No announcement yet.

Ryu Ga Gotoku 4 / Yakuza 4 (PS3)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agree with that. You get more breadth but less depth. I loved Tanimura's and Akiyama's stories, though, and it was refreshing not to have to spend the whole game as Mr Serious Eyebrows/The Dragon of Dojima again. I seem to remember there's a NG+ option which is basically totally open, so you can focus on any character/activity you want, eg Saejima's wrestling dojo, Akiyama's hostess bar, etc.

Comment

Yeah, I was just getting into the hostess management and then it was taken away. I'd happily play a game that just focused on Akiyama. Spent some time getting to date a hostess with Tanimura last night.

Shame you can't date the table tennis girl.

Comment

Originally posted by chopemon View Post
        Shame you can't date the table tennis girl.
        Hehe. Agreed. The 'rewards' for beating/getting her flustered are brilliantly wrong.

Roll on YaK5 and more of this kind of thing!

Comment

Brings back fond memories!
          Back when it was released it was my game of the year.
          Very excited about the Yakuza 5 release, so we know if its getting a retail release? want a copy to go with my physical 3 & 4 games.

Comment

No, it's digital only, unfortunately. Release date tentatively sketched in for 'summer', I think.

Comment

Digital only I'm afraid

Might get the digital release then find a cheap Japanese box copy as somethng to represent it on my shelf.

Comment

That's a neat idea, actually.

Comment

Originally posted by chopemon View Post
                  Digital only I'm afraid

Might get the digital release then find a cheap Japanese box copy as somethng to represent it on my shelf.
                  That's my plan. Have 4 & Dead Souls on PAL, plus 3, 4, 5 & OTE on JP.

Comment

Yeah I will probably do the same, as I own the rest of the English language releases physically.

Little love for Yak 1 and 2 though, did people not play those?

Comment

Finished this last night. Loved almost all of the game, the only let down was the boss fights.

The combat system is fine for providing fodder enemies as you run round the world and do quests. You get in skirmishes in alleys outside ramen shops and raid yakuza offices and it's all fine. Not challenging but the Heat moves are cool. Get to the last bosses and the way they make them challenging is to give them combos that stun lock you for ages, attacks that can't be interrupted by your attacks and their attacks interrupt yours without any problem. One of the bosses has a large group of minions that have a high attack rate frequency so you can't actually complete a combo against them, you just get interrupted. Just a frustrating grind of attack, dodge, attack, get hit unfairly, chug health drinks, repeat.

The story wraps up satisfyingly though.

The best part is just exploring the game world, trying all the activities and doing the side quests. The side quests are often quite touching with interesting characters that have human problems you can relate to. The only problem is that some characters (most notably Akiyama) feel like they need more story time to make the most of the side quests. Late on in Akiyama's section you get to run a hostess club and train girls up to improve the business. By the time you unlock that you're one or two story missions away from ending his section and moving on to a new character. You can grind that gameplay out 30 hours later when you can go back to playing as Akiyama (the best character in the game) but it really feels like it should be something you work at over the course of the 50 hours of the game.

Excellent game and I can't believe it took me this long to get into the series. Looking forward to Yakuza 5 and hopefully it will convince them to bring out the PS4 games.

Comment

Working...
                      X