No announcement yet.

Ryu Ga Gotoku 4 / Yakuza 4 (PS3)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like the best one yet. Any ideas where I can pick this up without paying an extortionate amount?

Comment

Haven't a clue, unfortunately, Paddy.

I highly doubt I can be bothered to do too much more before finishing the story - I've never been too fond of putting off the end of the world ('The universe is collapsing! Fancy a game of Blitzball?') - but that's not to ignore that the side stuff here continues to be tremendous fun. Was training a fighter in #3? I never found it there if it was, but it's hilariously entertaining. There's five of them in all, who get progressively harder to beat into shape (organise their schedule - training, practice bouts, heart-to-hearts; learn special moves and sort their 'deck' out to taste; book them into matches; use your winnings to purchase new and more efficient training routines). You're finished with one once they successfully beat a particular three-round tournament, after which they become available to join Kazuma or Saejima in two-on-two tournaments in the Coliseum. It's definitely a minigame more than a fully-fledged game mode - no speech, lots of repetition, somewhat limited - but it's fantastic all the same and more than playable on import. I could see someone sinking ten hours at least into this alone; if they cut this from any localisation, that would be worth getting very angry over.

Comment

Fired this up again yesterday after a bit of a break, mainly due to it being far too nice outside for gaming, up to the part where you finally gain control of Kazuma, his fight outside and inside the Shopping Mall thats under construction was fantasic, especially the bit where your fighting in

the dark

, the finale to that bit reminded me a little of part 2 as well.

To say one of the main criticism of the series is it doesn't change much I've really enjoyed what they've implemented so far over previous games like the extra fighting styles, new areas i.e rooftops, underground carpark & shopping centre, the sewerage system. The leveling up system is a lot nicer to deal with as well, each new move is worth a set number of orbs and if you have enough you can purchase it.

Another new feature,

the speed boat

chase where you need to steer and shoot was a nice addition as well.

So far compared to 3 it's been non stop action which will please some as a few didn't enjoy the Orphanage parts, really looking forward to playing this again in English next year.

Comment

Somebody help me out please. I'm totally stuck now. There is no arrow on the map for me to head towards, and I'm just going around fighting. The last thing I did was meet a black guy on the roof of my building, and learn a heat move from a transvestite Spider-Man type.
          Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Has no one been playing the UK release that came out a few weeks ago?

I'm broke, so have not myself, but was hoping for some comments regarding the English language version.

No one?

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
              Sounds like the best one yet. Any ideas where I can pick this up without paying an extortionate amount?
              got mine at zavvi for ?29.99 delivered

Comment

Originally posted by Sketcz View Post
                Has no one been playing the UK release that came out a few weeks ago?

I'm broke, so have not myself, but was hoping for some comments regarding the English language version.

No one?
                I've not had the time to give it the marathon play it deserves. But based on the first 2 hours, it's completely brilliant. It's Yakuza, but with some wisely chosen new twists and distractions from the main story.

It really benefits from starting with a new character, and the opening hour has its fair share of humour, new faces, and plot intrigue....A more confident start than the orphanage japes of 3 that's for sure.

New guy Akiyama's charm smacked me right in the face. The man's sensational.

I dunno, my opinions are a bit slight at the mo, but based on what I've played it looks to be as good as 2, and to me, essential if you like the series

Comment

Got this today after game had it for ?25 on Tuesday.
                  Really good start to the game, I'm only an hour in so far, but presentation wise seems a lot more polished than yakuza 3.
                  Hopefully it will keep up the more adult theme than go on about the orphanage in 3 which dragged on for me

Comment

Wheres the cheapest place atm for this please ?
                    Last edited by yesteryeargames; 31-03-2011, 00:32.

Comment

i have it and love it

Comment

Originally posted by yesteryeargames View Post
                        Wheres the cheapest place atm for this please ?
                        ShopTo have it for just under ?25, best I can find at the moment.

Comment

I'm loving this at the minute, not many games these days I can play and the hours just fly by!
                          There's so much to do with all the mini games, quests and challenges, many that are additional to Yakuza 3 (the western version anyway). I'm loving the whole hostess girl missions and games which were cut from the western Yakuza 3.
                          This seems to be a pretty much perfect game for me. Story, Tokyo/Japanese theme, loads of variations in game play through the side games.
                          The only negatives that don't make it perfect for me are the game engine can be pretty old hat at times and it jars against other things which ruins the believability somewhat. Sometimes an in game movie with spoken voice will play then it cuts to the same scene but you need to progress through going through text dialog windows and then it goes back to the movie! why? you can't change anything or make a choice when you interact so make it all a movie!
                          I hate it when games require you to press a button all the time when it loads or saves a save file, just do it automatically! Some PS3 developers can do this stuff seamlessly why do others have such cumbersome old gen load and save mechanisms.

Other than these minor gripes it build upon everything good about Yakuza 3 and adds so much more, Yakuza 4 is a must own IMO.

Comment

Yeah, the switches from cinematic cut-scene to text based dialog with almost motionless characters are pretty jarring. Text dialog isn't a problem when I'm just wandering the city, but it's a shame it occurs in the main plot.

Think it's just a time thing due to them bringing a Yakuza out every year.

That's the only area I can fault it though really, I love that each addition to the series just builds on what makes it great, and adds more and more great characters, rather than feeling the need to change things entirely...though Yakuza of the End monkeys with that theory I guess. It's just a really appealing mix of story, exploration and punching, and the balance of all those things is sweeter in 4 than it's ever been. S'ace.

My gal got quite absorbed in the hostess side of things too, which is great.

Comment

Originally posted by crocky-chocky View Post
                              Yeah, the switches from cinematic cut-scene to text based dialog with almost motionless characters are pretty jarring. Text dialog isn't a problem when I'm just wandering the city, but it's a shame it occurs in the main plot.

Think it's just a time thing due to them bringing a Yakuza out every year.

That's the only area I can fault it though really, I love that each addition to the series just builds on what makes it great, and adds more and more great characters, rather than feeling the need to change things entirely...though Yakuza of the End monkeys with that theory I guess. It's just a really appealing mix of story, exploration and punching, and the balance of all those things is sweeter in 4 than it's ever been. S'ace.

My gal got quite absorbed in the hostess side of things too, which is great.

I don't think it's a time thing at all, I am pretty certain it's a design choice that they do that with the cutscenes.

As for the game I loved it, completed it with 45 hours or so on the clock and I still have a load of stuff to do especially for side stories. Personally I preferred Yakuza 2 and Yakuza 3 over it but that's mostly because I love Kazuma and would rather play a full game as him more than anything, not really because the game's 'poorer' or anything.

Love this series, I just really wish it would sell more in the West.

Comment

Kenzan > 4 > 1 > 3 > 2 for me. And no, I'm pretty sure it's only a 'design' thing to keep most cutscenes text in that it's 'designed' so they don't have to go to the trouble of recording and compressing that much voice, to say nothing of animating it all rather than just having people sitting there. I adore the series, but it's still an excuse for Sega to print money as cheaply as possible - make as few changes as possible, but still make enough updates the games stay relatively fresh even though they're re-using the same area over and over again.

Comment

Working...
                                X