Ryu Ga Gotoku 4 / Yakuza 4 (PS3)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ryu Ga Gotoku 4 / Yakuza 4 (PS3)

Yeah, so I finally got the game after initially sending it to the wrong address, somehow and, well, as a fan of the franchise I'm not disappointed so far.

All of my thoughts from the demo pretty much remain true twelve hours in; the tweaks, new minigames and new cast members are a whole lot of fun to varying degrees, but this remains primarily for people who liked the previous four titles. The tech is still outdated, the gameplay is by and large exactly the same, and there are any number of silly 'videogame' aspects to it that'd drive the mainstream up the wall... often with good reason. At the same time, Sega have visibly tweaked it; the gameplay is as fun as ever it was; and if you're into old-school, this is pretty much as good as it gets, nowadays.

The characters are introduced one by one, seems like, though I'm on Saejima's (tough guy) fourth chapter and I've had a cameo from one of the others. Akiyama (moneylender) is the first character, and he plays through a sequence of events without knowing much about what's going on (no, I barely speak any Japanese, but some of the story is readable from just watching the visuals - it seems pretty obvious he's kept fairly in the dark through most of it). Then someone else turns up (won't say who!) and says okay, I'll give you some pointers as to what this is all about; it all began many years ago when... and then Saejima's story begins. You can't switch between them (at least not so far) or go back to previous chapters, though I think achievements and collectibles carry over.

I'm really enjoying the story, at least from as much of it as I can pick up. Akiyama was fun, but Saejima's just kicked the awesome through the roof - his introduction, where you see

the massacre he commited that had him put away for more than a decade

is one of the most bone-chillingly terrifying things I've ever seen in a videogame. Not new, if you've ever seen more than a handful of gangster movies, but brilliantly, brilliantly done. The narrative seems fairly serious, with none of the outlandish touches of #3 -

no CIA agents or anything like that so far

- though the revelations and sidequests are frequently as ludicrous as ever. The nods to the previous games are a lot of fun, though oddly if there's a recap in there I don't see it. Perhaps they figured given it's a fairly standalone narrative you shouldn't need one.

The rest is by the numbers; collecting, brawling and the minigames are all in fine form, though sexy ping-pong is annoyingly limited - very little moving around and no way to gauge your power that I can see. If only they'd just ripped off Rockstar Table Tennis...

Oh, and for conspiracy theorists/angry nerds, I'd like to see them cut managing the hostess clubs this time - it seems to be a fairly vital part of Akiyama's story that he has to go through it at least twice.

I doubt many people will be playing it, but hey - there you go, if you were curious. If you want to know anything else and can't be bothered to track down ThePatrick on GameFAQs, I'll do my best to answer.
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

Are there any noticeable visual improvements over Yakuza 3?

Comment

Is it easier to play than Kenzan!? That game became too complicated for me towards the end. I found myself having to write things down so I knew what I had and had not done, even with ThePatrick's FAQ.

Funnily enough I finally managed to get hold of part 3 today so I prolly won't be playing 4 for a while, but I'm still quite interested to see how it compares to Kenzan!.
      Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Hmmm, not sure. I found Kenzan the easiest in the franchise, basically. There's only one part where you need a FAQ to avoid a hell of a lot of trial and error. I've only got stuck once so far on #4, though, and even then I knew precisely what I needed to do and it was just because the last person I needed to talk to was hiding in a new location that I couldn't progress ('Who is it? Who??? Oh, okay, they were sitting down there in that bit I keep forgetting exists now').

I would say yes there are improvements over #3, but not great. I'm pretty sure it's still basically the exact same engine, it's just now you have rain/reflective water (chapters still happen at set times of day and with set weather, though); some of the post-processing effects on the finishers look a little flashier to me (though this could be wishful thinking) and they seem to have rejigged some of the cutscenes so they're not all blatantly using the high-detail models with the improved lighting and some look a lot closer to the regular engine. The transitions basically seem a lot less jarring to me, though again, it's not like I've compared this with a magnifying glass or anything.

Comment

Nice impressions Eight Rooks, can't wait to get hold of my copy, it's stuck in customs atm, does it give you any bonus items if you have a save from Ryu Ga Gotoku 3 like with the previous games.

Comment

Thanks for the impressions I own Ryu ga gotoku 1 and was wonderin how this was compared to the previous games. Look fwd to more impressions from you Eight Rooks.

Comment

Second what Ju said, nice reading.

Completed and loved 1 & 2 but can't justify purchasing a PS3 just for the continuation of the Yakuza series.

Out of interest how does the introduction of 4 key playable characters work out?

A structured alternate chapter setup or more varied?

Comment

Phar: You do get bonus items for a Ryu Ga Gotoku Kenzan! or #3 save, yes.

I did say the characters were introduced one by one, as in you play through one character, then it changes to the next guy's story. You sure you were reading? Akiyama gets about five chapters, I think it was; still on Saejima so far, up to chapter four or so, but most of his early chapters center on one main event at a time - his story (mild spoilers)

takes about an hour and a half (!) before he even gets to Kamurocho.

You do see characters you've already met as someone else; just met one supporting character from Akiyama's story whose name I can't remember, and also (again, spoilers, though you can work most of this out from the intro)

as Saejima, you meet Kazuma in Okinawa,

which leads to pretty much the most badass fight of the game so far - right up there for atmosphere with the bosses from Kenzan. Very strange having

Kazuma as an NPC, let alone an opponent!

