this and just use the lifespan setting of the emitted balls to make them disappear after 20 seconds?

Assuming you need to manually end the event, when your 20 second switch gets activated, like I mentioned in a post above you can move triggers close to the self-wired dissolvable blocks (by any method) so they activate themselves. Make sure you have captured the objects for easy replacement in case you accidentally set them off in create mode and forget to rewind, lol.

edit - One possible flaw I can see in that design is that your dissolvable blocks have the magnetic switches on them, and they are wired to another object off screen (presumably the bumpers). That will mean you can only ever do it once - you need to put the triggers on the blocks, and have the switches fixed on an object next to them (most likely where you currently have the triggers) i.e. just swap it round. The only magnetic switch that should be on the dissolvable blocks themselves is the one that destroys them. The way they are, if you emit those blocks a second time they will lose the connection to the bumpers. The blocks have to be 'self-contained'.
                      Last edited by Darwock; 09-02-2009, 01:57.

Comment

Hopefully this will explain what I mean

The buttons here would obviously be replaced by the functional parts of your pinball machine. The first button on the left would be the equivalent of the player activating part of the machine, and the button on the right represents your timer running out. Both buttons are set to 'one shot'.

1. The emitter is triggered by the left button, which makes the dissolvable block appear.
                        2. The dissolvable block activates the blue magnetic switch and turns on the light.
                        3. The button on the right triggers the flipper piston, which dissolves the block (red switch) and turns off the light.

The 'light' represents your desired effect on the machine. In your case you would need to have four of these and logically connect them so all have to be activated for the effect to kick off.

Of course this is not the only approach, this is just how I would do it. It's a lot of fun figuring this stuff out, maybe you can come up with something better!
                        Last edited by Darwock; 09-02-2009, 02:38.

Comment

Thanks, I'll look in to this later (home ill today ). In my image, my emitted dissolvable keys aren't wired to anything, it's just how it looks in the picture. The keys are on top of logic circuit for no actual reason. What's wired to the table are the locks themselves, so it works fine every time

Thanks so much for taking the time to explain this, I'll work it out when my head stops spinning So what is the button on the right, the red lock, actually wired to? I'm a little fuzzy about that one thing. Everything else seems great
                          Last edited by Matt; 09-02-2009, 09:04.

Comment

The red magnetic switch is wired to the green block it is sitting on, which is why you can't see the wire. It's only purpose is for destroying the block when you're done with it.

Genuinely sick mate? I only ask cos I pulled a sicky once cos my head was buzzing with LBP ideas and I wanted to put them in action lol.. hope you feel better soon anyhow

Comment

Oh I see, the red Lock on the emitted block hooks in to the emitted block itself so it dissolves!

Edit - posted this before I read your post above. Thanks

Comment

Genuinely sick mate? I only ask cos I pulled a sicky once cos my head was buzzing with LBP ideas and I wanted to put them in action lol.. hope you feel better soon anyhow
                                Yeah afraid so. I do contract work, so if I don't work, I don't get paid Coughing up some kind of new organic compound so best not to go in to work. Pounding headache so **** knows what I'm doing on here now. I should be resting

Comment

Working...
                                X