No announcement yet.

Resident Evil 5 (demo)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like i said though....think its more because capcom said them selves they had planned to revamp the controls ....and it did not happen...thats what bugs people (like me )

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
      Well people seem more than Happy with the likes of GTA IV , a game which is a sequel by the numbers and failed to fix any of the control issues , much less the dreadful combat system.

EA stil can't get the headering system right in FIFA, bit millions still seem to buy that . I don't think Capcom got much to worry about , if the game play and story is there to back up the GFX . And I'll only know that, when I play the final game, not a 3 min demo
      Are you seriously claiming that the control/combat system didn't improve through the GTA series?

Comment

Originally posted by FullSpecWarrior View Post
        I haven't played the game enough for it to become an issue yet but I can see that it could. You know you can use the D-Pad for quick inventory changes?
        Originally posted by DavidFallows View Post
        Gone are the menus and brief pauses, such as picking up currency, that enable you to think of your next action between commands - and, *gasp*, change your weapon in style. Everything is done in real time which takes away so much from the RE4 experience.

How easy are you finding that whilst running away with no ammo using the same thumb? I personally bring my right hand over to the d-pad to select...

Then I find out silly bitch has all my ammo.

Not being able to run and shoot is granted for this being Res Evil, the point is that you CAN change guns whilst running this time, it's just that you need two thumbs on your left hand in order to pull this off comfortably, which I think most people are disliking.
        Yep. Coming straight off of Dead Space it was an instinctive reaction (I used my right thumb on the d-pad in that game too).

Comment

The whole d-pad debacle is probably the disaster Mikami was avoiding when he chose not to have the C-stick for weapon selection in RE4, that wouldn't have been so bad considering it's used with the other hand.

I'm thinking the new inventory system is typically a knee-jerk reaction to Dead Space's immersiveness whilst forgetting the original's function.
          Last edited by dataDave; 05-02-2009, 12:49.

Comment

So Dead Space had the same quick change system, complete with the two thumbs on one hand requirement?! So Capcom copied a flawed control system? That's bizarre!

Comment

Not really, it's just happened before our very eyes. This game isn't by Mikami, so it is probably going the same place as Dino Crisis III.

Also, Dead Space was good.
              Last edited by dataDave; 05-02-2009, 13:28.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidFallows View Post
                Not really, it's just happened before our very eyes. This game isn't by Mikami, so it is probably going the same place as Dino Crisis III.

Also, Dead Space was good.
                So the one that likes to say noone played RE , obviously hasn't played DC III or at least finished it. Because old Mikami san is in the credits as Producer . And if you only played the Dead Space demo you would think the game is sh8t , but thankfully most here played the final game

The whole d-pad debacle is probably the disaster Mikami was avoiding when he chose not to have the C-stick for weapon selection in RE4, that wouldn't have been so bad considering it's used with the other hand
                Or maybe Mikami just knew the Cube D Pad was more or less useless

And I think the RE 5 demo is based on E3 code shown off earlier this year . Long before Dead Space made it out, So I think RE5 most certainly did not borrow the controls at all

Are you seriously claiming that the control/combat system didn't improve through the GTA series?
                Change a little it may have, but the combat system is rubbish , and to control the cars feels like you driving on ice ,more the moment you brake . A problem I've had since the game went 3D .

Saints Row handles that side of thinks so much better , yet its never stopped millions from enjoying GTA IV

Comment

just press the run button and back to do a quickturn. to save ammo, shot the gruts in the leg/knee and run behind them to execute the neckbreaker or uppercut if they facing towards chris.

forget what i posted, using the ps3 browser which is quite awkward .
                  Last edited by Cornflakes; 05-02-2009, 16:11.

Comment

Man this so much better on co-op, its really cool in the second mission where one person has to snipe and the other person goes across to the other building, reminds me of those kind of scenarios with ashley in RE4

Comment

Fairly disappointed with this. Identical AI, same animation, same control scheme ; this would have been fine had they released it early last year, but after Metal Gear Solid 4 (which nailed third person shooting) it’s hard to go back to the stationary stuff - and this is coming from someone who championed the fact they kept the Resi 4 control scheme.

Another thing is - after Left 4 Dead - I can’t get over how you can just brush past zombies as you jog around the level. I know (again) it’s the same as Resi 4 but that method of avoiding enemies really hasn’t aged well.
                      Last edited by Kit; 06-02-2009, 22:58.

Comment

Played the demo again today and everything just clicked, it was the first time I was able to complete the first section without Shiva begin killed. I guess I was until today expecting her to take of herself when in fact playing co-operatively is necessary even in the single player mode. You have to constantly keep healing each other and switching ammo and items between the two. All this adds to the tension which makes the slow enemies less of an issue as if your separated or surrounded they can still be deadly.

I think this is at the top of my most wanted list now. The series is my favourite franchise, and the fact that it will match the game play of Resi 4 coupled with it looking like it links in to the series mythology more than its predecessor means that for me at least it’s a win win situation.
                        Last edited by Fargo; 06-02-2009, 22:42.

Comment

Originally posted by Kit View Post
                          Fairly disappointed with this. Identical AI, same animation, same control scheme ; this would have been fine had they released it early last year, but after Metal Gear Solid 4 (which nailed third person shooting) it?s hard to go back to the stationary stuff - and this is coming from someone who championed the fact they kept the Resi 4 control scheme.
                          YES

Comment

Just tried the demo and not sure if it was mentioned but the default control scheme is not the the same as RE4. You have to switch it to setup B for that, I found that setup with full aiming speed a lot more comfortable.

One thing I was very surprised to see was an offline split screen co-op mode. I don't remember that ever being mentioned before.

I do think the criticism for this is a bit too harsh considering it's an old and very short demo of an 18 hour long game. From what I've seen of the trailers there's far far more this game has to offer. Also as has been mentioned, without the buildup and cut scenes the atmosphere is obviously gonna be affected.

Comment

Originally posted by Shoju View Post
                              One thing I was very surprised to see was an offline split screen co-op mode. I don't remember that ever being mentioned before.

I do think the criticism for this is a bit too harsh considering it's an old and very short demo of an 18 hour long game. From what I've seen of the trailers there's far far more this game has to offer. Also as has been mentioned, without the buildup and cut scenes the atmosphere is obviously gonna be affected.
                              Adding an extra 17.5 hours on top of what is there doesn't fix the awkwardness of the mechanics or the tiredness of the experience.

Comment

Originally posted by averybluemonkey View Post
                                Adding an extra 17.5 hours on top of what is there doesn't fix the awkwardness of the mechanics or the tiredness of the experience.
                                I don't think that little demo gives you a good enough idea of all the different gameplay elements present in the full game. It's not gonna be 18 hours of exactly the same thing. It's also missing all the storyline and buildup affecting your interest in what's going on. I'm also expecting this early section will be more polished.

I don't have as big a problem with the controls myself. They might be outdated but they certainly don't make it unplayable. There are 4 different control setups, I found at least one of them ok.

Comment

Working...
                                X