Still enjoying it, still not found anywhere else that's had me stuck. Can't seem to turn up as many sidequests right at the moment, but I just got Saejima's hideout and his instructor (each character has a different one now, for anyone who didn't know); Saejima's is pretty amusing/fun to work for.
                Last edited by Eight Rooks; 28-03-2010, 15:12.

Comment

Okay, still going; Akiyama took me about ten hours to clear, but I was done with Saejima in a little over five. His story's kind of annoying at the end in that it funnels you straight through a linear path to the final boss fight - I wouldn't have minded so much except it really doesn't seem to give you much warning the home stretch is about to start. You even get a fairly big sidequest right before that which for the life of me I couldn't work out any way to carry on with; did a bit of it, thought 'Okay, I'll check out the rest of the city again, come back in a while', stepped outside and the game wouldn't let me back in. Then I was practically forced into his end game. >_< On the other hand, Saejima does get the two best boss fights so far; first
                  , and then, well, any
                  fans (aren't we all?) should be pretty happy with this one. You even get to see

how he lost his eye!

Really enjoying it still. Again, I realise the dialogue could be bloody awful for all I know, but overall this could well be my second favourite of the franchise behind Kenzan.

Comment

Aaand Tanimura's also pretty cool. His fighting's nifty - he gets a parry, which while it has an extremely generous window is a lot of fun to use - power up, grab their punch, spin, you're behind them - and his throw is two- or three- stage - grab them, then either combo punch, or kick them away, or submission hold, then from the hold either reverse kick them in the head or move to a wrist hold then flip them. Haven't unlocked his arrest move yet, though, as far as I can tell.

His gimmick - or one of them - is (these are all only minor spoilers, but people who don't want any details even a year in advance, be aware )

he gets mini-missions over the police radio. There's something weirdly compelling about these - message comes in saying incident in (wherever), and even in Japanese it's relatively easy to pause, go to the map, remind yourself where that is (they always seem to be pretty close by), then hunt down the target. They're generally either fights or chase battles, but there's a fair bit of variation, and they earn him a ton of money.

Also, at last I've found out what that bloody part of the map I couldn't get into was!

It's Chinatown. He's friends with... I know his name's Ah Zeng, but I don't know precisely who he is... community leader? Tying into the story in at least one very interesting way so far, though. Masayuki gets his hideout in Ah Zeng's restaurant, and the area's beautifully modelled - great cutscene introducing it, too.

Should really, really bring tears to the eye of any Shenmue fan.

The Chinese accents don't seem quite as bad as #3, either.

Comment

Sounds good as expected. Where'd you get it from? I may have to pick it up myself later this year as have too much to play now and over the next couple of months.

Comment

Preordered from YesAsia. Too late to get a Kamutai this time, though, apparently.

Comment

Twenty-seven and a half hours in and I've reached the home stretch. Got the dream team assembled, got the prompt for what I assume is the final mission, free to run around tidying up whatever loose ends I feel like before we ride out. Going to get Saejima to train up a fighter, do my darndest to get some more wins at the coliseum, try some more sexy table tennis, max out all four characters if I can manage it, see if Tanimura's got any more side missions, see if I can finally redeem the bloody keys I've collected...

Like Teddy says over in the thread for #3, I don't want this to end either.

At the same time I do, because I'm dying to see how awesome the end's going to be.

(The penultimate chapter even tops #2 - it's like the second game if its ending wasn't ****.)

Comment

Only just made a start on this, only a bit into Saejima's story so far, awesome from what I've played though, Akiyama is a great new character, some of the combo's you can pull off with him after unlocking a few moves are incredible, there was one fight when I must of hit someone around 20 times before he could even get himself back up, the heat moves where you can

take down all the surrounding characters

and the one

where he does an handstand on their head before knee dropping them

are both painful and fantastic to watch.

The first mini boss

when you go to save Kido, he runs off after a good kicking then comes back shortly after with a chainsaw

and the main one at the end of the chapter

where he's making a nuisance of himself in the hostess bar singing Karaoke

were both excellent and funny scenes and that was early doors so really looking forward to seeing the others. The first revelation is a WTF moment as well, couldn't stop laughing at that one.

Mini games are great so far, can't understand Pachinko for **** though, also nice to see they've added online leaderboads for them as that was something I really wanted in part 3, especially for Boxcellios
                            Last edited by Phar; 06-04-2010, 00:03.

Comment

Yes, but I really hope the online leaderboards are glitched, because I don't like thinking about how someone's managed to play Boxcelios for long enough to rack up forty-two million points.

And yes, Akiyama's three-way Heat move just never gets old. I think it's just Saejima who doesn't get any multi-target actions. Kazuma and Tanimura can both take out two enemies at once.

I haven't got them all, but the revelations stay pretty freaky, rest assured. Never quite as freaky as you-know-who; Akiyama's first is pretty much the most bizarre. Character by character Saejima's wood-carving is still my favourite, though. He's the only one who gets a proper animation for screwing them up, too.

And trust me, the game just keeps upping the ante, over and over again. Tanimura's final boss had me practically punching the air in delight - it's a two-part fight and both times I could not believe the action went where it went.

EDIT: And after my last post - kind of annoying that only Saejima and Kazuma can fight in the Coliseum. Makes sense in a way, and it wasn't too surprising - I already knew not every character can play every minigame - but it makes those two a lot easier to level up. You only get a trickle of XP out of random fights.

Comment

Working...
                              X