Blazblue (PS3/360)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blazblue (PS3/360)

I picked up the PS3 version on my way home from work tonight, so here are some impressions. First point is I'm coming to this as a complete n00b, never played Guilty Gear seriously before (but love the soundtracks!) so I am utterly clueless.

I dipped into the Arcade mode first, made it up to stage 7 or so before i had to use a continue simply by trying basic fighter type stuff (double taps, half circles etc) but the screen was still covered by lots of weird energy bars and status indicators that I have no clue about. The presentation is great, and the music is everything I hoped for - lots of gothic rawk guitar! Unfortunately it's kind of hard to hear it because your characters are so noisy.

This wasn't story mode but every few stages there would be some story type exposition, no idea what they were babbling on about though (despite being in english!) and the voice acting is pretty embarrassing, but what would you expect from an anime style game. What I did notice is that sometimes the dialogue moves on before a character has finished speaking, so they interrupt themselves - I guess they didn't optimise the timing for the english. Doesn't really matter as nobody is likely to watch these things more than once before skipping through to the action.

The action itself is very pretty, but the animation could be better (just like all other games from these guys).. I can't talk too much about the system and stuff, only thing I discovered was something called 'barrier burst' which seems to up your attack power but cause your health to drain off... got a trophy for discovering that one.

Next I jumped into online mode to get a baptism of fire. BIG MISTAKE. First thing noticed is that the custom filter for beginners rooms returns no results. That's a clue. So I did quick match, and oh my god the humiliation! I didn't land a single hit, the other dude just spammed out some constant stream of bullets type move that I got caught in and couldn't move.

It turns out I had joined a lobby, so I got to watch all the other players facing off in a round robin kind of way.. very nice - but they were clearly all experts, and it took a long time for my go to cycle round again which was over in 5 seconds - instant humiliation.

One nice touch is that the characters language alters based on all the players, so my Ragna was speaking english but the other guy was speaking Japanese.

After a while I went seeking a beginner room again and found one, but this guy is obviously a beginner in the 'played it a lot before but doesn't feel very confident' sense. I fought him for five 3-round matches and never won a single round, lol. I don't feel too bad because I really have never played this type of fighter before, but if there doesn't get to be a bit more balance in the online mode it's going to be hard to keep motivation to try.

At this point my girlfriend came home and I had to turn it off because she complained it is disgustingly geeky, and I have to admit she's got a bit of a point! Will get more practice in when she's at work tomorrow.

(although I am going to sneakily try the PSP remote play mode later on, will post my experiences)
    Last edited by Darwock; 26-06-2009, 09:24.

Since I'm one of the few getting the PS3 version I guess I'll let you kick me around a bit when it comes out in the US

Comment

I'll be getting PS3 too. Thanks for your first impressions, Darwock. Hope you find some rhythm with the game soon.

Comment

I just had a shot of remote play.

I wasn't too hopeful as the XMB over the PSP was as laggy as ever... started the game and went into the training mode to figure out some moves, after turning on input history I noticed that surprisingly I was getting perfect response times from my inputs! I don't know how they have done it, but there is no noticable difference between playing on the console and on the PSP - except of course, for the ****ty d-pad on my PSP-1000.

I went back into arcade mode to do a few stages and it plays perfectly. I expect online won't work if your PS3 is wirelessly connected (like mine) but didn't get the chance to try.

Oh and the real story mode seems to be told via full anime cutscenes, which is nice - but again I had to cut it short.

Comment

Very Impressive on the Remote Play front. You need one of those d-pad things to make it better (I got one with Tekken years back).

Darwock, I don't know that much about BlazBlue (but am interested) but the Guilty Gear series always struck me as fairly "expert". I would say you would gain a lot by checking it out in the arcades (I assume you are near some) as I felt that really opened it up for me on GG. I was rubbish at GGXX but it is very enjoyable with a stick.

Look fwd to hearing more.

I'd be PS3 as well.

Comment

I'll be on PS3 as well to begin with (& 360 later on) but wont be venturing online until I can get my grubby mits on a Fight Stick of some description & get some serious practice in.

Liking the sound of this SO much...I love GG & Hokuto No Ken so this will be right up my street.

Neil

Comment

Originally posted by Darwock View Post
              Oh and the real story mode seems to be told via full anime cutscenes, which is nice - but again I had to cut it short.
              Checking again, I was wrong - they are just slightly animated stills, not full animation. Nice artwork though.

Comment

I had an hour or two with this yesterday and it blew me away. It's HD Guilty Gear basically, I was never a huge fan but I never did give GG much time and Blazblue immediately put me in the mood for giving it some time.

Firstly, the backgrounds are mind****ingly beautiful. The animation is typical Arc, ie no SFIII, but its all very pretty. The usual rawk music presentation but I found it less headache inducing than GG. The audio lacks a bit of weight though unfortunately.

I got up to the last boss on my first credit. Haven't figured out any systems other than the heat bars yet but its beautifully paced with easy to string quarter-circle combos and sweet supers. Loads of cancelling and recoveries. Nice simple 4 button affair. Whilst setting controls I noticed there appears to be some sort of move programming option on the right stick though, I hope I'm wrong about that.

Played a quick online match, presumably against some Japanese dude. The first few seconds seemed to be about 5fps then it jumped to full speed.

Menus are nice, you can set Japanese audio with subs.

Comment

I always thought Guilty Gear played quite wel with Squarepusher on the CD player

Comment

I've made a thread in the online forum for peeps to share their PSN/Gamertags > here

Comment

I think I found the training advice section today, which is subtitled "Teach Me Boobie Lady!" and hosted by Litchi, unfortunately at this point there is nothing in it, only an opening. I hope it's tips for the gameplay and not the story, that would be kind of useless.

I also went through story mode for Ragna, cleared it but only 53&#37; complete so there must be alternate paths. This kind of story mode really annoys me though, where you have to page through screens of text to fight one round, and if you lose you have to reload and go through all the text again ><

I've managed to chain together a few more nice moves but I still have nothing even vaguely resembling tactics... I'm just trying to hit people. That said I won my first player match today (lost all the others) so I'm not as discouraged as I was yesterday.

I joined a lobby with 3 other players, all of them were using Litchi.. lol. I'm sticking to Ragna for now as he's the only one I know the moves of. I quite fancy learning Jin Kisaragi though as he gives me a lot of trouble when I fight him. And Haku-men... he's a nightmare to beat, but I don't like the fact you can't do certain moves of his unless you have X number of stored heat gauges.. I don't want to have to pay attention to that during a fight.

Comment

The Boobie lady thing is so very odd (aka Japanese) as is the masses of text in story mode. Fair play for translating it all but its going to be lost on a western audience. I got a bonus drama CD with 5 voice tracks and callendar wallpapers too.

Comment

gah all this excitement, mine hasnt even been shipped yet, although granted him waiting for the 30th for USA one from VG+

Comment

Originally posted by Largo View Post
                            gah all this excitement, mine hasnt even been shipped yet, although granted him waiting for the 30th for USA one from VG+
                            Same here.

Comment

only concern about this game is the constant speaking of the characters, whenever they perform any more even a normal hit they seem to say something...could get freaking annoying after a while
                              Wonder what the english dub will be like

i attack, ive hit you, im attacking, ive hit you

Comment

Working...
                              X